If You Can Make it There....

vantexan

i only usually only ever look at wages and cost of buying on this website which in this case is not good, but whats interesting is why renting is so cheap in zurich.
Overall Ricky according to Numbeo the cost of living in Switzerland is 45% higher than in the U.S. Rent is 11% higher. Canada cost of living is 8% less than the U.S. while rents in Canada average 20% less than the U.S.

If you are smart you'll find a job with a pension and stick to it. Then you can take your Canadian passport and go live in a more affordable country. Or at least come to the U.S. and earn a Social Security check. Life is short Ricky and most women want a guy who'll give them some security. And they see through the BS pretty quickly. You can end up broke and alone or you can give yourself some measure of freedom. Up to you.

rickyb

Overall Ricky according to Numbeo the cost of living in Switzerland is 45% higher than in the U.S. Rent is 11% higher. Canada cost of living is 8% less than the U.S. while rents in Canada average 20% less than the U.S.

If you are smart you'll find a job with a pension and stick to it. Then you can take your Canadian passport and go live in a more affordable country. Or at least come to the U.S. and earn a Social Security check. Life is short Ricky and most women want a guy who'll give them some security. And they see through the BS pretty quickly. You can end up broke and alone or you can give yourself some measure of freedom. Up to you.
i just compare based on cities, i dont compare countries incomes and housing. i compare countries on other things like paid vacation, tuition, how many political parties and voting system, public transit, union rate, etc.

i got a govt pension but im bored and dont want to stay in canada this country is repulsive

rickyb

when im looking for a woman usually the career and looks have to be good but rarely ill ignore the career if the looks are a 9.5 and my logic goes out the window

vantexan

i just compare based on cities, i dont compare countries incomes and housing. i compare countries on other things like paid vacation, tuition, how many political parties and voting system, public transit, union rate, etc.

i got a govt pension but im bored and dont want to stay in canada this country is repulsive
You're going to find that there's no perfect place. What you thought for sure would be better turns out very differently. You know why? Never underestimate the ability of humans to muck up a good thing. For your own sake you better bear down on getting set up for the future. It goes a lot faster than you realize.

vantexan

when im looking for a woman usually the career and looks have to be good but rarely ill ignore the career if the looks are a 9.5 and my logic goes out the window
You'd be better off finding a woman who loves you and is willing to put up with you. Those 9.5's usually know they are and often will drop you for someone they perceive will give them a better deal. And if all you're offering is a life of protests you better find an angry woman who wants to be out there screaming with you.

rickyb

You're going to find that there's no perfect place. What you thought for sure would be better turns out very differently. You know why? Never underestimate the ability of humans to muck up a good thing. For your own sake you better bear down on getting set up for the future. It goes a lot faster than you realize.
but theres better places . you found some better places. yes i do expect things to end badly, maybe in the 3rd world more than here but here too.

rickyb

You'd be better off finding a woman who loves you and is willing to put up with you. Those 9.5's usually know they are and often will drop you for someone they perceive will give them a better deal. And if all you're offering is a life of protests you better find an angry woman who wants to be out there screaming with you.
i found an angry 7.5 / 8 (she wasnt angry but she was political) but i dumped her hahaha

vantexan

but theres better places . you found some better places. yes i do expect things to end badly, maybe in the 3rd world more than here but here too.
There's the illusion of better places. Without the income needed even the nicest places can be a grind. Believe me there will come a day when you no longer want to hump all the time to just get by. Develop an independent income and then go live out your life.

Meat

...you can make it anywhere. Ever hear of Paraguay? Not touting it as some amazing place but quite a few Americans and others are moving there. It's a very freedom oriented culture but not an anything goes culture. It has its issues like every place but if you look at this video you can see that if you have limited income you can go to even 3rd world countries and have a decent life. Paraguay has invested in internet infrastructure. Possible to get high speed fiber optic internet there. What that means is you can go to a place like this and stay connected to friends and family. Can have tv and Netflix in English. You can have a normal life there, and a safe life, for a lot less. And across the river in Argentina I've discovered a nice city of about 400,000 called Posadas. Has very good shopping, movie multiplex theaters including an IMAX theater. So what's the catch? Very hot weather. Long summers with mid-90's to low 100's with humidity every day. But they have cheap hydropower so can run your air conditioner 24/7. Winters are Florida mild.

There are a lot of options worldwide thankfully. And if your retirement income only goes so far in the States you can more than double your spending power elsewhere. You can proudly stay poor in the States, being loyal to the powers that be who weren't loyal to you, or you can choose to love the U.S. from afar. Your life, your choice.

Looks like their second biggest city had to declare a state of emergency due to a crime wave recently.

Sounds just like heaven - “show me, show me, show me how you do that trick…”

vantexan

Looks like their second biggest city had to declare a state of emergency due to a crime wave recently.

Sounds just like heaven - “show me, show me, show me how you do that trick…”
If you're talking about Ciudad del Este it's right on the Brazil border and known for crime. That's like saying all of Missouri is crime ridden because crime in St. Louis is really bad. Except most of Missouri is pretty laid back and safe. Or maybe better stay out of Michigan because Detroit is dangerous.

Commercial Inside Release

Chikungunya virus epidemic
Dengue fever epidemic.
Zika, Malaria, yellow fever...
Wishing to dabble in encephalitis?

Why don't you just shack-up with a senorita in Santa Fe, near quality hospitals. With all the handouts she gets, the $800-1000 apartment will be next to nothing. Running a 220v A\C unit in a shared apartment is only $10-20/mo extra.

Maybe @rickyb will move in with you.

Meat

If you're talking about Ciudad del Este it's right on the Brazil border and known for crime. That's like saying all of Missouri is crime ridden because crime in St. Louis is really bad. Except most of Missouri is pretty laid back and safe. Or maybe better stay out of Michigan because Detroit is dangerous.

I don’t know, Van.

I’ve known a fair amount of friends and family members that have tried the expat thing.

It sounds like an interesting life experience, but it NEVER works long term.

Your own postings on the subject substantiate my claim - it NEVER works out long term.

vantexan

I don’t know, Van.

I’ve known a fair amount of friends and family members that have tried the expat thing.

It sounds like an interesting life experience, but it NEVER works long term.

Your own postings on the subject substantiate my claim - it NEVER works out long term.
Oh? I left Oaxaca Mexico to help my dad out. I had a large, furnished room with private bath and private entrance, excellent wifi, for a little less than $150 a month. Easy walking distance to everything I needed.

There are millions of Americans living overseas. Some do come back. Some live in other countries for decades and wouldn't dream of living in the States again. You're making incorrect assumptions. I've been on expat forums for more than 25 years and I know for a fact it works out very well long term for a lot of people.

This is more about your need to tear down anything liked by someone you disagree with politically.

vantexan

Chikungunya virus epidemic
Dengue fever epidemic.
Zika, Malaria, yellow fever...
Wishing to dabble in encephalitis?

Why don't you just shack-up with a senorita in Santa Fe, near quality hospitals. With all the handouts she gets, the $800-1000 apartment will be next to nothing. Running a 220v A\C unit in a shared apartment is only $10-20/mo extra.

Maybe @rickyb will move in with you.
Are you under the impression that everyone in Latin America is laying around in a fever, suffering from a virus?

By the way much of Latin America has English speaking doctors who got their degrees in the U.S. or Europe. Medical tourism has become very popular. Quality medical treatment for a lot less in numerous countries.

Getting by comfortably on $1000 a month sounds a whole lot better than needing $2500 a month just to get by in the States.

And since you have very sincere views about racial makeup it might surprise you to know that Argentina is 85% Caucasian. Far southern Brazil is very white too. As is Uruguay. Close to 50% white in Chile.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Are you under the impression that everyone in Latin America is laying around in a fever, suffering from a virus?

By the way much of Latin America has English speaking doctors who got their degrees in the U.S. or Europe. Medical tourism has become very popular. Quality medical treatment for a lot less in numerous countries.

Getting by comfortably on $1000 a month sounds a whole lot better than needing $2500 a month just to get by in the States.

And since you have very sincere views about racial makeup it might surprise you to know that Argentina is 85% Caucasian. Far southern Brazil is very white too. As is Uruguay. Close to 50% white in Chile.
2500 hundred isn’t enough

Meat

Oh? I left Oaxaca Mexico to help my dad out. I had a large, furnished room with private bath and private entrance, excellent wifi, for a little less than $150 a month. Easy walking distance to everything I needed.

There are millions of Americans living overseas. Some do come back. Some live in other countries for decades and wouldn't dream of living in the States again. You're making incorrect assumptions. I've been on expat forums for more than 25 years and I know for a fact it works out very well long term for a lot of people.

This is more about your need to tear down anything liked by someone you disagree with politically.

Wasn’t there some sort of a local bacterial issue you also had in Mexico?

I’ve heard other first hand accounts - yikes.

You would have just gone back if you were attending to a short term family issue - NOT viable long term.