If this health care bill passes...

konsole

Do you think this would affect the health care benefits that we get as part of the teamsters? I have no idea what the details are of this thing but considering that many people at UPS are only there for the health benefits wouldn't this new bill give those people strong reason to leave?

If this new health care bill makes working at a place that doesnt provide private health care benefits, that much more attractive, I wonder what UPS will do to entice its current employees to stay, pay increase perhaps?

evilleace

If they take they bennies away I know a lot of pt employees who would leave they would also have to make a huge pay increase

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If they take they bennies away I know a lot of pt employees who would leave they would also have to make a huge pay increase

Sorry ... that huge pay increase would go to the government.

And, read between the lines of the contract, UPS does not appear to want part-timers that stay around long enough to use the health care benefits.

evilleace

I know if this bill passes then taxes will go threw the roof and not just for people who make over $250,000 a yr.

klein

Für Meno :)
I would forecast jobcreation, actually.
Thinking prople in their late 50's and early 60's are wealthy enough to atleast semi-retire, but hang on to thier jobs for the bennies.
They could work less hrs to get by, doing less work, and enjoy life somewhat more.
Maybe even full retire, if they have enough savings.

Here are some stats from Canada, couldn't find any on google for America to compare with (sorry).

As for actual retirement plans, the survey found that 19% of Canadians plan to retire between the ages of 55 to 59, 20% plan to retire between the ages of 60 and 64, 30% say they will retire at age 65 or older, and 26% do not know when they will retire.
All I could find, is that the USA has increased minmum retirement age to 67, and also medicare.
Oh well, semi-retirement it is then.
But, it's a good option, instead of working your b.tt off until 67 ! If you no longer need to, just to receive healthcare.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would forecast jobcreation, actually.
Thinking prople in their late 50's and early 60's are wealthy enough to atleast semi-retire, but hang on to thier jobs for the bennies.
They could work less hrs to get by, doing less work, and enjoy life somewhat more.
Maybe even full retire, if they have enough savings.

Here are some stats from Canada, couldn't find any on google for America to compare with (sorry).

As for actual retirement plans, the survey found that 19% of Canadians plan to retire between the ages of 55 to 59, 20% plan to retire between the ages of 60 and 64, 30% say they will retire at age 65 or older, and 26% do not know when they will retire.
All I could find, is that the USA has increased minmum retirement age to 67, and also medicare.
Oh well, semi-retirement it is then.
But, it's a good option, instead of working your b.tt off until 67 ! If you no longer need to, just to receive healthcare.

One can retire without relying on the Federal government and like you said, most people under 67 tend to only be semi-retired.

filthpig

To me, the biggest concern we would have as UPS'ers would be the guaranteed taxation of our healthcare benefits. If this happens, you will see a substantial number of people suddenly living below the poverty line.
Oh, I almost forgot, Obama is an idiot.

klein

To me, the biggest concern we would have as UPS'ers would be the guaranteed taxation of our healthcare benefits. If this happens, you will see a substantial number of people suddenly living below the poverty line.
Oh, I almost forgot, Obama is an idiot.

Taxes will be heading up, no matter what, to pay off the Stimulus spending. Thats worldwide.

The other day on the European Journal, a french person said it best :
1929, 1992, 2009 (recession years) they all have one thing in commen:

The numbers "2" and "9"

As for hoax:
Yes, these days you can't count on goverment money anymore, not even pension.
Thats part of democracy.
Always vote for the one that promises more money for the individual.
No one will get voted in, if all they do is promise cutbacks, to get the country back in shape again.
It's spend, spend, spend, and let the next generation worry about it.
Uninfortuntly , it's our generation that is getting hit first, but not worst.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
From what I read union contracted medical benefits would not be affected. It amazes me that no one ever talks about a dramatic slash in this countries absurd military budget to free up money that is needed elsewhere . . . . instead just f_ _ k the working class. I think you're gonna see Obama backpeddle on most of his campaign promises. Next election, throw away the ballot, and vote with a bullet.:angry: America lost its way years ago. At retirement time I certainly would not rule out emigrating to a non capitalist country elsewhere

klein

From what I read union contracted medical benefits would not be affected. It amazes me that no one ever talks about a dramatic slash in this countries absurd military budget to free up money that is needed elsewhere . . . . instead just f_ _ k the working class. I think you're gonna see Obama backpeddle on most of his campaign promises. Next election, throw away the ballot, and vote with a bullet.:angry: America lost its way years ago. At retirement time I certainly would not rule out emigrating to a non capitalist country elsewhere

Actually, I wanted to mention just that. You guys have it easy, just slash military spending, and it's paid for !
No need to invade countries, too expenisive and time consuming.
Just keep up the production on smart bombs.
Some country needs to smarten up.. send them a few smart bombs.
Let them think it over and smarten up .
If they don't send a few more "smarten up" bombs.

And most important, don't start a war at all, unless UN or Nato approved (with back-up and cost sharing) !

There's your savings ! For use at home !

JaxUPSHub

Actually, I wanted to mention just that. You guys have it easy, just slash military spending, and it's paid for !

My 5 cents:

For people not living in the United States its easy to say: "...slash military spending.." YOU DO NOT LIVE HERE. My wife is from Germany and used to think just like you did, just like every other Canadian or European. Fact is, that the United States (and its interests) are targeted by ALL SORTS OF TERRORISTS, more than any other country. England, Spain, and Russia would be next in line for number of terrorist attacks. (My wife has since changed her POV)

Now, people in Canada, Germany, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein, NEVER see terrorists attacks. That is for several reasons, however, is a whole new topic.

Now, we are involved in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably every other ****hole in this world. All this has its roots from the outcome of WW2.

IT IS WHAT IT IS, we can not change our past, we can just try to change our future by our actions today. And today, we (the United States) is targeted by Terrorists. The government is responsible to protect us, and IMO doing a decent (not good) at it.

The real issue is all the spending (not military), economic stimulus given to banks, Bonuses Paid with our Tax Money, etc etc. As it is the military has seen cuts in spending over the last 20 years.

The foreign policy of the United States will not change anytime soon.

If I were to cut spending, I would think deeply about NASA, and all that out of space stuff. We can't manage to live in Earth, why the hell do we need to find answers in Space. (Just sayin, tone the spending down)

klein

Sadly this is true which is why the cash for clunkers thing never should have gotten passed and why it definetly should not get anymore money.

I agree with you. After watching "Your Money" this Sunday on CNN. I heard some are cashing in thier useless old cars, that are worth like $500 max. Buying a new one with the $4500 , then reselling it used for profit ! And get the gas guzzeling truck or car, that they wanted in the first place.
I think only England and the USA have that in place. Costing way too much money.
And what is the longer term effect ? Those that could afford a new car, bought one now, so next year, no sales in the car industry again !

As for the WW2 outcome:
Only 2 countries lost that war (Germany and Japan). Everyone else won.
We don't look for trouble, so we don't get in trouble. Don't stick our noses into things that aren't as toubleling as they may appear.
My personal opionen regarding the middleeast, they are just 100 yrs behind.
They live in a sort of monachy, like old Europe once had . Wars really never ended there.
Let them kill themselves, eventually the people will find peace and democracy is the only way to go. But, to force it upon them. Thats a hard and costly thing to do.
Nato and the UN, are always on earth to overlook them, incase they go to far.

But, this is about healthcare... I truley believe money is there with spending cuts (Nasa) also one of them, and they are just doing that (shuttle is being cut).
But, you need to remember, a lot of good inventions came from Nasa (like these pc's we're typing on, and many other things). HAACP, was created by Nasa. (food processing laws).