I want to start being safer on preload!

So I’ve been on preload for a little over two years and I’ve worked in the same position for the vast majority of that time. During this time I have had to walk on this particular chute to occasionally break a jam and no manager or supervisor has ever complained about that it’s just kind of an unspoken agreement that I wouldn’t get in trouble for walking on the chute to go break the jam. But i’m starting to see the logic behind the safety rule of not walking on chutes LOL. So what would happen if I decided I was no longer going to walk on the chute. For safety reasons. Would management/supervisor come up to me and say does that mean that you are admitting that you have been walking on Chutes? Even though they’ve always known that I have been doing so, they have just always turned a blind eye to it.

Thanks!!

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
So I’ve been on preload for a little over two years and I’ve worked in the same position for the vast majority of that time. During this time I have had to walk on this particular chute to occasionally break a jam and no manager or supervisor has ever complained about that it’s just kind of an unspoken agreement that I wouldn’t get in trouble for walking on the chute to go break the jam. But i’m starting to see the logic behind the safety rule of not walking on chutes LOL. So what would happen if I decided I was no longer going to walk on the chute. For safety reasons. Would management/supervisor come up to me and say does that mean that you are admitting that you have been walking on Chutes? Even though they’ve always known that I have been doing so, they have just always turned a blind eye to it.

Thanks!!
Stop walking on the chute, let boxes jam/backup... sup will either jump up & break jam themselves or get you a longer Shepard’s hook to reach jam .. it’s as easy as that .

D

Deleted member 83221

A week ago I tripped and my glasses flew off and a box crushed them! Preload is no joke! Stay safe! Stay Alert!

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated

Thanks!!

Never, ever walk on the chute. Ever. If you get hurt doing it, you are screwed. Let the packages jam up. This is not your problem to fix. You are enabling bad behavior of the management team. Preload is hard enough. Stay safe!

Mdet

Thanks!!
Hey I have been on pre load for 11 years. What we do in our building we let things happen and sups come and fix it. The new sups don’t know what they are doing so I just load my area and leave or I ask for help if I need it.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Tell your union steward, say u are working safe but I want to be moved.
You should have a “request area move” sheet in your building (usually by entrance).. you write current work location & where you’d like to move and sign.. then they will go by seniority when position opens up in desired work location

Integrity

Binge Poster

Thanks!!
I really appreciate your desire become a safer worker on the Preload.

Do you know the correct methods for safely breaking jams at chute and or slides?