In-Vehicle Camera Question

Star B

White Lightening
Mgr was reading off of an email they got... don't know much more than that. They'll be spot checking bulk head door use, packages in cab apparently the AI software can also spot these things.?
If you make a fist and put it next to a reflective stripe on your clothing, the cameras have been known to throw a smoking violation alert. So...... you think it'll be able to actually determine packages in the cab?

The bulkhead would be easier (silver vs black/white) during the daytime. At night it's more difficult.

Right now Management is doing it's typical "OH :censored2: THIS ISN'T TURNING OUT LIKE WE THOUGHT LETS MAKE IT SEEM LIKE IT WASNT A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY" trying to save face by scrutinizing the CRRs even harder. ....and they wonder why they have issues keeping people employed here?

Thesearecrazytimes

They are 100% doing this.

My manager offered to let me look at what they are seeing. I'm not sure if it's worth being worried about for most people. My manager is predicting most managers will be too busy to pay much attention to it and follow up with employees so they will just mark it off that they have verified it and leave it at that. Which means it will probably be a case-by-case thing with individual managers.
I think it will be a case by case thing with individual couriers. That is to say that they can target the couriers they want to harass and get rid of and this is just one more tool in their belts to do so.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think it will be a case by case thing with individual couriers. That is to say that they can target the couriers they want to harass and get rid of and this is just one more tool in their belts to do so.
Yep, just like how they painted a big target on the backs of topped out senior couriers and brought in gap reports, GPS, telematics, and all that stuff to get rid of them en masse!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yep, just like how they painted a big target on the backs of topped out senior couriers and brought in gap reports, GPS, telematics, and all that stuff to get rid of them en masse!
No they brought in all that stuff because of Fred’s paranoia of couriers. He has this long standing idea in his head that all couriers are out to screw him over.

MassWineGuy

I agree. I understand that there have been cases of employees stealing freight. But it must be very few compared to the rest. I’ve often felt like various managers were looking to catch me doing something wrong or making a mistake. Senior managers, especially.

Yesterday I discovered on road that something had been mis-sorted to my route. I notified the dispatcher, who replied “Yeah?” When I scanned it as such, dispatch reported it to the SM as an unattempted. It was, but for good reason.

I don’t know if FedEx holds the patent on running a paranoid operation. It must be similar elsewhere.

fatboy33

When the camera unit displays green lights, that means it’s monitoring for collisions? When a manager wants to observe you, does it remain green? When the lights are red is it uploading? Monitoring you? Is there a way to know when you’re being observed in real time?
Our manager said if you want a private conversation, leave the truck and close all the door. So yeah, its probably on with the capability of storing data....green light or not.

ExizFed

I received an OLCC because the camera was apparently blurry. I noted in the OLCC that there is no way for me to tell what the camera sees so no way for me to know it's blurry.
Drivers at my station are constantly cover cameras with tape or door tags of course we get threated with OLCC but nothing happens.

MassWineGuy

Unless you’re doing something that you don’t want them to see, I advise you to leave the cameras alone. Managers, tactics, directives from Memphis can change every day. And you won’t know that until they catch you. But if you get an OLCC, you can then start being careful.

Cameras are terrible. But we have no presumption of privacy at work.

It will be fine

Unless you’re doing something that you don’t want them to see, I advise you to leave the cameras alone. Managers, tactics, directives from Memphis can change every day. And you won’t know that until they catch you. But if you get an OLCC, you can then start being careful.

Cameras are terrible. But we have no presumption of privacy at work.
Can you imagine if you worked at Target and went around covering up security cameras? These clowns blocking the cameras are exactly that stupid.

MassWineGuy

The only thing I can think of that would be less observable could be when you start work and are getting a vehicle. Without starting the engine, cut the camera wires with wirecutters and go get another set of keys for the vehicle you’re really going to take.

Of course, stations have cameras everywhere and you could, in theory, be seen. But it’s probably a very low probability unless many camera wires get cut. Then they’ll be targeting that station.

If you’re paranoid, be sure to ditch the wirecutter under your carseat. FedEx can search you, but not your car.

Of course, I’m just offering a hypothetical. I would NEVER do anything like this.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
Can you imagine if you worked at Target and went around covering up security cameras? These clowns blocking the cameras are exactly that stupid.
I'll repeat what I've said. I don't have an issue with the front facing camera to the road. What I have an issue with the automated reporting when the camera "guesses" what you are doing wrong and gets it wrong. Those cameras at Target aren't tracking via automation who you are, where you are moving in the store, tracking how fast you are walking, how many times you stop per hour, how many cases of product you are stocking p/h, etc. We don't have a union to back us up when the camera gets it wrong and management decides to delay, stall and/or lie about reasons for termination/write up/OLCC etc. Want to see that in action? See the bad-faith union negotiation FXF did in the other thread.

We might be vocal here, but we are the minority. There are tons of CRRs that will accept whatever FXE shoves down their throat. Managements track record of being honest isn't that good and that's why everyone is skeptical and paranoid.

morgan

Tape, FO labels, SDR labels, ASTRA labels, hanging caps over them, etc. Absolutely amazing what some people will risk over something so trivial.
What exactly are they risking? A crap job for a crap company? FedEx hasn't been a career for a long time. Pretty since the start of ground. Almost all of management is trained to hate the employees and treat them as if they are stealing money, in the form of minutes on the clock, at all times. You're not risking much at all unless you're at the 20 year mark waiting on retirement. 10 years or less people should be running out the door.

It will be fine

What exactly are they risking? A crap job for a crap company? FedEx hasn't been a career for a long time. Pretty since the start of ground. Almost all of management is trained to hate the employees and treat them as if they are stealing money, in the form of minutes on the clock, at all times. You're not risking much at all unless you're at the 20 year mark waiting on retirement. 10 years or less people should be running out the door.
People work because they have to. Risking your employment because driving professionally is too hard is a stupid decision regardless of what you think about the job. You can’t cry about being monitored while proving you need to be at the same time.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
People work because they have to. Risking your employment because driving professionally is too hard is a stupid decision regardless of what you think about the job. You can’t cry about being monitored while proving you need to be at the same time.
Ever heard that what's good for the goose is good for the gander?

FDX Lifer

What a big waste of money that could have been better spent on rewarding safe drivers. Nauto using FDX as a test to see how their crappy high priced AI junk works.
Most mounted and calibrated wrong. Managers watching video events have too much time on their hands. Forward facing I have no problem..I sure lawsuits being filed