I Love Fred

Billy_Baconhead

Which of course explains why split pay went away. I guess we'll have a reasonable expectation to get shafted.

Bingo! I'm with you guys 100% on having couriers come in for a couple hours in the morning. Then taking a 5 hr unpaid break to start a pickup route. Actually I'm starting to see this happen at my station. We've got a couple Full-time drivers who aren't getting 7 hours ( do to dissolving routes recently) so the managers are making them do FO's or run shuttles to the ramp.

mitchel

Bingo! I'm with you guys 100% on having couriers come in for a couple hours in the morning. Then taking a 5 hr unpaid break to start a pickup route. Actually I'm starting to see this happen at my station. We've got a couple Full-time drivers who aren't getting 7 hours ( do to dissolving routes recently) so the managers are making them do FO's or run shuttles to the ramp.
i can confirm this is happening. there is not enough work to keep swing drivers, we are getting the crap that other fulltimers say no to. but i still refuse to give in, i will take the 4 or 5 hour split to make them pay me.

Ricochet1a

i can confirm this is happening. there is not enough work to keep swing drivers, we are getting the crap that other fulltimers say no to. but i still refuse to give in, i will take the 4 or 5 hour split to make them pay me.

It is all VERY deliberate. Despite the talk here, I haven't heard any info regarding doing away with minimum pay.

However, there is a deliberate move to force full timers who work less than minimums, to force them to work days with long splits - or forgo their minimum pay if they refuse. As long as a full-timer refused to work just one split shift in a week, they can be denied minimum pay -considered voluntary waiving of minimums for week. The requirements for minimum pay include "having worked all hours scheduled or offered". By turning down hours - minimums are waived for the week.

It is deliberate in that Express knows people don't want to sit on their butts for over 3 hours (unpaid), waiting to do another 3 hours of work.

Not many full-timers will hang around for long, having to put in a 50+ hour week (15+ of that unpaid), just to get 35 hours of pay.

Again, some will do it for awhile - some will do it longer than others. Not many will do it with no end in sight after a year of this.

mitchel

you are right, many have already said no. mostly old timers who have no clue how to do a pup route that is not in their area..(and think things will get better) i have no proplem doing it, i dont have kids and my house is paid off, so i admit im better at being able to handle it than most. i just go to lunch and see a movie, if they want to work me for 3 hours in the morning and then two in the afternoon..fine. just pay me my minimums

Goldilocks

Its happening already... pull your head out.

Wow, for someone who no longer works for Fedex you sure have a way of upsetting people. It may happen at some locations due to staffing. Why are you trying to STIR THE POT? We are in this boat not you, but you continue with your agenda. I dont get it....

jmeti000

Wow, for someone who no longer works for Fedex you sure have a way of upsetting people. It may happen at some locations due to staffing. Why are you trying to STIR THE POT? We are in this boat not you, but you continue with your agenda. I dont get it....

Maybe he has a heart and still cares for the people who work at FDX and their well being, unlike what we have been seeing from corporate lately?

thedownhillEXPRESS

Stir the pot?
Can't you see the water is already starting to boil all around you?

TUT

Was told by a lawyer that there's such a thing legally as "a reasonable expectation.". He used pensions as an example. He said that if when hired you are told you work X years you get a pension then you have a reasonable expectation that you will get that pension. May be why when the traditional pension was terminated we still got something in it's place. And may be why if company told us when hiring us that we are guaranteed 35 hrs as a FTer that they have an obligation to provide that. Whether that's so or not I don't know but I do know there are often legal ramifications involved that prevent companies from just doing whatever they like. And when they do overstep their bounds they get their wrist slapped in court. Or worse.

In terms of the pension, you were told you get a pension and have a reasonable expectation to get that. In general from what I know, they are delivering that. Now if it's up to the standards you want, well...

Ricochet1a

In regards to the old DBPP, look at your employee handbook....

It specifically states that the terms and conditions contained within the handbook DO NOT constitute a contract between the employee and FedEx (it specifically excludes those which are covered by a collective bargaining agreement - which just happens to be the pilots). The terms, conditions and benefits can be changed at any time by FedEx Corporation without consent of the employee. The employee is free to terminate the employer-employee relationship at ANY TIME.

Express' terminating the DBPP was the single most important thing they did to burn the relationship between itself and its employees. It is why I still get information from those who work with FedEx - they are still pissed that their pension was gutted.

Most companies would've instituted a "grandfather clause". They would've terminated the DBPP for those that hired in after a certain date, but retained it for everyone else hired before that hypothetical date. Express chose not to do that - since they wanted to start cashing in right away. So the DBPP was ended in 2008 for everyone, and those with less than 5 years in at that time were cashed out (a sum placed into the PPP), those with more than 5 years in had their benefit "capped" to 2008.

Those with over 25 years in as of 2008, actually came slightly ahead in the whole scheme, everyone else lost. Depending on time in, the less time one had in, the more they lost. I did an EXTENSIVE write up on this in late 2009, demonstrating just how much employees lost.

As a rule of thumb, a new hire lost about 8% of their total compensation, after the dropping of the DBPP - that is, an immediate cut in overall compensation of 8% the moment the DBPP went away. The amazing thing, is most didn't even blink an eye - they were too worried about bringing in a paycheck for the immediate future. For me, it is what started me on attempting to get Express organized - and learning a hell of a lot about the typical Express employee in the process.

Last edited:

vantexan

In terms of the pension, you were told you get a pension and have a reasonable expectation to get that. In general from what I know, they are delivering that. Now if it's up to the standards you want, well...

Not sure what your point is? I was talking about the 35 hr guarantee, lawyer used pension to illustrate what is considered a reasonable expectation.

vantexan

In regards to the old DBPP, look at your employee handbook....

It specifically states that the terms and conditions contained within the handbook DO NOT constitute a contract between the employee and FedEx (it specifically excludes those which are covered by a collective bargaining agreement - which just happens to be the pilots). The terms, conditions and benefits can be changed at any time by FedEx Corporation without consent of the employee. The employee is free to terminate the employer-employee relationship at ANY TIME.

Express' terminating the DBPP was the single most important thing they did to burn the relationship between itself and its employees. It is why I still get information from those who work with FedEx - they are still pissed that their pension was gutted.

Most companies would've instituted a "grandfather clause". They would've terminated the DBPP for those that hired in after a certain date, but retained it for everyone else hired before that hypothetical date. Express chose not to do that - since they wanted to start cashing in right away. So the DBPP was ended in 2008 for everyone, and those with less than 5 years in at that time were cashed out (a sum placed into the PPP), those with more than 5 years in had their benefit "capped" to 2008.

Those with over 25 years in as of 2008, actually came slightly ahead in the whole scheme, everyone else lost. Depending on time in, the less time one had in, the more they lost. I did an EXTENSIVE write up on this in late 2009, demonstrating just how much employees lost.

As a rule of thumb, a new hire lost about 8% of their total compensation, after the dropping of the DBPP - that is, an immediate cut in overall compensation of 8% the moment the DBPP went away. The amazing thing, is most didn't even blink an eye - they were too worried about bringing in a paycheck for the immediate future. For me, it is what started me on attempting to get Express organized - and learning a hell of a lot about the typical Express employee in the process.

Is the typical Express employee really different from employees at other companies? It's human nature to give the benefit of the doubt to your employer if he's been overall pretty good to you for years. I remember early on hearing numerous people compare FedEx with UPS. Sure UPS paid better, but they treated their people like crap was the reasoning. You go with the devil you know. What will be interesting is when employees are really hurting financially and they start hearing how well the company is doing, greatly increasing profits. Maybe it will finally sink in that they are just here to be used, and their usefulness has a short shelf life.