IS and IBM Consulting Deal

T

THE WORM

There may not be layoffs in the immediate future. But Management will continue to squeeze its people. Their motto "Do more with Less". I can say the partnership is gone, its all about the almighty dollar. I.S. is run by a bean counter. Which I won't mind if this friend---king stock would just go up in price (POS).

Which I won't mind if this friend---king stock would just go up in price (POS).

Price is $72. If you bought 25 years ago your cost basis is zero. No movement is just fine to the higher levels of management. You may want the stock to rise but the gold braids couldn't care less. Even someone as mentally challenged as Mr. Clean is a millionaire.

ups_tech

Funny thing, talking about bringing in the "IT Experts" at IBM. I left UPS several years ago for greener pastures. It truly is better on the outside. I literally make twice what I did at UPS. UPS *did* have some good people, its been my experience most of them have left.

As part of my knew job I have had the pleasure to work with IBM consultants. They are slow, inept, poorly managed and full of politics. Sound familiar? The UPS/IBM partnership should be perfect, they speak each others language perfectly. UPS still running OS/2? IBM might have been the only company they could find to support it.

Which I won't mind if this friend---king stock would just go up in price (POS).

Ha, why should it go up? Has the management gotten any better since it went public? Has the company become more efficient? Knowing how willing management is to fudge report numbers I have ZERO faith of any of the numbers coming out of accounting.

Price is $72. If you bought 25 years ago your cost basis is zero. No movement is just fine to the higher levels of management. You may want the stock to rise but the gold braids couldn't care less. Even someone as mentally challenged as Mr. Clean is a millionaire.

25 years ago the company was privately held and employees could not buy stock. The only people with stock back then was management and the price was artificial, so they all made money.

Max Moroder

Malcontent
Part of the problem in I.T. is that upper-management have no I.T. experience. They are accountant types (a.k.a. bean counters) with no concept or appreciation of what we do. They treat us as resources to be moved around and expect us to be effective right away wherever they move us. They manage people s if they out in the District. The previous poster had it right when they stated that the term Partner lost it meaning after we went Public. The only people who use that term are the old-timers who are sitting on tons of UPS Stock - intent on motivating us to do more with less.

A

and now

and now IBM is moving to Payroll....won't be long before I.T. will be no more...get your resumes updated and out on the street...

L

Long Time District Sup

It's about time you start to feel some pressure in I.T....It is peak season for us and I will put another 12-14 hour day in on Monday. I have a degree in engineering and I am amazed at the attitudes of you IT people have. You act like someone owes you a cushy job.
Maybe if you spent time in the district pushing packages you would appreciate what you have and deliver a product that works. I am saddened when I have DIAd boards that don't work and customers who can't get labels out of their Worldship and their Bills are wrong or don't even come and then they are harrassed by the collections people.......

I now understand why we cost so much !! It is the Lazy people in I.T. who worry about how they can go home early while we bust our butts.

I have 2 years to go and I hope to have a pension and medical benefits......

Get off the dime and stop complaining about bean counters and start giving us quality products otherwise....let China or India replace you all !!!!!

ISFriendly

The most important thing about the malcontent, is that he is malcontent—unhappy, unsettled, displeased with the world as he sees it—not at ease with the world of the play in which he finds himself, eager to change it somehow, or to dispute with it. He is an objective or quasi-objective voice that comments on the concerns of the play and comments as though he is somehow above or beyond them.

Is this how you want to be perceived ?

I

Illegal Immigrant

It's about time you start to feel some pressure in I.T....It is peak season for us and I will put another 12-14 hour day in on Monday. I have a degree in engineering and I am amazed at the attitudes of you IT people have. You act like someone owes you a cushy job.
Maybe if you spent time in the district pushing packages you would appreciate what you have and deliver a product that works. I am saddened when I have DIAd boards that don't work and customers who can't get labels out of their Worldship and their Bills are wrong or don't even come and then they are harrassed by the collections people.......

I now understand why we cost so much !! It is the Lazy people in I.T. who worry about how they can go home early while we bust our butts.

Get off the dime and stop complaining about bean counters and start giving us quality products otherwise....let China or India replace you all !!!!!

Yes, right after IBM replaces IT with China and India they will, God
willing, break the union and replace you with an illegal immigrant.

See, it isn't so cool to insult people is it?!

Max Moroder

Malcontent
Hey "Long Time District Sup " I would like to see you cry to your union-rep when you don't get paid over-time... What we call extra-time in I.T. because we don't get paid extra for the extra-time we work. The Fat-Man has an expectation that we put in a little extra so that we can get by with less resources. As for resolving the I.T. problems you stated, I wish you luck when you'll have to call half-way around the world to speak to someone who's English sucks. As for replacing you, we can probable get some hard-working Mexicans at a 1/4 of the amount we are paying your sorry ass. I hope UPS freezes the pension before you retire you so you get squat (something else to cripe about) - because it will come.

Hey "Long Time District Sup " I would like to see you cry to your union-rep when you don't get paid over-time... What we call extra-time in I.T. because we don't get paid extra for the extra-time we work. The Fat-Man has an expectation that we put in a little extra so that we can get by with less resources. As for resolving the I.T. problems you stated, I wish you luck when you'll have to call half-way around the world to speak to someone who's English sucks. As for replacing you, we can probable get some hard-working Mexicans at a 1/4 of the amount we are paying your sorry ass. I hope UPS freezes the pension before you retire you so you get squat (something else to cripe about) - because it will come.

I got news for you Max Moroder - just about ANY salaried employee at ANY company is expected to work extra hours when needed. UPS is not a software or IT company where the employees are catered to. UPS is a production intensive company that milks every ounce of energy out of all available resources - plain and simple. If there was some kind of "partnership" or whatever you call it in the past, that obviously is long gone. Most UPS management has at some point worked in operations and I understand you are in corporate IS and shouldn't have to have operations in your background. But having some exposure to operations gives you additional insight to what the code you are writing will be used for.

If you don't like the work environment, then quit. Find a company that appreciates the true value of technical people. That's what I did.

nerrollus

A) We're hourly, non-union, FT employees so we don't go home early. We work 8 hours and go home. We work over time as required, which means 3am on a Saturday when a server tanks we get out of bed and come to work.

B) We ARE owed a cushy jobs because we went to school and learned how to do tech work so we could have cushy jobs. If you really have a degree in engineering, why don't you get off your ass and get a real job that won't have you working 12-14 hour days.

C) The reason all your crap is broken and it's not being fixed is because the higher ups in our department FORCE us to put off work for 1-2 days so we can plan it. If it was up to the techs like it used to be, the work would be done as soon as it was called in instead of 2-3 days later. So don't act like we're the ones pissing in your corn flakes.

We're getting bent over far more than you. We're not union and don't get all the protection of it. We don't get MIP, xmas bonuses, 6 figure salaries, and we don't get to come and go as we please out side of peak. You're obviously very bent out of shape because of misinformation. I'd love for some of these bean counters and monkeys that think we're living high on the hog to work in our shoes for awhile. We may not be out busting boxes and manual labor, but we get enough crap coming down on us from our management and all the people we can't serve because of all the rules to fill a dump truck or twelve.

L

Long Time District Sup

We are mgmt and do not have union reps ! I hear that there is a language issue today in NJ I/T that is why the crap don't work when we get it.....Freezing the pension doesn't hurt me fool !!!!!!

And if the Mexicans want the job, good for them. They deserve to be employed. I did not know the I/T dept were a bunch of racists.

Hey "Long Time District Sup " I would like to see you cry to your union-rep when you don't get paid over-time... What we call extra-time in I.T. because we don't get paid extra for the extra-time we work. The Fat-Man has an expectation that we put in a little extra so that we can get by with less resources. As for resolving the I.T. problems you stated, I wish you luck when you'll have to call half-way around the world to speak to someone who's English sucks. As for replacing you, we can probable get some hard-working Mexicans at a 1/4 of the amount we are paying your sorry ***. I hope UPS freezes the pension before you retire you so you get squat (something else to cripe about) - because it will come.

S

Sarcastic Anonymoose

It's about time you start to feel some pressure in I.T....It is peak season for us and I will put another 12-14 hour day in on Monday.
This sounds like a misery-loves-company whine. You want IT to put in long days when you are putting in long days, but you don't mention whether you will work long and hard when IT is busy.
I have a degree in engineering and I am amazed at the attitudes of you IT people have. You act like someone owes you a cushy job.
Couldn't pass the EIT and get an engineering job? You seem to think desk jobs are cushy - why not get one instead of displaying your jealousy?
Maybe if you spent time in the district pushing packages you would appreciate what you have and deliver a product that works.
As a supervisor, how much union work do you perform?
I am saddened when I have DIAd boards that don't work and customers who can't get labels out of their Worldship and their Bills are wrong or don't even come and then they are harrassed by the collections people.......
I see that your complaint is about upper Management of IT, since it boils down to the decisions about the level of support of each of these items. DIAD spare factors have been reduced over the years, TSG staffing no longer covers a 4-hour-maximum response window for a broken printer. TSG no longer has the time to train the shipper, so it is up to the AE to cover it. Bills travel to the customer via whom? How reliable is that?

I get it. Good one - complain about clock watchers, then reveal yourself as a calendar watcher.
Yup. There's the key to quality.

L

Long Time District Sup

I must have hit home with you I/T ........

You thimk this company owes you something....you are wrong

You want MIP and don't want to earn it........you are wrong

Where is your risk ??

What makes you think that this global company has to keep you high salaried job here in the U.S. when they can get 5 of you at the same price in India and Asia..

They owe the investors a return on their investment...get used to it.....that is what the real world is about.

Most I/Ters came from other companies that they bankrupted.......

T

Time Out

what does any of this have to do with the Thorny Rose MAKING SURE the ERI #s were good to her?...close this thread and start a new one if you want to go that far off topic...

ISFriendly

Hey Timeout this has nothing to do with Rose this was started as IS and IBM consulting deal.

I think you should get your act together and stop posting under a Coward way of doing it........

B

BROWN4LIFE15

hey ISFriendly....your first name initial wouldn't happen to be the same as your last name initial, would it? :happy2:

C

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Long Time District Sup

I once was in the Operation, but got a degree and moved on. Bottom line is anyone with people skills can run an operation, well at least at a supervisor level. IT People are paid to think and design. There are a lot of politics here at UPS and at all non IT fortune 500 companies.

Outsourcing to Asia/India is a huge mistake, ever tried to communicate with someone who speaks broken English? Dell is paying for this now.

As far as IBM, well so what if we do outsource to IBM, most of us would transition to IBM employees. One of the big Bells just outsourced to IBM and most employees were retained by IBM.

Next question as political as we are do you think we would ever really give up complete control of our business systems to a vender?