Is normal OT awarded by seniority

35years

Gravy route
So I would like someone who actually has some expertise or experience at panel, not just opinion...

If this no OT stuff keeps up through March people will start asserting their seniority to secure OT.
Any contract experts out there who can explain how it would work?

Say there are 4-5 guys in a loop. With ORION dispatch there are no distinct route boarders anymore.

If the top seniority guy in the loop opts out of 9.5 protection and wants OT, can he successfully file if another guy in the loop consistantly gets longer paid days?
Does he have the right to relieve (take stops off) the less senior employee? How about relieving guys outside the loop but who are on the way back to the bldg?

Could the more senior worker bump a member or co-chair off the safety committee for OT? Would it be the call of the BA or the Center Manager? Or if neither agree, would a grievance accomplish it?

Central Region language...

Section 16 -Extra Work
Seniority shall prevail for extra work and the work shall be assigned
by seniority, within the classification and work area, to those who
are qualified, present and available

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This is the elephant in the room that we’ve been discussing in our building.

We’ll get a slight reprieve from peak but come the new year our fear is that OT will get real thin. Safety committees have been a question thrown around here and then there’s the EAM’s. As of now it’s not an issue but we know that all seniority issues are supposed to be building wide and not just limited to the individual center.

The union will have no choice but to get involved and clearly clarify who has right to any and all OT options.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Nothing wrong with getting OT, but depending on it to live, you got other problems.

Folks need to realize, it’s not the lack of OT, it’s the lifestyle some have built around it. Barring some extraordinary costs of living, and no, a 4000sq ft house with boat parked in the driveway doesn’t count, you should be able to have a comfortable lifestyle on 45 a week.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Man you guy spend so much time bitching about too much OT and now you are bitching about not enough OT.
Personally I get plenty but you’d need to be deaf dumb and blind to not hear it as the number one topic in my building.

Apart from the usual BS of “live with in your means” and “first too much and now not enough” there are real employees who are hurting financially with little to no OT.

So yes.....this issue needs to be clearly clarified by the union.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Personally I get plenty but you’d need to be deaf dumb and blind to not hear it as the number one topic in my building.

Apart from the usual BS of “live with in your means” and “first too much and now not enough” there are real employees who are hurting financially with little to no OT.

Not the problem of the Union or UPS.
It is the enployees problem for being financially irresponsible

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Agreed. I’m in a position now where I don’t want or need it , but I get how some guys count on it. It’s just wrong how they are handling it.

35years

Gravy route
Before we judge how others overspend...

Some of us support 7 people with our Ups check.

Some of us have dependant children or parents who are disabled.

Some of us have not have had a vacation outside of tent camping for decades.

Some of us drive 20 year old vehicles.

So let's assume the OT is not for frivolous toys.

Does seniority mean anything when wanting OT or not?

BUG?
MUG?
Others who actually know?

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Some of up drive 20 year old vehicles.

BUG?
MUG?
I agree with everything you said, what is your question

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Some of up drive 20 year old vehicles.

BUG?
MUG?
And some of us worked 60 hour weeks on purpose for years to get ourselves out of those situations where we “needed” the OT.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I got paid guarantee twice last week, I’m ok with that.
I got it four times.....but I get my OT in the AM. It different but definitely nice to have real dinner at the normal time. Only thought is when a real “peak” day hits we’re all gonna die out there cause none of us are conditioned for late nights anymore.