I guess amazon is upgrading ?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Who’s maintaining these vehicles?
they're subcontractors, like FXG... they'll have to find fleet shops/mobile mechanics to do it.

or someone like me that can do minor maintenance myself in my own driveway (which i don't anymore)

hmm, those new stepvans do have AC and charging ports for their "raBBit" scanners & cellphones; i may jump ship if they build an AMAZON DSP terminal near me.

heck, i'll become a driver trainer, like what i did in the past & show them All Good Kids Like Milk!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
sorry I just found it in the amazon DSP reddit. you all should go read there if youre bored lol
The comments are freaking gold lmao.

Looks like they have Orion too.
ABD06EEE-649A-4FCA-ADC1-9CFE7924F8DB.jpeg

542thruNthru

What should they do, go flip burgers for $10 an hour?Amazon put them in a small Sprinter van for that $15 an hour. Now, Amazon wants to put them in a truck with no air conditioning at that same $15 an hour. Yes, they have a right to bitch.

They have a right to organize. Same as us.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They have a right to bitch. They make $15 an hour.

I laugh when I hear a $40 an hour UPS driver, bitch.
Money had little to do with actual work conditions and of people are going to Bitch or not.

My wife makes over $100 an hour and they’ve lost half of their workforce in the last year because they started working over 30 hours per week. They all left for a better work environment even if they make a little less.

oldngray

nowhere special
Amazon has been building a bunch of distribution centers and been replacing the crappy truck subcontractors with new employees driving Amazon painted vans. They still have a long way to go but are at least up to semi professional level. Maybe ahead of FedEx Ground.

542thruNthru

Wouldn't they have to organize every little DSP contractor? If that's the case Amazon would simply manufacture a reason to sever their relationship and find another sucker to take over.

Have to start somewhere. Organizing isn't easy. It would also tell amazon they need to pay more to keep employees happy. Just like FedEx tries to stay close to us in pay to keep a union out.

OrioN

Amazon has been building a bunch of distribution centers and been replacing the crappy truck subcontractors with new employees driving Amazon painted vans. They still have a long way to go but are at least up to semi professional level. Maybe ahead of FedEx Ground.
wrong!

those Amazon painted vans are leased to the DSP subcontractors. and @Rick Ross is correct with how hard it is to unionize subocontractor companies; that's why Amazon adopted the subcontractor model over hiring Amazon employee drivers

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't see how these DSP's are gonna stay in business a few years down the road. Maintenance costs are going to be a huge operating expense and I'm guessing they will all start having issues around the same time, just like our tractors

The Sprinters in my area are already beat up and they aren't even a year old. I think they were a lease purchase, after 5 years their gonna be scrap.

OrioN

i'm thinking Amazon leases them to those DSPs & has connections with fleet shops/ mechanics to help maintain them. not like at FXG, where those subcontractors have to find the shops/mechanics on their own

a911scanner

Ugh, these jokers sold it to FXG, but renamed it to DRO...
-Dynamic Route Optimization

-The struggle for someone new to this is that your 123 Main St. stop might be stop number 4 one day, and stop 98 the next day.

-DRO is stupid and terribly flawed

-DRO has routing flaws and you might start with a 3000 then to 8500, to 1000, to 8000, to 1500 etc.

Sounds VERY familiar.

Hasn't anybody figured out to just deliver it in shelf order, thereby doing RDO?

OrioN

Over at FXG, yup. Those with area knowledge and have a set bid route every day will do so.

The cover drivers, however, will get that short end of the straw & not get extra pay for being out on route later

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They could drive a truck with no air conditioning for UPS for around 35$ an hour.

That's still $20 an hour more than Amazon and $10 an hour more than FedEx, and includes full benefits.

What you quoted is also a minority of the workforce, who also have the opportunity down the road to get one of those $40 an hour jobs.

Amazon and FedEx are topped out, no hope of seeing that $40 an hour.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Money had little to do with actual work conditions and of people are going to Bitch or not.

My wife makes over $100 an hour and they’ve lost half of their workforce in the last year because they started working over 30 hours per week. They all left for a better work environment even if they make a little less.

Money can overcome some working conditions.

$40 an hour can overcome some working conditions that $15 an hour cannot overcome.

For $40 an hour, I can handle delivering hundred pound bags of dog food.

I don't like it, but they pay me very well to do it.

Delivering those same hundred pound bags of dog food for $15 an hour, screw that.

I'll bet you those $100 an hour workers didn't take a different job with better working conditions for $40 an hour.

So yes, money does come into play.