I REALLY Need to Vent

MassWineGuy

Ok. So my new schedule is noon to six, except I have two boxes that aren’t ready until six. Anyway, I had a decent day until the last stop. I couldn’t find the address after going back and forth three times.

Back at the building the CSA asked if I’d called dispatch to check. I hadn’t, nor did I know that was standard procedure. Then she pulled up a photo of the customer’s mailbox with the number. A nice, clear sunny photo. When I was there it was getting dark and it was pouring. I truly did not see a dark number on a dark mailbox in dark, rainy conditions. The customer called and wasn’t happy.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ok. So my new schedule is noon to six, except I have two boxes that aren’t ready until six. Anyway, I had a decent day until the last stop. I couldn’t find the address after going back and forth three times.

Back at the building the CSA asked if I’d called dispatch to check. I hadn’t, nor did I know that was standard procedure. Then she pulled up a photo of the customer’s mailbox with the number. A nice, clear sunny photo. When I was there it was getting dark and it was pouring. I truly did not see a dark number on a dark mailbox in dark, rainy conditions. The customer called and wasn’t happy.
Are you talking pickups or deliveries?

MassWineGuy

Sorry. I should have pointed that out. Part time. Used to have a pickup route with some mis-sorts. Now it’s P2 deliveries with a few pickups.

El Morado Diablo

It happens.

I've been sent back out by management to deliver packages in situations like that. Usually stuff like house numbers on landscaping covered by plowed snow, houses with no numbers, etc that newer drivers couldn't find.

No one's perfect. As long as you felt like you gave it your best shot don't worry about it. Odds are even the couriers that have delivered to that address for years have had a tough time finding it too.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Had a customer who used their Route&Box address when we’d converted to 911 system years earlier. In order to file claims for lates. I was a swing who’d never delivered that route, and no one in the loop could give me more than ‘I think it’s around here somewhere’ on the map.
I made the mistake of commenting that I’d take it out, but that it would probably come back (it did). I checked every mailbox on that street- no name or address on or in them. That was on a Friday, was on vacation the following week.
When I came back I was immediately called to my manager’s office, who had a warning letter waiting.
In fairness to him, he was told by SM to do so. He allowed me to explain, then tore up the WL. Earned my respect.
That customer marked their gate right after that. friend them all if they can’t mark their address!

MassWineGuy

Thanks, everybody. I do feel that I made a good faith effort by going up and down the block a few times looking. While not a direct cause, having to wait til 6 to open those boxes makes me work later and longer than I was told I would under Respond. This house was my last stop. Although I strongly wanted to finish, I genuinely spent a few minutes looking for the address.

Star B

White Lightening
If you really want to throw them under the bus, tell them that you have to leave at 6pm because of other employment.

They will have to pull those boxes that open after 6 off of you.

As PT, you do NOT have to work more than 6 unless you want to.

Stat41

Dont worry about it. It happens to all of us. You did your best in much less than ideal circumstances.

MassWineGuy

If you really want to throw them under the bus, tell them that you have to leave at 6pm because of other employment.

They will have to pull those boxes that open after 6 off of you.

As PT, you do NOT have to work more than 6 unless you want to.

Tell me more. Is this written somewhere in policy?

MassWineGuy

Would it be in the big manual with other procedures and regulations? I'll definitely explore. Or ask the HR person. I don’t think they can lie, even if they want to.

falcon back

Google Maps can give a street view of the house. Very useful. Of course the life haters will say they won't use their phone to help do their job. If technology is available to make the job easier, why not use it.

fdxsux

Google Maps can give a street view of the house. Very useful. Of course the life haters will say they won't use their phone to help do their job. If technology is available to make the job easier, why not use it.
Just too much effort, that’s all. I don’t even bother hunting around anymore.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I do use that feature sometimes. But it doesn't always show the exact house at the address you want.
I have a rural route. Sometimes I have to use my phone to find the exact house because I can’t tell on the LEO map. If I zoom in close enough on my phone map it shows the actual driveway as well as an outline of the house. It’s saved me from many Dex 3’s because the house is out of sync with the addresses of surrounding houses.