Is there any happiness with a job at UPS?

If there was no forced overtime you would see nearly every truck in my center parked in 8 hours.
All nineteen of your routes would be done, what about the other 97,000 routes out there? You can't use your center as the barometer, what you're offering is not the norm. You'd be amazed at how many guys would lose their :censored2: if they got a 40 hour check. It's cheaper to get 50 guys to work 9.3 and maybe another 20 to work 10.0 and pay the penalty than it is to pay 80 drivers 8 hours. That's just how it is and that's how the company is fiscally required to operate. Welcome to public holdings.

RangerMan06

All nineteen of your routes would be done, what about the other 97,000 routes out there? You can't use your center as the barometer, what you're offering is not the norm. You'd be amazed at how many guys would lose their :censored2: if they got a 40 hour check. It's cheaper to get 50 guys to work 9.3 and maybe another 20 to work 10.0 and pay the penalty than it is to pay 80 drivers 8 hours. That's just how it is and that's how the company is fiscally required to operate. Welcome to public holdings.
Just using your numbers as an example and not even factoring in penalty pay, it is nearly $4k more to use less drivers.
In your example you should also factor in most of the 9.3 days would get milked to 9.5. And some if not most of your 10 hour days would turn to 12s. Would amount to nearly $8k per day to run less routes in my estimation.

anonymous23456

Problem is I doubt they pass those savings on very often.
They have to pass some savings down because of competitions with other stores. However, I have a feeling that they have soft "collusion". Go to two different stores and compare breads...they are the same price really. I think the only way they can have price difference is store brands stuff.

Just using your numbers as an example and not even factoring in penalty pay, it is nearly $4k more to use less drivers.
In your example you should also factor in most of the 9.3 days would get milked to 9.5. And some if not most of your 10 hour days would turn to 12s. Would amount to nearly $8k per day to run less routes in my estimation.
And your math is based on hourly wages?

anonymous23456

How many irregulars do you deliver? That is the killer with "Two Men and a Truck". Or deliver stuff for IKEA. I had an old Mexican guy looking like 70 years old almost falling over with my heavy box.

Hourly and overtime. I guess I should factor in about $30 a day on a high average on fuel for each of the additional 10 routes. I'm assuming UPS doesn't need to hire any additional drivers in this example thus no need for any added benefits
Well, if you have drivers on layoff in some areas you're not paying medical. If you have a driver not on road you're not paying (about $13/hr here) into pension, comp insurance, payroll taxes, etc. There is a myriad of financial considerations for the company every hour. It doesn't just cost $40/hr to run a package car. You say fuel is $30/day, we have 230+ mile routes here. You incur maintenance costs beyond fuel, along with everything else.

Look man, I'd love to see more routes and every driver being honest, but you have to be a realist and understand the other side, even if you don't like it.

Manifesto

Yes if I have the rare opportunity to make it home and have dinner with my family I'll bust my ass. Take that away and I'm going to milk it. I'm sure it's that way with most every driver
For me it's not milking it. If I have a rare lighter type day I can keep high energy all day and get through it faster. Plus the package car is generally easier to get through and things go more smoothly. If I'm blown out with a heavy dispatch I lose the energy quicker and know I have to conserve it throughout the day to make sure I have some energy left for the end. It's simple really.

RangerMan06

Well, if you have drivers on layoff in some areas you're not paying medical. If you have a driver not on road you're not paying (about $13/hr here) into pension, comp insurance, payroll taxes, etc. There is a myriad of financial considerations for the company every hour. It doesn't just cost $40/hr to run a package car. You say fuel is $30/day, we have 230+ mile routes here. You incur maintenance costs beyond fuel, along with everything else.

Look man, I'd love to see more routes and every driver being honest, but you have to be a realist and understand the other side, even if you don't like it.
I'm sure there are numbers we are both not factoring in and we could argue back and forth all day on paid and unpaid benefits. I could also argue that if you ran more routes that it would be easier to dispatch therefore not needing as much corporate oversight and micro management eliminating multiple overpaid unnecessary corporate positions.The bottom line is UPS can afford to run more routes even "IF" it does cost some more money. It's time the union says workers lives are more important than profits.

I'm sure there are numbers we are both not factoring in and we could argue back and forth all day on paid and unpaid benefits. I could also argue that if you ran more routes that it would be easier to dispatch therefore not needing as much corporate oversight and micro management eliminating multiple overpaid unnecessary corporate positions.The bottom line is UPS can afford to run more routes even "IF" it does cost some more money. It's time the union says workers lives are more important than profits.
This isn't a nine to five job but on the other hand it should be a 9 to 9:00 job

Zowert

I get to wear shorts for a living. I drive around in a world famous truck in a two-door open cab during the summer. Sometimes I’ll let my left foot dangle out of the truck while I’m driving, ladies on the street will say, “ooh look at that cowboy!” Yeah, I don’t mind this job.