Indy Contract

helloitsme

Hello, you are correct that "O" is but a memory. BobsB explained the OT...I knew I was making a simple thing hard with that one....but just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Not being at the meeting (being a spouse and all) I get my info second hand, from hubby and others that I know....everyone seems to hear things differently.

I did hear a little while ago (not from hubby) that Columbus got enough signatures....I signed on here hoping to see that was true....

I understand that freight and parcel have many varied differences. So that you and others that read and post here don't think I am totally stupid I have a cognitave disorder that sometimes doesn't allow me to express exactly what I am thinking....or want to say.....very frusterating to one who has always been quicker than lighting and probably more frusterating to those I deal with....so please bear with me if I take an extra minute to "get it". Unfortunately it is usually the simple things like the OT issue that takes time and the more complex issues I understand quite well.

Back to the freight and parcel....I didn't mean to hold out for everything they have...I was refering to the OT....OT after 8....which is the way the contract reads, I just wasn't understanding it. This is a big gain for city drivers and dock workers. I can't speak for OTR as I don't know anything about how they get paid.

I am also very interested in the insurance....the savings is fantastic....IF the plan is as good. I think we have exceptional insurance now and would hate to lose the great coverage or have high co pays. All I've seen so far is the papers from last week's meeting which says that the insureance for employee plus spouse will go from aprox $100.00 per week to $100.00 per month which is a saving of about $4,400.00 per year. That's a big savings if it isn't eaten up by co pays and deductibles.

And ofcourse I had the question about the insurance being paid while off on disability. I would think...and this is just me thinking.....that the UPSF part of the ins would continue to be paid as usual....after all you are still an employee....but the employee's part would either be the responsibility of the employee or come out of his or her disability check either by deduction or direct pay by the employee. If you did not take out the disability insurance you would be responsible to come up with that money yourself. If you aren't receiving a pay check (or disability check) then UPSF has nothing to take your portion from. Therefore it might be a wise choice to take extra disability insurance out through AFLAC which I believe is offered. I am BIG on having enough insurance coverage. One never knows what tomorrow will bring but with certainty it will bring the same monthly bills in the mail box, working or not.

Hello, I just reread your reply and LORD NO I WAS NOT THINKING WORK STOPPAGE! That thought never entered my mind!

I don't think you are stupid Teddy Bear...I have ADD so I understand that it may take you a while to get the point,don't worry,alot of employees STILL don't get it...never the less CMS is now a union barn.

U

Uncle Buck

"Employees will be paid for all hours spent in the service of their employer." This was in the Indianapolis Rundown of the contract. This negates the possibility of not being paid for your delays. Furthermore, the current "delay time pay" (13.00/hr) will no longer be recognized, and all employees will recieve wages concurrent to their base hourly wage (21.50 currently) and no less while being in service for the employer. To address pension squabbles, UPS Ground Freight, your employer which is a subsidiary of the United Parcel Service, will not give the pension dividends to the Teamsters (speaking of central states pension program directly) because UPS bought out of the Teamsters pension programs, and now deal with pensions directly. All UPS and UPSF employees are still eligible for the pension program through UPS after a service period of no less than 20 years. Once the Teamsters are integrated, we as employees have the option to enroll into the Teamsters 401k retirement plan, as well as UPS 401k plans. The pension is a seperate issue, and deffers completely from a 401k. We aren't losing a pension as of yet, but this could change for those who haven't locked in at the 20 years to be eligible.

The rest is dependent on individual terminal negotiations. Either way, more job security, wages, benefits, and better treatment are on the way.

What people don't understand is, this contract is WITH negotiations! What would UPS give us without negotiations? NOTHING! Anything negative in this contract is from the company. The union wants us to make all the money we can. The more money we make the more money the union makes. Don't blame the union for anything negative in this contract. The union can only negotiate. The union cannot demand anything from the company. People that don't like this contract had better realize that it is the company, not the union, that put the bad stuff in this contract.

U

Uncle Buck

by looking at just the financial part I don't think it is a good contract, here is why,

1. we lose the drop&hook point system, which I like, I make almost $300 a week with it

2. we lose the 401k match, which is about $2800 a year for me figuire it out over 25 years gaining intrest.

3. I am never delayed, I work the dock, every driver that comes to the hub has that option

4. (I am not 100% on this) but it was said on another UPS forum that roaddriver vacation pay will be paid at 8 hours and not an average daily pay as it is now. $70k a year 4 weeks vacation = $1800 lost

total lost over a year about $20,000 (not including intrest from the 401k match)

The drop and hook point scale will be replaced by paid actual time spent, to make the same amount of money I will have to spend about 14 hours a week dropping and hooking.

I would much rather be in the cab with the wheels turning becuase that is where the most money/hr is made.

I also understand that some people will benefit from this contract especially those who are delayed everyday. And there are runs that do triple turns which will lose more than me.

What I don't understand is why p&d gets gains across the board and does not lose anything.

You are a cronic complainer! This is the best contract in the history of contracts! I wouldn't add on thing to this contract. I love my job and I love UPS. I come in on my days off just to sweep the parking lot and was my truck. I love my job!!!