I retired after 21yrs Ramp Agent/Courier

Fullcup

Mon, Sep 30 was my last day on the job after 21 years. I made the minimum age (60) for full retirements and I felt that since peak was just around the corner now is a good time to leave. Today, Oct 1st I started my job as a ramp agent with Southwest Airlines. FedEx has been good to me. Everything we own (home, cars, clothes, and food) I thank FedEx. Work rules have changed, traffic is nuts, and always the threat of bad weather, so I took the earliest opportunity (while my body is still in top shape) and submitted my retirement paperwork. It was time to leave. Southwest has a union and a “10” step wage progression in place that works. Even though the FedEx volume is down and we’re not doing any Amazon dels, we still have to make the same drive and your Manager will make sure you’re back earlier to get off the close clock sooner. Thanks to all you guys and gals who share your personal insights and experience. Best of luck

Serf

Good Luck. I had mentioned Southwest's 10 yr guaranteed top out pay program. And correct me if I'm wrong, everyone gets 30 hrs. Per week?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Mon, Sep 30 was my last day on the job after 21 years. I made the minimum age (60) for full retirements and I felt that since peak was just around the corner now is a good time to leave. Today, Oct 1st I started my job as a ramp agent with Southwest Airlines. FedEx has been good to me. Everything we own (home, cars, clothes, and food) I thank FedEx. Work rules have changed, traffic is nuts, and always the threat of bad weather, so I took the earliest opportunity (while my body is still in top shape) and submitted my retirement paperwork. It was time to leave. Southwest has a union and a “10” step wage progression in place that works. Even though the FedEx volume is down and we’re not doing any Amazon dels, we still have to make the same drive and your Manager will make sure you’re back earlier to get off the close clock sooner. Thanks to all you guys and gals who share your personal insights and experience. Best of luck
Good for you! Right before peak is always the best time to split. Good luck at Southwest.

Indecisi0n

Your welcome.

Fullcup

Thanks for the positive comments. The SW pay scale is on the net under the union page for all to find and see where you start. Not sure about the hours yet. I’m in a new hire class of 13 all FT, they didn’t hire PT. Three weeks OJT then 1 more week at the SW Dallas training center before we bid for our shifts. It’s a new SW station so all new hires have same seniority date, being the old guy I’m number one for bidding. Lol