Is Smith Ready To Make the Move to Ground?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So your only comeback is to the little jab I took? Nothing to refute the meat of the discussion?

The "meat" of your discussion is the same old SPAM. The bottom line is that FedEx takes full advantage of it's employees because it can. That's unethical, but a lack of ethics hasn't seemed to be an issue for our leadership.

quadro

The "meat" of your discussion is the same old SPAM. The bottom line is that FedEx takes full advantage of it's employees because it can. That's unethical, but a lack of ethics hasn't seemed to be an issue for our leadership.
Right. Understood. You can't dispute the facts that I present so you ignore them. Good strategy.

bbsam

Staff member
Ahem. I would just like to go on record at this time to say that I like Spam. Alot. We used to have it with Gramma's homemade macaroni and cheese. Oh, and that macaroni and cheese was the absolute best ever and nobody has ever been able to duplicate it. Thank you for that memory. Gramma and Grampa's house always smelled delightful. A kind of sweet, spiced ham smell. Ok. That's all. Thank-you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Right. Understood. You can't dispute the facts that I present so you ignore them. Good strategy.

Your "facts" are mostly pro-company opinion. You seem like a bright individual, but don't seem to have any issues with the way FedEx does business. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ahem. I would just like to go on record at this time to say that I like Spam. Alot. We used to have it with Gramma's homemade macaroni and cheese. Oh, and that macaroni and cheese was the absolute best ever and nobody has ever been able to duplicate it. Thank you for that memory. Gramma and Grampa's house always smelled delightful. A kind of sweet, spiced ham smell. Ok. That's all. Thank-you.

I'm wondering how much you'd love it if you actually got to visit the plant where it's made. I'm guessing that Spam is everything that's left over on the conveyor belt. I highly recommend a film called "Food Inc." for a visit inside the food industry.

bbsam

Staff member
No thanks. We have a Kraft foods plant here (Oscar Mayer). We know how it's made. We just don't think about it and simply enjoy.

vantexan

MFE, you do realize when you enjoy a steak somewhere along the way a bull was doing the nasty with a cow? That's how it's made, LOL!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MFE, you do realize when you enjoy a steak somewhere along the way a bull was doing the nasty with a cow? That's how it's made, LOL!

I actually like Spam (and steak). But knowing Spam is basically ground-up lips, intestines and the rest is a bit unsettling. One of my favorite TV shows is "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern, and after watching him eat a live worm or chicken feet, Spam seems pretty tame.

vantexan

I actually like Spam (and steak). But knowing Spam is basically ground-up lips, intestines and the rest is a bit unsettling. One of my favorite TV shows is "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern, and after watching him eat a live worm or chicken feet, Spam seems pretty tame.

I like that show too. When I was 20 I dated a girl from Athens, Greece. She wasn't a fan of fast food, preferred traditional Greek dishes like sheep's head. Said the eyeballs were excellent!

FedExer267

Intresting conversation I to like spam and try not to think about how its made. Unfortunatley for me the Spam we eat is our steak because I work for Ground and can't afford real meat. I am thinking about upgrading to tongue for thanksgiving however I am sure it might taste a little like spam and then maybe next year I can actually afford a Turkey. I just wonder how it will go over with my kids but its ok I have plenty of top ramen to make them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Intresting conversation I to like spam and try not to think about how its made. Unfortunatley for me the Spam we eat is our steak because I work for Ground and can't afford real meat. I am thinking about upgrading to tongue for thanksgiving however I am sure it might taste a little like spam and then maybe next year I can actually afford a Turkey. I just wonder how it will go over with my kids but its ok I have plenty of top ramen to make them.

Fred recommends that you flip the SPAM can upside-down, and then fashion little drumsticks out of construction paper and tape them on the sides. You can stuff your "bird" with the Top Ramen and then tightly wrap the tongue to pretend that it's ham. Yummy!!

FedExer267

hahaha I will have to try that!!! Thanks Fred does that come from your cookbook how to keep your sweatshop workers nurished so they produce.

newgirl

Doesn't it suck when your Fetzer valve goes out and your spy satellite stops working? I have to use Google Earth when mine goes out but the obvious drawback to that is that it's not real-time imagery.

Many RTD's are PT because <looks around to make sure no one is listening and sweeps room for listening device> you only need most of them for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening. There's not that much work in the middle of the day for RTD's to do. But please, don't tell anyone that we actually schedule employees based on when the work needs to be done. If everyone finds out, they'll all start doing it.

Depends on where the RTD's are. The ones that work at ramps start very early, pull one or two pulls and then bring empties to the station or empties back to the ramp. Stations don't always get the right cans on the AM sort that they need on the PM sort. They can also be used for bypass bulk stops that the stations can't manage or for heavyweight PUD. Some ramps have enough work for more FT RTD's but choose to give part times over 30 hr s because they don't need them all of the time. Some RTD's don't care.

quadro

Depends on where the RTD's are. The ones that work at ramps start very early, pull one or two pulls and then bring empties to the station or empties back to the ramp. Stations don't always get the right cans on the AM sort that they need on the PM sort. They can also be used for bypass bulk stops that the stations can't manage or for heavyweight PUD. Some ramps have enough work for more FT RTD's but choose to give part times over 30 hr s because they don't need them all of the time. Some RTD's don't care.
Right, which is basically what I said. Many RTD's are part time because there isn't enough FT work for them. Unfortunately, MFE doesn't get that.

quadro

Your "facts" are mostly pro-company opinion. You seem like a bright individual, but don't seem to have any issues with the way FedEx does business. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.
There's that deflect strategy you like to use. How about showing all of us then, how to schedule employees so that they get 40 hours even when there's nothing to do. Too difficult? Ok, explain how increasing the number of employees and making them all PT saves FedEx money.

Are you blissful?

vantexan

Ok, explain how increasing the number of employees and making them all PT saves FedEx money.

Can FedEx actually force current FTers into PT status? I don't know that answer but they can certainly reduce our hours to eliminate OT. Obviously due to couriers being the single biggest employee group by far, the greatest impact they can make on profits is to reduce payroll expense. Do you agree with that? Do you agree that FedEx has done that in the past? Do you believe that they've done all they're ever going to do? What is most likely based on past events: FedEx is looking for ways to reduce costs through slow pay progression and benefit modification or elimination, OR FedEx is looking to pay more and enhance benefits?

quadro

Can FedEx actually force current FTers into PT status?
I don't think so. Not directly anyway. Theoretically, someone's position could get eliminated and if they don't want to move, the only position available might be PT. I seriously doubt that this could happen on a large scale so MFE's whole point about moving to a PT workforce isn't going to happen.
I don't know that answer but they can certainly reduce our hours to eliminate OT. Obviously due to couriers being the single biggest employee group by far, the greatest impact they can make on profits is to reduce payroll expense. Do you agree with that?
I agree that payroll expense is one of the largest expenses. It's not necessarily true that reducing payroll expenses will be the biggest savings. There are myriad of variables that would determine that.
Do you agree that FedEx has done that in the past?
Yes, FedEx is always looking to make sure the amount of hours paid fits the amount of work to do. That's not a bad thing.
Do you believe that they've done all they're ever going to do?
Not sure what you are referring to. Reducing hours?
What is most likely based on past events: FedEx is looking for ways to reduce costs through slow pay progression and benefit modification or elimination, OR FedEx is looking to pay more and enhance benefits?
FedEx (just like any business) will always look to reduce costs. How they go about it is big question. Well based on past events, there have been pay raises more years than not and those are fixed increases in costs so it's not as simple as you make it sound.

Don't misunderstand me. As I've said, I think the mid-range employees need to be taken care of. That could be done by shortening the top out window or reducing the top out pay. Obviously the former is the way it should go but you just never know. Anyway, my original point was in response to MFE who had said that FedEx would save money by going to an all PT workforce. I was pointing out that to do what we do today with all PT employees would increase the number of employees and therefore increase costs, not save money. Most businesses need FT employees and PT employees. The trick is finding the right balance to give people what they want and to be able to effectively and efficiently run a business.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There's that deflect strategy you like to use. How about showing all of us then, how to schedule employees so that they get 40 hours even when there's nothing to do. Too difficult? Ok, explain how increasing the number of employees and making them all PT saves FedEx money.

Are you blissful?

You're way too easy. Part-timers do not receive disability, nor overtime, and can be scheduled more or less to exactly fit FedEx needs. Since they probably have no seniority, they are also at the bottom of the 20-year wage progression. When they're needed for extra hours, FedEx specializes in pressuring them to comply..like at peak. Fred would love to have Express be all part-timers. If you want, I can keep right on going.