Is The Driving Test Administered Fairly

Hello:
I failed the 45-minute driving test today; I will survive, but I am very skeptical (after working for six years at UPS) that the test is graded the same for everyone. I was told by friends that passed the test that it was a very short test that was just to make sure you didn't drive crazy. The test I took was similar to getting your first drivers license; it would not have been that difficult but I have never driven a UPS truck and haven't used a clutch in 15-years. I was told after the test that they do not allow any practice before the test. I find it hard to believe that anyone could drive the truck smoothly by just jumping in it and driving off, which was what was expected of me....Any feedback would be appreciated. I should note that in my Northwest center there is several standards for everything from attendance to driver's helpers; it is certainly not consistent. Thank You

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I think a lot of it depends on the person giving the test and if its a center manager or an OC... I remember I had a lazy OC . test was no more than 5-6 minutes, I think he had a tee time to make. Who gave you the test? an on car supe or a Center manager?.

My first Road Test took just 15 minutes, that's just one step, later on I was given two more Road tests, so 3 in total, I had never seen that before.

box_beeyotch

I actually failed my first road test with one of the on car sups. About a year later I took it again with a different on car sup and passed. Ironically the second go around was the hardest of the two. I was allowed to practice as I parked the line up for a few months at night before I went into package car delivery.

PT Car Washer

A lot of times UPS decides ahead of time who they want for package car drivers. Could be physical appearances or if you are a Union trouble maker. Or your local hub or preload managers input. UPS will take all that into consideration.

UPSGUY72

Hello:
I failed the 45-minute driving test today; I will survive, but I am very skeptical (after working for six years at UPS) that the test is graded the same for everyone. I was told by friends that passed the test that it was a very short test that was just to make sure you didn't drive crazy. The test I took was similar to getting your first drivers license; it would not have been that difficult but I have never driven a UPS truck and haven't used a clutch in 15-years. I was told after the test that they do not allow any practice before the test. I find it hard to believe that anyone could drive the truck smoothly by just jumping in it and driving off, which was what was expected of me....Any feedback would be appreciated. I should note that in my Northwest center there is several standards for everything from attendance to driver's helpers; it is certainly not consistent. Thank You

What is fair is open to interpretation. What you think is fair and what someone else thinks is fair isn't the same. The length of a road test varies depending on how well you can control the vehicle. Many people have failed before getting out of the parking lot. Other like you are given considerable time to see if they can overcome the problems they where having controlling the vehicle. apparently you show little or no improvement during you driving test and or had some major problems driving a stick and the person given you the test made the decision that they didn't think you could safely operate the while performing the other job functions that a package car driver does.

You new you where going to take the test driving a stick don't you think you should have driven a stick before you took your road test to get familiar with driving one again???

Good luck next year.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The ups road test is exactly like the test when getting your drivers license. Some people just don't understand that is the way you are supposed to drive.

boxcrusher

Why do they still administer the test in a standard vehicle? The new trucks these days are automatic. When I took a road test they actually made me wait until a stick was available. Maybe ween the standard vehicles out and do tests in automatic? But that would make sense which is strictly prohibited by UPS