It Feels So Wrong It Has to Be Right

Box Ox

So I just finished writing 19 supervisors working grievances that I accumulated records for over the past 5 days. 5 days, 19 supervisors working. 25.67 hours worth of supervisors working. At double my pay rate, that's $1,000. Took me all of an hour to file those grievances. Thus making my effective pay rate $1,000 an hour.

The old preload manager thought I was "raping" the company with grievances back before it all went straight down the :censored2:ter like it's going now...I wonder what he would think if he saw how bad I was "raping" the company now?

Outstanding. Nothing like a good old-fashioned metaphorical supervisor skull:censored2:ing when they think they can get away with “raping” the Contract the Company agreed to operate under.

Superteeth2478

Just wondering and I know I'll probably get hosed for this, but instead of being greedy and keeping that money for yourself, why not give it to the hourlies who were sent home everyday with no pay?
Yeah, as soon as they begin to stand up for the rights I've already educated them on, and stop seeing supervisors working as "helping" them.

Couldn't agree more. Need to educate the people who are being sent home to demand work, then grieve their loss of work. If we have a whole workforce that is first willing to work every day and second makes UPS pay every time they don't work us and we are in it together, then finally we will have the strength and unity to drive our own future. Tired of solo hunters. BTW supervisors don't want to work, it's the managers who don't want their labor hours to look "bad"
See above. I am the steward, and I educate people on their guarantee and their right to grieve supervisors working. They don't want to file against their supervisors because they think they're "helping" them and they don't want to be ":censored2:s". I know the part-time supervisors don't want to work.

Technically, the hourly's that are sent home.... would be entitled to the grievance

settlement. The actual grievant would only be entitled if no person affected could

be identified as being directly at a loss.
Thank God that's not how it works at my local, although that is the language. It would do nothing to encourage people to file supervisors working grievances. It makes no sense to give the money to the hourlies who refuse to stand up for their rights. I mean seriously, if the ones who are getting sent home give a crap they would hang around off the clock and kick the supervisors' asses themselves. But they don't, because a lot would rather have the day off anyways.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
94555e6f9f54d10c136519f3e3f0b1d7.jpg

WTFm8

Just wondering and I know I'll probably get hosed for this, but instead of being greedy and keeping that money for yourself, why not give it to the hourlies who were sent home everyday with no pay?

Because they fail to use the MOU at the end of the National and get their 3-3.5hr guarantee for reporting... by fault of the steward.

Steward should be filing group grievances for any reporting to work/on seniority list as well.

Superteeth2478

I’ll bet your popular. Lol.
You're right about that. Tons of management folks hate me, mostly full-time supervisors. I'm not as sure about the part-time supervisors. Some SEEM to like me. It's hard to tell. That said, I know there are a couple of hourlies that hate me, too. Including a high-seniority ex-steward who thinks it's wrong for me to file so many supervisors working grievances (yeah, I don't get it, either). There are other hourlies who think I'm a jerk for filing supervisors working grievances, too. Whatever. When supervisors tell me that what I'm doing isn't popular with some hourlies I tell them "Well, I sure am glad a stewardship isn't a popularity contest!" That said, like I said in another post the majority of hourlies know I have a reason for everything I do and that quite frankly I'm probably the most bad-ass steward in the building and the one you want on your side when you're in trouble.

RolloTony Brown Town

Yeah, as soon as they begin to stand up for the rights I've already educated them on, and stop seeing supervisors working as "helping" them.

See above. I am the steward, and I educate people on their guarantee and their right to grieve supervisors working. They don't want to file against their supervisors because they think they're "helping" them and they don't want to be ":censored2:s". I know the part-time supervisors don't want to work.

Thank God that's not how it works at my local, although that is the language. It would do nothing to encourage people to file supervisors working grievances. It makes no sense to give the money to the hourlies who refuse to stand up for their rights. I mean seriously, if the ones who are getting sent home give a crap they would hang around off the clock and kick the supervisors' asses themselves. But they don't, because a lot would rather have the day off anyways.

You sound like a selfish steward. When you’re sent home you aren’t supposed to “hang around.” It’s your job to protect those members. Enjoy your penalty pay though.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Tons of management folks hate me, mostly full-time supervisors. I'm not as sure about the part-time supervisors. Some SEEM to like me. It's hard to tell.

You shouldn't care if they like you.... they should respect you.... by virtue

of your position as a Union Steward.

That said, I know there are a couple of hourlies that hate me, too. Including a high-seniority ex-steward who thinks it's wrong for me to file so many supervisors working grievances (yeah, I don't get it, either). There are other hourlies who think I'm a jerk for filing supervisors working grievances, too.

There will always be other hourly Teamsters, that won't like you either.

"The difference between a brown-nose and a kiss-ass, is depth perception."

Like I said in another post the majority of hourlies know I have a reason for everything I do and that quite frankly I'm probably the most bad-ass steward in the building and the one you want on your side when you're in trouble.

Confidence, is a good thing.

Wait until those other co-workers need your help. (and they will)

Treat them just like any other person.

Show them, that your concern is for the members.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You sound like a selfish steward.

No.

He's a Steward, performing the job of a Steward.... and upholding the contract.

When you’re sent home you aren’t supposed to “hang around.”

Say's who ?

If a Steward reasonably contemplates contract violations are occurring, he can

"hang around" and investigate, and be paid "for all time spent".

@RolloTony Brown Town

Familiarizing yourself with Article 4 of the Master.... could help.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-

RolloTony Brown Town

No.

He's a Steward, performing the job of a Steward.... and upholding the contract.

Say's who ?

If a Steward reasonably contemplates contract violations are occurring, he can

"hang around" and investigate, and be paid "for all time spent".

@RolloTony Brown Town

Familiarizing yourself with Article 4 of the Master.... could help.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-

As a steward he can file for all affected employees instead of reaping the benefits himself, could he not? Hence he’s being selfish.

I’m not debating the contract. If the sups are working then it’s a violation and file. That’s why the process is there.