Is It Time To Take The Next Step?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So they're gonna start giving you all these goodies because you've run up the costs? That's... interesting.

The only thing you accomplish by purposely running up the costs is giving management a reason to trim some fat. Wanna take a guess as to which employees they'll target first?

I'm going to try and increase your intelligence about FedEx a bit, OK? If you're a 6 year employee, that puts you about halfway up the wage scale, right? So, you'll finally top-out in another 6 years or so. Sound good? I'm guessing you're right around $18.00 per hour right now, depending on your market level, of course. ZOWEE, Batman!!!That's some BIG money!

If you ever get injured or sick, those same wonderful and supportive managers you mention will turn on you in a heartbeat because you've gone from "asset" to "liability" in the eyes of the company. They are going to do everything possible to get rid of you, not because they don't like you, but because that's company policy. Just ask anyone who has been seriously hurt on the job. They probably had to hire an attorney just to keep their position. Don't believe me? Wait and see.

In 1998, I made $52,000 as a FT Courier in a major market. In 2008, I made $44,000 in that same market. What does that say about the way FedEx has kept up with the cost of living? It was about the same in 2007, before the recession.

Do you ever plan on retiring? If you hired-in 6 years ago, you have 12% under the old plan, and then got converted to the PPP on 6-1-08. Under the PPP you'll get what....about $25 per month, and about $500 per year in cash value? WOW!! Oh yeah, you're PT, so it would be even less.

So, if you want to continue being a clueless tool for Fred, please be my guest. You'll "bust your butt" for him, and then someday you'll blow-out your knee and the company will smack you down hard for all of your dedication and hard effort. Like I said before, FedEx loves lemmings like you who give their all every day and then willingly jump off the cliff when Fred says "boo". Use your brain for thinking, not following.

In 1998, I made $52,000 as a FT Courier in a major market. In 2008, I made $44,000 in that same market. What does that say about the way FedEx has kept up with the cost of living? It was about the same in 2007, before the recession.

Maybe it's because you aren't getting the OT when the economy was better. Hmmm

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe it's because you aren't getting the OT when the economy was better. Hmmm

OT has been way down for years because of over-hiring of part-timers. That wouldn't be a problem if wages had kept pace with the cost of living. I can't blame FedEx for trying to keep FT people at 40, but I can ream them for their compensation policies. Losing the retirement plan makes it even worse, because total compensation is down at an even higher percentage relative to COL.

FedEx All the Way!

Is it time to start disrupting FedEx Express operations? I talked about this a few months ago but recent events make the subject much more pertinent today.

It's clear that upper management is still playing the same old game of ignoring us and hoping we'll go away. They act like nothing's wrong and that everybody is a happy camper. It's fine with them if we continue to move backwards in terms of wages and benefits. Right now, we're at about 1998, and if they get their way, we'll continue to move back in time towards the Stone Age.

There are many things we can all do on a daily basis to make them pay attention, from just slowing down and doing everything by the book, to more radical actions that defy policy and risk retaliation. It wouldn't be difficult to slow things down by 10% and keep everyone within "policy".

Do you want to work for a WalMart clone, or do you want a better future than that? Perhaps it's time to step-up and cause some "problems".

Please all you do is want to disrupt the company - get on with something new!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I'm a full time courier in a major market and I only cleared about $39k last year...and we have pt's that are making almost $60k. What's wrong with this picture? I volunteer for extra hours wherever and whenever I can, yet I get shot down unless it benefits a manager for me to go back out. Four years ago I was clearing over $55k at the same station. I beg and plead for hours, and manage to scrape 38-39 on a good week...this is because one of our new managers had the brainstorm to move my missort route to the RTD's because it would eliminate a route and onroad hours.

I'm in for a "by-the-book" day. The managers, seniors and directors need to know we're serious (but have no way to prove it!!) Also, what does it tell you, when I miss ONE van scan out of a 1000 pc bulk, and a pt FO driver breaks 15 and a half hours IN ONE DAY??!! I get a written counseling and he got NOTHING so far, that was a month ago.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a full time courier in a major market and I only cleared about $39k last year...and we have pt's that are making almost $60k. What's wrong with this picture? I volunteer for extra hours wherever and whenever I can, yet I get shot down unless it benefits a manager for me to go back out. Four years ago I was clearing over $55k at the same station. I beg and plead for hours, and manage to scrape 38-39 on a good week...this is because one of our new managers had the brainstorm to move my missort route to the RTD's because it would eliminate a route and onroad hours.

I'm in for a "by-the-book" day. The managers, seniors and directors need to know we're serious (but have no way to prove it!!) Also, what does it tell you, when I miss ONE van scan out of a 1000 pc bulk, and a pt FO driver breaks 15 and a half hours IN ONE DAY??!! I get a written counseling and he got NOTHING so far, that was a month ago.

A "by the book day" would be a successful strategy and there would be nothing management could do, because we would simply we following their rules. Drive safe, get 2 people to lift any pkg over 75 lbs and on and on. If we could get the RTD's to help-out, it would be even better. No one man container unloading, full 30 minute pre-trips etc. Management has zero respect for us because we've just taken it for so long. They're confident that the RLA Exemption will be retained, so they think they can bend us over even more.

The assignment of hours is a complete joke at my station too, as is discipline. Some screw-up all the time and nothing happens to them, and other excellent couriers get OLCC'ed for the most minor of issues.

partykid

They told the manager, who ran a IIb23 for that day and the 3 days prior. Then he asked the courier why he got in so late, and the courier gave him some BS. It didn't match up with the IIb23. BOOM, warning letter. He got another two weeks after that.

The manager is just letting him worry himself to death about losing his job. The guy is walking on eggshells and is nearly paranoid. One more letter and he's gone -- all because he wanted to make a point................. Sounds like you need a union...LOL

FedEx courier

You're partially right....I have little faith in the Senate. As of last week, the exemption language has not even been added to the Senate version of the FAA Bill.

The senate commerce committee is still drawing up the bill. I really don't understand why it would not be looking good for the classification change at this point, it's looking better than it ever has. FedEx is trying to launch a grass roots campaign against this because they don't have faith in their lobbyists. That can be the only reason for the brownbailout propaganda. This issue is long from over right now.

Ricochet1a

The senate commerce committee is still drawing up the bill. I really don't understand why it would not be looking good for the classification change at this point, it's looking better than it ever has. FedEx is trying to launch a grass roots campaign against this because they don't have faith in their lobbyists. That can be the only reason for the brownbailout propaganda. This issue is long from over right now.

The key point is that the language isn't in the bill right now. When ever language must be added, it must be done through an amendment process, that involves a lot of horse trading. FedEx is confident it will keep the language out, because their lobbyists have reported back that an amendment wouldn't have the votes to be included right now. This is the reason for the announcemnt a couple of weeks ago about NO pay raise this year and a pittance for next year. If the amendment looked like it was going to be included, we would've received something this year for payraises (cheaper to pay us a little now, in the hope that they don't pay us a lot later). The bailout propaganda is FedEx's attempt at misdirection. This is classic politics. Don't look at what the right hand is doing (keeping employees from unionizing), look at the left (UPS wants a bailout).

FedEx courier

The key point is that the language isn't in the bill right now. When ever language must be added, it must be done through an amendment process, that involves a lot of horse trading. FedEx is confident it will keep the language out, because their lobbyists have reported back that an amendment wouldn't have the votes to be included right now. This is the reason for the announcemnt a couple of weeks ago about NO pay raise this year and a pittance for next year. If the amendment looked like it was going to be included, we would've received something this year for payraises (cheaper to pay us a little now, in the hope that they don't pay us a lot later). The bailout propaganda is FedEx's attempt at misdirection. This is classic politics. Don't look at what the right hand is doing (keeping employees from unionizing), look at the left (UPS wants a bailout).

I see what your saying and I thought the same about the pay raises. However I also think they will be as cheap as possible as long as possible. As arrogant and strange as they are sometimes (and used to buying whatever exemptions they've gotten) I don't think they really are worried about appeasing employees right now. They still seem to be lobbying very hard against this bill, I don't really see how they know they have the votes. Did you hear some definite evidence of this? Just wondering. This is an article from a couple of days ago that shows FedEx still seems to be campaigning really hard to leave this express courier protection out of the Faa reauthorization. I just don't understand why they would still be doing this if their victory was certain at this point. Check it out.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10625895

Ricochet1a

I see what your saying and I thought the same about the pay raises. However I also think they will be as cheap as possible as long as possible. As arrogant and strange as they are sometimes (and used to buying whatever exemptions they've gotten) I don't think they really are worried about appeasing employees right now. They still seem to be lobbying very hard against this bill, I don't really see how they know they have the votes. Did you hear some definite evidence of this? Just wondering. This is an article from a couple of days ago that shows FedEx still seems to be campaigning really hard to leave this express courier protection out of the Faa reauthorization. I just don't understand why they would still be doing this if their victory was certain at this point. Check it out.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10625895

How do they know this,that they have the votes, right now?

That is what lobbyists and staffers are paid to do and know, and they are paid VERY well.

Did I hear some definate evidence of this? Yes, I heard evidence of this the weekend prior to the corporate wide email going out announcing no payraises for this year, and the very small raises for next year (which weren't even "guaranteed", they were conditional on unspecified goals being met).

I do have friends from before I was with FedEx, that I served political internships with when we were getting our bachelors degrees. One just happens to be very familiar with the goings on with transportation issues (works as a staffer). The language isn't in, and so far, it isn't anticipated to be included during final markup of the bill when it hits full committee. However, that staffer friend of mine admits that you can never predict the future in Washington unless you can get information out of the horses mouth literally (all Senators), and very few actually get that.

As with all things political, this could change in a moment if a handshake is made here and there. A politician can shake the hand of a lobbyists one moment, and after they've left his office, call in their staffer to make notes to change pending legislation one way or another. Nothing is truly guaranteed in Washington until the final bill makes it to the floor for vote.

FedEx will continue to fight like crazy until the FAA reauthorizaton bill makes it out of Congress. This is the closest that they've come to having to deal with unions in the history of the company. They've made it VERY clear that they see unions entering FedEx (with the exception of the pilots) as a doomsday scenario. FedEx would have to change they way it conducts business and would lose an important competitive edge against UPS. If FedEx were to simultaneously lose its RLA status for Express, and have the IC model for Ground smacked down by the courts, it would be in a world of hurt. Both "divisions" would have the Teamsters knocking down the doors in no time, and FedEx would lose big (the employees would win big).

It used to be said what was good for FedEx was good for its employees. This isn't the case anymore. Given the change in corporate philosophy over the past 5-10 years (from even before I worked with FedEx), what is good for FedEx is BAD for its employees. Most just don't realize it, or don't want to realize that (big cognitive dissonance issue would develop).

For FedEx Corporation, the issues involve literally BILLIONS of dollars over a modest time frame. This is why they aren't going to stop fighting until its RLA status is as secure as the nation's gold supply. To FedEx, the RLA status is as good as gold and they'll stop at nothing to preserve it. FedEx shouldn't have the GFT policy mounted on a nice plaque in every operating location, it should have the Railway Labor Act mounted on a nice plaque with gold leaf borders.

FedEx courier

How do they know this,that they have the votes, right now?

That is what lobbyists and staffers are paid to do and know, and they are paid VERY well.

Did I hear some definate evidence of this? Yes, I heard evidence of this the weekend prior to the corporate wide email going out announcing no payraises for this year, and the very small raises for next year (which weren't even "guaranteed", they were conditional on unspecified goals being met).

I do have friends from before I was with FedEx, that I served political internships with when we were getting our bachelors degrees. One just happens to be very familiar with the goings on with transportation issues (works as a staffer). The language isn't in, and so far, it isn't anticipated to be included during final markup of the bill when it hits full committee. However, that staffer friend of mine admits that you can never predict the future in Washington unless you can get information out of the horses mouth literally (all Senators), and very few actually get that.

As with all things political, this could change in a moment if a handshake is made here and there. A politician can shake the hand of a lobbyists one moment, and after they've left his office, call in their staffer to make notes to change pending legislation one way or another. Nothing is truly guaranteed in Washington until the final bill makes it to the floor for vote.

FedEx will continue to fight like crazy until the FAA reauthorizaton bill makes it out of Congress. This is the closest that they've come to having to deal with unions in the history of the company. They've made it VERY clear that they see unions entering FedEx (with the exception of the pilots) as a doomsday scenario. FedEx would have to change they way it conducts business and would lose an important competitive edge against UPS. If FedEx were to simultaneously lose its RLA status for Express, and have the IC model for Ground smacked down by the courts, it would be in a world of hurt. Both "divisions" would have the Teamsters knocking down the doors in no time, and FedEx would lose big (the employees would win big).

It used to be said what was good for FedEx was good for its employees. This isn't the case anymore. Given the change in corporate philosophy over the past 5-10 years (from even before I worked with FedEx), what is good for FedEx is BAD for its employees. Most just don't realize it, or don't want to realize that (big cognitive dissonance issue would develop).

For FedEx Corporation, the issues involve literally BILLIONS of dollars over a modest time frame. This is why they aren't going to stop fighting until its RLA status is as secure as the nation's gold supply. To FedEx, the RLA status is as good as gold and they'll stop at nothing to preserve it. FedEx shouldn't have the GFT policy mounted on a nice plaque in every operating location, it should have the Railway Labor Act mounted on a nice plaque with gold leaf borders.

I totally agree, I have just heard both sides of this. FedEx management declared victory as soon as this issue was brought up, even after the house passed the bill with the express courier protection language in it. FedEx managers still seem a little squirmy to me? I think FedEx just thinks all of their employees are stupid and they will believe the untrue b.s. that FedEx management tells them about Unions and not vote for it. I will never forget how arrogant they are so I certainly don't believe most of what they say.

I have also spoken with a Union rep at UPS that told me this language was certain to be put in the Faa bill and passed. I just think this is still up in the air. The democrats have the senate majority now and most of them support EFCA, I don't see why they should be against the language in the bill but then again like you say a lot of money is being spent on this. It's sad that FedEx spent what should of been the employees raise lobbying to fight this. According to the memphis commercial appeal FedEx spent over two million in the first quarter lobbying against this.

TheChad1980

I want to know if you guys are so unhappy with FedEx and Fred S then why dont you find a new job.Leave the ones who beleive in FedEx alone. Your constant complaining does nothing but prove that you are in fact an employee who comes to work and brings down moral. There is a name for people like you and its a "VIRUS". We would be glad to be rid of you so why dont you jump ship to the BIG BROWN and then you can complain about how bad it is there too. You will never be happy at anything you do. I heard DHL is hiring in Germany!!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I want to know if you guys are so unhappy with FedEx and Fred S then why dont you find a new job.Leave the ones who beleive in FedEx alone. Your constant complaining does nothing but prove that you are in fact an employee who comes to work and brings down moral. There is a name for people like you and its a "VIRUS". We would be glad to be rid of you so why dont you jump ship to the BIG BROWN and then you can complain about how bad it is there too. You will never be happy at anything you do. I heard DHL is hiring in Germany!!!!!

We beam trolls directly over to brownbailout.com....they'll be happy to post your crap there. Next time, try using the spell check feature.

fedex_rtd

Chad; Just who is "we"? If you work in this industry you would understand that an employee in the trucking industry is going to have to start from the bottom when he or she starts a new job, with a new company. So unless he or she wants to give up 10 or 15 years of seniority and start all over again, the smart move is for them to work to improve the conditions at their present employer, and that is what "WE" the hourly employees at express are trying to do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Chad; Just who is "we"? If you work in this industry you would understand that an employee in the trucking industry is going to have to start from the bottom when he or she starts a new job, with a new company. So unless he or she wants to give up 10 or 15 years of seniority and start all over again, the smart move is for them to work to improve the conditions at their present employer, and that is what "WE" the hourly employees at express are trying to do.

"Chad" read the George Will article after visiting brownbailout.com and is now an expert on all matters pertaining to FedEx Express. Please bow down before his genius.