I blew my road test... badly.

Box Ox

Uh.....no.

1ruhj1.jpg

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Just asked this woman if she liked college football...she says well hell yea...I said you wanna discuss that Alabama D!? Then she slapped me square in the lips

MrFeeder

Now that's perfectly reasonable. Part timers with sweet side gigs have it made.

Going FT driver if you're one of those folks is a huge, huge, HUUUUUUUGE mistake.
Huge mistake? I'm making well over 110k a year without a college degree full time driving. And that's most likely going up to 150k once I'm feeders which I'm about to be. This job bought me a house and I'm only in my late 20s. Some people are so spoiled and talk down to this job like they didn't benefit from it. This job is not for the weak in the beginning but if you can hang and make it to feeders, then you can roll with the big dogs. Easy money.

Box Ox

if you can hang and make it to feeders, then you can roll with the big dogs. Easy money.

No feeder bids in a lotta areas.

I've definitely benefited from going FT. But if I'd had a "sweet side gig" I probably wouldn't have. Lotta air drivers make lots of money outside of UPS and are thrilled they didn't make the jump.

Johney

Huge mistake? I'm making well over 110k a year without a college degree full time driving. And that's most likely going up to 150k once I'm feeders which I'm about to be. This job bought me a house and I'm only in my late 20s. Some people are so spoiled and talk down to this job like they didn't benefit from it. This job is not for the weak in the beginning but if you can hang and make it to feeders, then you can roll with the big dogs. Easy money.
Feeders in your late 20's? Consider yourself lucky, ask yourself how you'd feel about friend/T driving if it took you as long to get into feeders as you are old.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Computer Science.

Programming became a lot less fun when forced to do it 10 hours a day. Sure it pays decent right off the bat but money isn't everything and now I can go home and actually enjoy doing computer stuff and make a little extra doing it.

I didn't see if you've already been employed in the Computer Science field, but putting off using your degree may make it hard to change back into that field. Can you find some type of temporary contract that at least let's you give that career a shot?

I guarantee you 10 hours a day behind a desk will give you more flexibility than 10 hours delivering packages. Not to mention the fact that by the time you would make full-time we will be into a new contract...who knows how new drivers will be screwed with that but I'm sure they will lose something.

Good luck!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

How do you make $150k just by going it feeders?

I'm in feeders and know of few who reach that amount. They are on 5 day 600 mile mileage runs or very high mileage sleeper runs. I've yet to meet any an 20 something year olds doing either of those runs.

clean hairy

I didn't see if you've already been employed in the Computer Science field, but putting off using your degree may make it hard to change back into that field. Can you find some type of temporary contract that at least let's you give that career a shot?

I guarantee you 10 hours a day behind a desk will give you more flexibility than 10 hours delivering packages. Not to mention the fact that by the time you would make full-time we will be into a new contract...who knows how new drivers will be screwed with that but I'm sure they will lose something.

Good luck!
You will have far more aches and pain delivering packages for 25 years than you will have in an office environment using your degree.

Nike

Not to mention the fact that by the time you would make full-time we will be into a new contract...who knows how new drivers will be screwed with that but I'm sure they will lose something.

Good luck!

I hate this mentality. Our company is doing well, internet sales are growing which is a big part of our business, and in many hubs it has become difficult hanging on to good people. I don't see why this next contract can't be a boon for alll of us, anything less will hurt the company in the long run.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Back to the OP...

You're already established in your chosen field.

If u wanna try driving, goto Amazon flex. Get a 4 hour block, play Tetris with the boxes they give you to cram in your mini Cooper, and have at it

I assume u already have a smartphone, so uber is also going for an on call delivery service as well. Try your hand in those

Heck, u can try driving for a subcontractor for FedEx since their bar is set lower

Don't quit your desk job

BrownTruckWannabe

Also, it's not like I can go get a programming job tomorrow. It's very competitive, especially in my area. Usually they only hire people right out of college with amazing gpas that come out of the best schools. I don't have any of that going for me. I would have to do a lot of extra work to build a portfolio before I'm actually employable. The startup I worked at was the only place that would hire me and it was 25k a year. No benefits.

I'm going to be working part time and getting better benefits that I've ever had and still have time to work on my own software rather than someone else's. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me