Increased Volume?

bacha29

It's on the floor and it gets pushed out the door. It's a one way trip. I'll do my best to keep your garage door unblocked but if it's so huge that it's going to block it, thatsucks.png
You would think that as a common courtesy the shipper would at least tape a needle and thread to that piece of motor freight they stole off the LTL's so you can sew your nuts back on after you tear them off trying to move that stuff. Ground contractors will in the end have to keep a couple of B Class straight trucks with hydraulic tail gates around and two guys in every one of them. If X doesn't require it their workman's comp underwriter might. The situation is getting completely out of control.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
When I was a courier and had some 100+ lb item that the customer expected me to lug upstairs - or anywhere for that matter - I simply explained to them “my responsibilty ends at safely delivering this to the correct street address - it’s up to you to arrange to get it wherever it needs to go from this point - have a spectacular day!”. And I was off. Never once received any negative feedback.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's on the floor and it gets pushed out the door. It's a one way trip. I'll do my best to keep your garage door unblocked but if it's so huge that it's going to block it, thatsucks.png
I’m with you. It’s a one way trip. I may struggle, but I sure as hell ain’t bring it back. I have a woman who lives in a big house with about 10 steps up to her front door and she gets those friggin rounded, over 100 lb boxes from India. I’ve told her there is no way I can carry them up her stairs and I’ll leave them at the bottom. Fortunately, I only have six apartments on my route in the same building. No heavy lifting for me beyond pushing them off my truck.

Express Courier

I had a customer a few months ago that ordered a SAFE and it came through us at Express. Not sure how much it weighed but it was impossible for me to deliver it to their upstairs apartment. It was one of those weird apartments too that you have to walk downstairs from street level and then upstairs to their apartment. I went to the office to ISR it there and the cute lil gal in the office was like mmmnnn nahhh lol. Brought it back to the station and never saw it again.

dvalleyjim

The reason for the increase in freight is the economy is booming. Atlanta Fed is calling for 4.8% economic growth this quarter. That's huge especially compared to the 1% growth of the Obama presidency. FX and ISP's are not prepared for what will be peak volume of 2017 as the norm. Well at least until the Dems take back the house in 2018.

bbsam

Staff member
The reason for the increase in freight is the economy is booming. Atlanta Fed is calling for 4.8% economic growth this quarter. That's huge especially compared to the 1% growth of the Obama presidency. FX and ISP's are not prepared for what will be peak volume of 2017 as the norm. Well at least until the Dems take back the house in 2018.
So in June of ‘97 it was the booming economy under Bill Clinton that caused volume to spike for RPS? C’mon man.

bacha29

When I was a courier and had some 100+ lb item that the customer expected me to lug upstairs - or anywhere for that matter - I simply explained to them “my responsibilty ends at safely delivering this to the correct street address - it’s up to you to arrange to get it wherever it needs to go from this point - have a spectacular day!”. And I was off. Never once received any negative feedback.
Good point 66. Somewhere there is a boundary line that separates delivery from setup and installation There clearly needs to be description and guidelines drawn up that establishes that boundary.

bacha29

A !% growth in e GDP during the Obama years isn't bad compared to the recession he inherited. I've heard and read the comments of several economists who said that if the Obama administration in partnership with the Federal Reserve had not taken their extraordinary and risky steps the banks would have been nationalized and the unemployment rate would have been 25%. Not defending the Obama legacy but the facts are what they are. If the Atlanta Fed is correct in their forecast combined with the increase in government borrowing additional interest rate increases are a sure bet and that will slow down the economy in a hurry.

Oldfart

A !% growth in e GDP during the Obama years isn't bad compared to the recession he inherited. I've heard and read the comments of several economists who said that if the Obama administration in partnership with the Federal Reserve had not taken their extraordinary and risky steps the banks would have been nationalized and the unemployment rate would have been 25%. Not defending the Obama legacy but the facts are what they are. If the Atlanta Fed is correct in their forecast combined with the increase in government borrowing additional interest rate increases are a sure bet and that will slow down the economy in a hurry.
LOL

dvalleyjim

So in June of ‘97 it was the booming economy under Bill Clinton that caused volume to spike for RPS? C’mon man.
Anyone, regardless of President, that doesn't think a booming economy increases package volume is, I don't know what to say. Walmart's online business increased 30%. That means that your Walmart packages have increased 30%. It's a no brainer.

SmithBarney

Maybe now that that thornton is over at freight he can get x to charge more like ups just did. Get more volume to that side. 120 lb king size headboards to 3rd floor apartments is ridiculous. I am going to bring my bathroom scale to work and start weighing this stuff.
It is amazing how many "crates" we get at express that are exactly 150lbs... Even though wooden crated packages are supposed to be rejected(or at least they use to be rejected) but still amazing how many packages weigh exactly 150lbs...

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It is amazing how many "crates" we get at express that are exactly 150lbs... Even though wooden crated packages are supposed to be rejected(or at least they use to be rejected) but still amazing how many packages weigh exactly 150lbs...
You’re making that stuff up. We only deal with envelopes.

........remember??? (wink wink nudge nudge)