Is Union Knowledge Valued at UPS? ON TOPIC

PhatPattheRiverRat

Mods: Move to Union Issues if applicable.

I'm the kind of person who gets obsessed with a certain topic and fixates on it—I read everything I can get my hands on, and I mean everything. Lately, I have become really interested in the Teamsters and the history of labor relations between the Union and UPS.

Over the last few weeks here, read over past contracts, read all about Hoffa Sr/Jr., about Ron Carey and his strikes which led to the 97 contract victory (is this still seen one of the best contract victories ever?), and subsequent downfall. Hell, I even read back to the button disputes that took place in Chicago, which led to a battle with UPS banning button wearing and a Teamster response.

At work the other day, I was discussing some of the stuff I read with a few coworkers, asking them how they viewed the union. I was met with shrugs and a bit of head scratching. Sure, we aren't fulltimers, just p/t scrubs, but no one seems to care. Even my friends who are fulltime seem impressed and dumbfounded with what I know...because they didn't care to read or learn.

I think it is important to know about the past, to know what worked and what didn't—that is the only way the union will ever work for all of us, or benefit us like it could in the future. Am I wrong and naive? How do you guys view the union, and do your coworkers care about it? People sacrificed a ton in the past to make it stronger, seems almost disrespectful to pretend it doesn't exist as a fulltime member.

Brownbrigade1

I'm the kind of person who gets obsessed with a certain topic and fixates on it—I read everything I can get my hands on, and I mean everything. Lately, I have become really interested in the Teamsters and the history of labor relations between the Union and UPS.

Over the last few weeks here, read over past contracts, read all about Hoffa Sr/Jr., about Ron Carey and his strikes which led to the 97 contract victory (is this still seen one of the best contract victories ever?), and subsequent downfall. Hell, I even read back to the button disputes that took place in Chicago, which led to a battle with UPS banning button wearing and a Teamster response.

At work the other day, I was discussing some of the stuff I read with a few coworkers, asking them how they viewed the union. I was met with shrugs and a bit of head scratching. Sure, we aren't fulltimers, just p/t scrubs, but no one seems to care. Even my friends who are fulltime seem impressed and dumbfounded with what I know...because they didn't care to read or learn.

I think it is important to know about the past, to know what worked and what didn't—that is the only way the union will ever work for all of us, or benefit us like it could in the future. Am I wrong and naive? How do you guys view the union, and do your coworkers care about it? People sacrificed a ton in the past to make it stronger, seems almost disrespectful to pretend it doesn't exist as a fulltime member.

I agree 100%, it’s the same at my center, only some of the older guys are knowledgeable on Union history. I plan on running for steward after 2 years in. It’s up to us youngins to educate!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The only history you should be worried about is your current situation .
No way can you fight & win all the battles , you have to be selective and pick only the ones you have a chance of winning .
Only historians care about what happened before , just do your job and don't give management an excuse to single you out .

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, you're paying for the teamsters, so your fellow employees better band together when fighting some of those management ideas like the recent PVDS implementation.

Don't let them put a target on one's back, do it as a teamster group when filing grievances

Edit: W T friend, I'm not even a brownie teamster!

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Fall of 76.
It was not a nation wide strike , since NY was working under a separate contract.
Out for 15 weeks.
Across from Watertown Ma building there is an asphalt plant who kept their raw materials in the open. The local news had pictures of people who were allowed to pick up there parcels using the entrance where the line was set up . Unfortunately as they were leaving those raw materials ( stones ) were being throw at them . Also shown were the 24 hr police details to stop this behavior .
As weeks went on I heard it was so quiet that the cops were paying for pizzas for the guys on the line.
The USPS had shut down there parcel handling service in Boston just a few months prior . All of a sudden they had full TT loads show up . It was scramble for them to hire enough to fill a shift , they went to 10 hr/day at 7 days /week shifts and still could not handle to load .
Also it should be noted that this quarter was the first time USPS showed a profit .

oldupsman

I agree 100%, it’s the same at my center, only some of the older guys are knowledgeable on Union history. I plan on running for steward after 2 years in. It’s up to us youngins to educate!!
just do your job and don't give management an excuse to single you out .
Don't let them put a target on one's back, do it as a teamster group when filing grievances

Here's a little tip we used when filing group grievances. At first when a guy filed a group grievance he would be the first one
to sign it. So management would know he was the leader of the rebellion and harass the hell out of him. So to combat that
tactic, whenever we filed a group grievance we would draw a circle with lines through it and each guy would sign a line. They
couldn't tell who came up with the grievance. Man, that used to really piss them off.

Brownbrigade1

just do your job and don't give management an excuse to single you out .

Here's a little tip we used when filing group grievances. At first when a guy filed a group grievance he would be the first one
to sign it. So management would know he was the leader of the rebellion and harass the hell out of him. So to combat that
tactic, whenever we filed a group grievance we would draw a circle with lines through it and each guy would sign a line. They
couldn't tell who came up with the grievance. Man, that used to really piss them off.

I’m screenshotting that for future reference

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I would suggest you read what did not work for the Unions as well.
Unions are in the shape they are for many reasons.
In order for Unions (Collective Bargaining) to be successful, they must adapt to the current world and not repeat the failures of the past.
The Teamsters is only successful because of UPS.
Why is that?
Primarily because UPS is everywhere in the USA and it is a service industry.
UPS cannot outsource or move to another state or country.

IESucks

Week and nonexistent in my area. Communicating with them is like looking for customer service at walmart

Last edited by a moderator:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The only group grievance I have been a remote part in was related to our $15/h pay raise (promised on the 15th but implemented 1 week later, Everyone was given a check for the difference.)
Grieving as an individual is completely fine but some people can't get into the headspace required to fend off the target on their back.

In part time preload, being targeted simply means not giving two :censored2: about anything other than what you were directed to do and anything that is a safety concern. No apologies will be given to any coworker with any amount of years for ignoring their tip/complaint #11 on the job until that target is taken off my back. This is where my "don't care about UPS" banter comes from. It is not how anyone should ever think naturally coming into work every day, but it is how I cope (especially these past two weeks) with being targeting for my recent grievance and another issue that had occured at work.

Last edited: