I Love Fred

SmithBarney

Well if FedEx is looking at cutting costs, they'll have to look at the whole opco... unfortunately the Pilots are Union
and can freeze the company in a heartbeat if they wanted to, thus the reason they are paid top $$, so they keep working.

TUT

Now Fred's ready to kick his once-fair-haired boys, the pilots to the curb as well.

Saw on FoxNews tonight, FedEx is exploring the feasabilty of using pilotless (drone) aircraft to move the freight.

Who will be left? Drones on the ground and in the air

Yeah that's the wrong line of thinking for sure. This is the stuff the automotive industry did, flee to near free labor because they couldn't control costs (or satisfy wall street vampires) the problems are many, but in Fedex's POV the problem will be if that happened it buys you a few years, then you are back to the same place controlling costs or satisfying Wall Street vampires. Now there is nowhere to go, check mate. So imo a deeper thinker has to realize buying a few years isn't an answer and keeping flesh working is. Yeah this is poor long term vision, imo.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't know if FedEx has a legal obligation to give us 35 hrs since they hired us with a guaranteed 35 hrs a week.

They don't. I'm sure there's probably an obscure exception or 2, but an employer isn't legally bound to give an employee a certain number of hours unless they are contractually obligated to do so.

STFXG

Pilots are also highly trained and educated. That's why they get the big money. They can't be easily replaced (like drivers). The majority of planes fly themselves completely as it is. Pilots are just there in case the on board system has a problem...

Goldilocks

Pilots are also highly trained and educated. That's why they get the big money. They can't be easily replaced (like drivers). The majority of planes fly themselves completely as it is. Pilots are just there in case the on board system has a problem...

VERY TRUE!! I miss jump seat...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They don't. I'm sure there's probably an obscure exception or 2, but an employer isn't legally bound to give an employee a certain number of hours unless they are contractually obligated to do so.

Always there to put a purple spin on it, aren't you? Between you and the girls Porridge Princess, I am about to throw-up. friend-A-K-E!!

TUT

That's the thing, low educated positions aren't being paid at Fedex or many companies well. Face it, if they could have farmed it to China, they would have. Answer, get better educated and do something else. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is real world at most places.

thedownhillEXPRESS

That's the thing, low educated positions aren't being paid at Fedex or many companies well. Face it, if they could have farmed it to China, they would have. Answer, get better educated and do something else. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is real world at most places.

This is why "low educated" workers need to get unionized.....

Ricochet1a

This is why "low educated" workers need to get unionized.....

Any worker (regardless of their education) who works for a large corporation and punches a clock or is paid by the hour.... should be unionized for their own protection.

The pilots of FedEx Express knew well enough NOT to trust their livelihoods to the whims of Fred S... they're doing alright.

When it comes to education, my experience taught me that education's best benefit is in making one realize that they cannot trust their livelihoods to the whims of corporate management, and should unionize to ensure they get treated and compensated fairly for the work they provide to their employer.

Before I worked for Express, I thought that unions were an anachronism of the late 19th-early 20th century. It took some "on the job education", for me to realize that unions play an important role in balancing the power of large corporations in their relations to their labor force.

Sadly, many Express employees don't have that "education" (even after years of working for Express) to realize that they need some way to protect themselves, so they take the crumbs Fred hands them - which get fewer and fewer as the years pass.

Goldilocks

Any worker (regardless of their education) who works for a large corporation and punches a clock or is paid by the hour.... should be unionized for their own protection.

The pilots of FedEx Express knew well enough NOT to trust their livelihoods to the whims of Fred S... they're doing alright.

When it comes to education, my experience taught me that education's best benefit is in making one realize that they cannot trust their livelihoods to the whims of corporate management, and should unionize to ensure they get treated and compensated fairly for the work they provide to their employer.

Before I worked for Express, I thought that unions were an anachronism of the late 19th-early 20th century. It took some "on the job education", for me to realize that unions play an important role in balancing the power of large corporations in their relations to their labor force.

Sadly, many Express employees don't have that "education" (even after years of working for Express) to realize that they need some way to protect themselves, so they take the crumbs Fred hands them - which get fewer and fewer as the years pass.

I do agree that people should protect themselves in every job. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this. You are simply going about it the WRONG WAY... Union at Fedex will never happen so why talk so much about it.

vantexan

I do agree that people should protect themselves in every job. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this. You are simply going about it the WRONG WAY... Union at Fedex will never happen so why talk so much about it.

More accurate to say it's highly unlikely couriers will ever unionize. The pilots did, and FedEx went to, and is going to, great lengths to make sure couriers don't. If the company is taking it seriously why are you telling us to not take it seriously? This is an open forum. Feel free to express your opinions but please don't try to suppress others'.

Goldilocks

More accurate to say it's highly unlikely couriers will ever unionize. The pilots did, and FedEx went to, and is going to, great lengths to make sure couriers don't. If the company is taking it seriously why are you telling us to not take it seriously? This is an open forum. Feel free to express your opinions but please don't try to suppress others'.

Argee, only presenting my opionion on an open forum.....

59 Dano

Always there to put a purple spin on it, aren't you? Between you and the girls Porridge Princess, I am about to throw-up. friend-A-K-E!!

WTH are you spewing venom about now? The law doesn't require FedEx to give full-timers 35 hours a week. Grow up.

vantexan

WTH are you spewing venom about now? The law doesn't require FedEx to give full-timers 35 hours a week. Grow up.

Was told by a lawyer that there's such a thing legally as "a reasonable expectation.". He used pensions as an example. He said that if when hired you are told you work X years you get a pension then you have a reasonable expectation that you will get that pension. May be why when the traditional pension was terminated we still got something in it's place. And may be why if company told us when hiring us that we are guaranteed 35 hrs as a FTer that they have an obligation to provide that. Whether that's so or not I don't know but I do know there are often legal ramifications involved that prevent companies from just doing whatever they like. And when they do overstep their bounds they get their wrist slapped in court. Or worse.

Ziparoo

Flintstone,if you love your company,its time you set it free and step down.But like every power hungry,ego driven autocratic dictator You just wont go away.
Your time has come,you are completely off your rocker so you need to do a self check and if you care about fedex,about your "baby",then its time you retire completely from work.maybe you could volunteer at the Memphis zoo where Im sure you will have lots of fun and maybe you could help them out by donating more money to upgrade the monkey cages.how bout writing your memoirs,without mentioning names from congress lol,and who knows maybe you'll end up on david letterman to talk about your best seller.
Dont you see?life is about more then fedex and you should start having fun in your golden years.
P.s.whichever poster here works for fedex p.r. Can you please make sure Flintstone gets this post in your report.
Thanks

59 Dano

Was told by a lawyer that there's such a thing legally as "a reasonable expectation.". He used pensions as an example. He said that if when hired you are told you work X years you get a pension then you have a reasonable expectation that you will get that pension. May be why when the traditional pension was terminated we still got something in it's place. And may be why if company told us when hiring us that we are guaranteed 35 hrs as a FTer that they have an obligation to provide that. Whether that's so or not I don't know but I do know there are often legal ramifications involved that prevent companies from just doing whatever they like. And when they do overstep their bounds they get their wrist slapped in court. Or worse.

Indeed there is the legal concept of reasonable expectation, though its application is limited. Workplace policies change all the time and there's not much anyone can do if the 35 hour guarantee is ever axed. Think about it this way... They could lay you off with no problem, but they'd get in trouble for cutting hours?

vantexan

Indeed there is the legal concept of reasonable expectation, though its application is limited. Workplace policies change all the time and there's not much anyone can do if the 35 hour guarantee is ever axed. Think about it this way... They could lay you off with no problem, but they'd get in trouble for cutting hours?

If it's ever to get axed it will probably be soon. But I think Ricochet1A's idea that couriers will be required to take long splits to get their guarantee, otherwise losing the guarantee if they refuse, has merit. FedEx can put the onus on couriers for refusing to stick around to get pups.

Ricochet1a

...But I think Ricochet1A's idea that couriers will be required to take long splits to get their guarantee, otherwise losing the guarantee if they refuse, has merit...

Actually, its not really "my" idea - it was passed to me by those I communicate with regarding the conversion. Source was a Sr. Manager.