In-Vehicle Camera Question

MassWineGuy

Well, if I got a notification I’d unblock the camera.

I’ve never heard any manager even mention a score. Would my manager have access to it? I’m curious.

McFeely

Huge Member
Well, if I got a notification I’d unblock the camera.

Personally, I kinda find it to be bullshiite to ding people for using their visors. Sure, some are purposefully blocking the camera with them but visors are a safety item that's designed to be used for safe driving. Nobody should have a company telling them to not use their visor on a sunny day.

I would think your manager would have access to your profile. If not your direct manager, maybe the Safety person for your station.

HedleyLamarr

We were sent a message on the Leo a few weeks ago warning of possible termination if we messed with the cameras. I was told there was a swing who was actually putting tape over the cameras and that is why the message was sent.

Aquaman

Just making the point they don't sit there and watch you. IF they truly can, they must 'watch' the people that, shall we say, aren't doing so well

You are correct. But, he also stated he's looking for a reason to leave.

Why do need a reason? Why not just leave? Sounds like you don't want to be here anyway
Schedule is ideal at the moment. Literally nothing else is keeping me here lol.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We were sent a message on the Leo a few weeks ago warning of possible termination if we messed with the cameras. I was told there was a swing who was actually putting tape over the cameras and that is why the message was sent.
Tape, FO labels, SDR labels, ASTRA labels, hanging caps over them, etc. Absolutely amazing what some people will risk over something so trivial.

Aquaman

"No way in hell that I could get a job with pay and benefits this good if I left. But this job is the worst!"
I’m an RTD. it’s next to impossible to find another tractor trailer job that doesn’t beat this pay lol. We’re one of if not the lowest, slowest paying class A CDL gigs in the country. Benefits are middle of the road. Vacation is decent if you never leave. But not that great. Can rarely take it when you want. I stay because my hours are currently great for my family. I work 8 hours and go home. It’s impossible to find a tractor trailer job that allows that. 99.999999% of trucking companies want all 11 hours of driving out of you, and a lot of the time all available 14 hours. They hired you to drive and they want you to drive. Express is a 40 hour a week job. And if you’re lucky enough to have a day route you’ve hit the trucking lotto lol. The company just doesn’t seem to realize that if they paid us well… let’s say VERY well… this would be the most sought after trucking job in the country. Every UPS feeder would jump ship. The line of handlers & couriers waiting for RTD positions would be a mile long. But nope. Currently 5 open full time RTD’s at my station constantly rebid with waivers lol.

!Retired!

He said the schedule was ideal. No mention whatsoever about pay and benefits. As a matter of fact, he excluded them.
Depending on your situation, schedule trumps pay all day. For me, when my kids were younger, that was true. Now that they're in college pay trumps schedule. But, all that is irrelevant now 🤷‍♂️

Star B

White Lightening
Tape, FO labels, SDR labels, ASTRA labels, hanging caps over them, etc. Absolutely amazing what some people will risk over something so trivial.
But we have the best people in the industry! That we can't trust!

How about this, let's put software on the station cameras that make noise and send a report up to the senior/DM looks at their personal cell phone or when an engineer is playing solitaire while not on break. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander, right?

here's how I see the camera obstruction "discipline" going. It's strong during flavor of the month for everyone. If you are in a station that's fully staffed and with a line out of the door of applicants, I can see them being strict about it.

If you are like most stations struggling to get and retain employees because of the poor pay, it's only an issue when Memphis notices.

We got that warning too with a couple CRRs getting letters as a "we're serious about it" threat and now a few months later -- nothing.

Last edited:

It will be fine

But we have the best people in the industry! That we can't trust!

How about this, let's put software on the station cameras that make noise and send a report up to the senior/DM looks at their personal cell phone or when an engineer is playing solitaire while not on break. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander, right?

here's how I see the camera obstruction "discipline" going. It's strong during flavor of the month for everyone. If you are in a station that's fully staffed and with a line out of the door of applicants, I can see them being strict about it.

If you are like most stations struggling to get and retain employees because of the poor pay, it's only an issue when Memphis notices.

We got that warning too with a couple CRRs getting letters as a "we're serious about it" threat and now a few months later -- nothing.
I fire people after a 2nd offense. It’s not an issue I have to worry about. I’ve had the cameras for years now so most everyone has always had them in the truck. Most people these days understand they are on camera all the time, it’s not a big deal. Some people just need to find something to complain about.

59 Dano

I’m an RTD. it’s next to impossible to find another tractor trailer job that doesn’t beat this pay lol. We’re one of if not the lowest, slowest paying class A CDL gigs in the country. Benefits are middle of the road. Vacation is decent if you never leave. But not that great. Can rarely take it when you want. I stay because my hours are currently great for my family. I work 8 hours and go home. It’s impossible to find a tractor trailer job that allows that. 99.999999% of trucking companies want all 11 hours of driving out of you, and a lot of the time all available 14 hours. They hired you to drive and they want you to drive. Express is a 40 hour a week job. And if you’re lucky enough to have a day route you’ve hit the trucking lotto lol. The company just doesn’t seem to realize that if they paid us well… let’s say VERY well… this would be the most sought after trucking job in the country. Every UPS feeder would jump ship. The line of handlers & couriers waiting for RTD positions would be a mile long. But nope. Currently 5 open full time RTD’s at my station constantly rebid with waivers lol.

He said the schedule was ideal. No mention whatsoever about pay and benefits. As a matter of fact, he excluded them.

He likes to twist words and lies like a frontline manager. This year is gonna be very telling of the future of this company!
Dudes, actions speak louder than words. When you hate practically everything about the job but won't leave... it's the best you can do. No one stays in the coal mine, when there are better opportunities, because of the schedule.

59 Dano

I like how people think we should do things for the sake of doing them.

SmithBarney

I agree totally. I might tell them the sun was in my eyes and put the visor down. And forgot about it after dark.
I've always driven with visors down, clear bright skies make it very hard for me.. also wear sunglasses because of eyes. Don't know if the camera is blocked or not, haven't heard.
Not sure who wired ours, but a bunch have blown fuses and haven't been repaired :dont_know: