Is My Job Safe?

Fnix

That would only leave 9 people on my shift. Of the 121 people who worked this past Friday, only 9 people have enough seniority to even qualify for vacation. I have never seen such a turnover rate.

Thats good if you wanna drive, less competition.

these days, nobodys job is safe just ask the DHL drivers with 20 years in who are now officialy out of a job as of friday or the UAW workers with 30 years in who are also out of a job

herbigharo32

Those are two companies that are going out of business or on the verge of going broke. The automakers are producing cars that the typical worker can not afford. Credit dried up and the cars are sitting idle left to rust. DHL could not compete with UPS!

gandydancer

That would only leave 9 people on my shift. Of the 121 people who worked this past Friday, only 9 people have enough seniority to even qualify for vacation. I have never seen such a turnover rate.

New hires don't get benefits for a long time, a wage cut of several dollars an hour compared with the last contract. And the starting money wage is only $0.50/hr more than 1980. Even in a down economy it's no surprise the turnover rate went up. HerBigHaro32 won't have to wait long, IMHO.

herbigharo32

You have a good point. The monies saved by UPS in order to lay me off would be quite miniscle, if not potentially cost more in the long run. But, then again I found that the laws of economics does not necessarily apply in all situations.