Injuries vs accidents

35years

Gravy route
I had exactly 2 backs per day on a city route I did for 2 years.
My backs are far, far safer now that I have decades of backing experience from rural routes.

Every back is planned, every back is controlled.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No one ever goes in a driveway with the intention of hitting someone, it only takes one time. I choose not to put myself in a situation where that can ever happen. I respect others drivers decisions to do so, but one must weigh that choice themselves.
Depends on the route too. Long driveways you have to ride in.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Many of you people are completely hypnotized by the repetitive, suggestive rhetoric of the Company that is designed to reduce liability, not "at risk" behavior.

The Company doesn't really want us to take measures that will reduce productivity, they just want to be on record saying they do, hence the conflict between allowances and reality.
These arbitrary allowances are manipulated by the Company and are designed to encourage us to "chase the rabbit".

Then when something happens, the Company who insures and bonds us as drivers, can claim we were trained to the contrary.
This shifts the liability to the driver and away from the Company.

The answer is....there is no all inclusive script.

Every scenario is unique, and an exercise in common sense and judgement, as the Company leverages our personal life against our professional life.

You need not look any further to validate this hypocrisy than the "bonus system", which rewards those who push the envelope.

So, in my case, I look after my future by looking out for the public, while preserving my body when I can, carefully and by the hour.

Allowances be damned.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Many of you people are completely hypnotized by the repetitive, suggestive rhetoric of the Company that is designed to reduce liability, not "at risk" behavior.

The Company doesn't really want us to take measures that will reduce productivity, they just want to be on record saying they do, hence the conflict between allowances and reality.
These arbitrary allowances are manipulated and designed to encourage us to "chase the rabbit".

Then when something happens, the Company who insures and bonds us as drivers, can claim we were trained to the contrary.

Every scenario is unique, and an exercise in common sense and judgement, as the Company leverages our personal life against our professional life.

You need not look any further to validate this hypocrisy than the "bonus system", which rewards those who push the envelope.

So, in my case, I look after my future by looking out for the public, while preserving my body when I can, carefully by the hour.

Allowances be damned.
This post needs to be archived. Some of best information newbies could ever receive. @Monkey Butt this needs to be archived somehow.

JackStraw

Yep.

Cracked a mirror once, 120 yard driveway.
Center Manager said I should have walked it off.
Walked them all off for a while...2 1/2 hrs over every day.
He rode with me to get me to start driving them again.
He made the call on every driveway...We had 80 backs.
He trusts my judgement now.
Yep, safety first, unless it gets in the way of production.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy

These arbitrary allowances are manipulated by the Company and are designed to encourage us to "chase the rabbit".

So, in my case, I look after my future by looking out for the public, while preserving my body when I can, carefully and by the hour.

Allowances be damned.
Well...roll damn tide

jaker

trolling
I had a semi rural route and quite a few long drive ways , dead ends dirt roads with no turn around and I average about 40 backs and day . when they really pushed to make me lower it I start walking everything after a few days my over allowed is through the roof and my backing gets over look

I also do the same thing when they try to give me a bigger truck

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
One day they're gonna send a message saying "call the office before you put it in reverse"
My center tried this a couple of years ago. Took around 5 minutes to get through to a sup for an OK to back up to the TP60. After about 10 calls in for permission to back they told me not to call anymore.

Wally

images-8.jpg

DOK

Backing more, and driving more driveways increases your chances of an accident but decreases your injury risk.
The way I see it is if I save 50 steps per stop in a rural area, at 100 stops, that saves my back, knees, ankles etc. 5,000 steps a day, 125,000 steps a year . Half of that is carrying boxes, which is hard on your body. Walking them off also dramatically increases your chances of a twisted ankle, slip/fall, disk injury etc.

I will trade a cracked mirror once every 10 years to 1,250,000 more steps.
Give me a warning letter, my body is more important.

Agreed. Your truck is a work aid, similar to a hand cart.

Wally

One day they're gonna send a message saying "call the office before you put it in reverse"
Stupidest management decision I have ever heard. Lol

Who ever thought of that one must be upper management by now.

Why not fix Orion to minimize backs. It would look like ODO.