Isaac

MississippiMom

I'm just up the road from Gulfport in Laurel. I'm sorta wondering why anyone's waiting until the last minute to let us know one way or the other if the storm's coming through and whether things will be shut down. I don't want to be on my way in for preload only to get there after a 20 minute drive and find out that no, we didn't have to come in that day.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
They are looking at / predicting landfall on Wednesday.

The path of Isaac is uncertain.

Plan for the unexpected and pray this storm dies in the Gulf.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you live in Gulfport MS, and your area receives warning of a state of emergency for your local town/county/parish, you owe it to the other citizens, utilities, public workers and emergency vehicles, to "stay home "(or evacuate, of course).

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wish you the best of luck. I go to Gulf Port to gamble and that's about it. Probably won't be heading back since NC Harrahs is going to have table games now.

upser92

I have a background in meteorology, what is the question? Sorry, missed it.

Nice to meet someone on here who does as well. As for this hurricane, no way will any businesses be running between New Orleans and Pensacola. This will be a strengthening hurricane which means it will have gusts much stronger than it's wind speeds at time and it will not be a consistent wind either. This thing will undergo rapid intensification tomorrow though as it seems to have organized better and has handled the dry air problem.

If you live in anywhere from Mobile to New Orleans get out soon and board up! It's almost a lock that you'll see a 10+' storm surge, winds in excess of 90 mph and since it's a slow mover those winds will have a very long time to work on infrastructure and flooding will be catastrophic. This is gonna be bad people

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Nice to meet someone on here who does as well. As for this hurricane, no way will any businesses be running between New Orleans and Pensacola. This will be a strengthening hurricane which means it will have gusts much stronger than it's wind speeds at time and it will not be a consistent wind either. This thing will undergo rapid intensification tomorrow though as it seems to have organized better and has handled the dry air problem.

If you live in anywhere from Mobile to New Orleans get out soon and board up! It's almost a lock that you'll see a 10+' storm surge, winds in excess of 90 mph and since it's a slow mover those winds will have a very long time to work on infrastructure and flooding will be catastrophic. This is gonna be bad people

Wind does not kill.
Water kills.

texan

Wind does not kill.
Water kills.
So true.

When it comes to hurricanes, wind speeds do not tell the whole story. Hurricanes
produce storm surges, tornadoes, and often the most deadly of all -- inland
flooding.
While storm surge is always a potential threat, more people have died from
inland flooding in the last 30 years. Intense rainfall is not directly related
to the wind speed of tropical cyclones. In fact, some of the greatest rainfall
amounts occur from weaker storms that drift slowly or stall over an area.

OHD/HL - Hurricane

upsman68

It's a Category 1 for goodness sakes. A lot of wind and a lot of rain. Minimal damage.

I hope you are trying to be funny because we had a tropical storm named Allison in 2001 that cause widespread flooding and tons of damage. Every storm has some type of danger. They should not be taken lightly. Flash flooding is very dangerous and it happens a lot down here in Texas. If you are in your car water can engulf your car in a matter of minutes and then you are in a lot of trouble

DownSouthUPS

We are staying thru it in my house. We are a good 6 miles from the coast and not in a flood zone. Been thru plenty of em so we know what too expect. Just first time being in one as a home owner is very nerve racking!!

People fail to grasp the power of water. They get a splash on their face and think thats all it is. Water is 8lbs or so a gallon. Multiply that by gallons to the 10th power and then throw in the kinetic energy of a wave and NOTHING will stand up to the biggest waves.

Quit trying to be heros, get the appropriate insurance, and get the heck out.