It Feels So Wrong It Has to Be Right

Superteeth2478

Protect them how? If they're instructed to punch out I can't countermand that order. Work as instructed first, grieve later. What the hell do you know about being a steward? Selfish? Do you know I'm settling everyone else's supervisors working grievances (because I'm actually greatly increasing involvement among the membership) before mine, and I have a backlog of about 250 of my own supervisors working grievances, a backlog that grows every day. Maybe you shouldn't speak on subjects you know nothing about.

Superteeth2478

As a steward he can file for all affected employees instead of reaping the benefits himself, could he not? Hence he’s being selfish.

I’m not debating the contract. If the sups are working then it’s a violation and file. That’s why the process is there.
Yeah, great idea bub. Let's make it to where people whose testicles haven't descended get paid for grievances that proper union members who enforce the contract file so that we can increase apathy in the union. People will think "Hey, I'm getting paid without the target on my back, why should I file myself?" At least what I'm doing (along with telling people how much I'm making and encouraging people to make their money too and enforce the contract on the side) is increasing participation. And that's no small feat. It's amazingly difficult to increase participation in union activities in general. What have you done for your local?

Superteeth2478

You shouldn't care if they like you.... they should respect you.... by virtue

of your position as a Union Steward.

There will always be other hourly Teamsters, that won't like you either.

"The difference between a brown-nose and a kiss-ass, is depth perception."

Confidence, is a good thing.

Wait until those other co-workers need your help. (and they will)

Treat them just like any other person.

Show them, that your concern is for the members.

-Bug-

I don't care what anyone thinks of me, let alone management. I don't know if they respect me, but they certainly fear me, which is a form of respect, I guess. Yeah, I do still treat the naysayers in the ranks of the hourlies the same. They just feel stupid when they see I'm more professional than them when it comes to doing a job.

Boston25

I don't care what anyone thinks of me, let alone management. I don't know if they respect me, but they certainly fear me, which is a form of respect, I guess. Yeah, I do still treat the naysayers in the ranks of the hourlies the same. They just feel stupid when they see I'm more professional than them when it comes to doing a job.
I agree 100% that's how o feel as a steward as well. I always tell everyone I'm not there to make friends. I file all affected grievances and the guys that have balls to write they witness it get paid.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You shouldn't care if they like you.... they should respect you.... by virtue

of your position as a Union Steward.

There will always be other hourly Teamsters, that won't like you either.

"The difference between a brown-nose and a kiss-ass, is depth perception."

Confidence, is a good thing.

Wait until those other co-workers need your help. (and they will)

Treat them just like any other person.

Show them, that your concern is for the members.

-Bug-

Should he also talk down to them and tell them they aren’t real teamsters

Like you do?

bumped

I used to have a part time supervisor that would tell me the hours he had done union work so I could grieve it. The part time sups don't want to be moving packages around.

WorkingAsDirected

So I just finished writing 19 supervisors working grievances that I accumulated records for over the past 5 days. 5 days, 19 supervisors working. 25.67 hours worth of supervisors working. At double my pay rate, that's $1,000. Took me all of an hour to file those grievances. Thus making my effective pay rate $1,000 an hour.

That's more than I make in 2.5 weeks of working part-time. And they're literally laying off a good 10-15 people MINIMUM every single day. The violations are so blatant now that they send home most of the hourlies on the metro I, the steward known to be the king of supervisors working grievances, work on, and the supervisors continue to work right in front of me.

The old preload manager thought I was "raping" the company with grievances back before it all went straight down the :censored2:ter like it's going now...I wonder what he would think if he saw how bad I was "raping" the company now?

I have written up hundreds and hundreds of supervisors working grievances. My BA gets them settled at about 60% with me insisting that I get paid in full. I still have grievances that are over 3 years old that haven't been heard yet.

lolbr

Technically, the hourly's that are sent home.... would be entitled to the grievance

settlement. The actual grievant would only be entitled if no person affected could

be identified as being directly at a loss.
I agree the penalty pay should go to those affected by the loss of hours. But, if none of the "affected employees" are willing to file (even after the steward had discussed it with them), it should go to the one "unaffected employee" that did file. That unaffected employee is still losing out as UPS doesn't pay into the pension when a supervisor works.

WorkingAsDirected

I agree the penalty pay should go to those affected by the loss of hours. But, if none of the "affected employees" are willing to file (even after the steward had discussed it with them), it should go to the one "unaffected employee" that did file. That unaffected employee is still losing out as UPS doesn't pay into the pension when a supervisor works.

I once filled on multiple supervisors working and a steward also filed on the same supervisors as well. The BA said that the steward will get the grievances and give checks to members that don't file so that they will be encouraged to file in the future.

Superteeth2478

Yeah, I'd be at a little more than $10,000 if each of my grievances were paid at triple-time rate.
Just finished writing the grievances for the past 5 working days. $750 for 19 grievances. My full-time supervisor wrote me up for three things two days ago, which were patently ridiculous things (long story shortened for each of them). One for insubordination for not immediately going to load an area while I was helping out another belt with sorting smalls in the pick station, and one for jogging to my pick station after break ended (really issued under the directive of the center manager of the center where I work). The last one is the most ridiculous...

I got written up for leaving my pick station to take a piss because my part-time supervisor wouldn't find someone to relieve me after I asked him twice to do so. So I said I'll turn the belt off and go to the restroom if he didn't get someone to cover me. He still didn't listen, so I did what I said I would. I was gone for literally about 3 minutes and my full-time supervisor was picking when I got back. He angrily asked if I had abandoned my work area. I said that I had not, I had asked to be relieved twice and was not given someone to replace me, so I said I would turn the belt off and leave if I was not relieved and had to do just that. He said that I was not to leave my area without permission to do so. I said it wasn't kindergarten and I didn't need permission to use the bathroom. And he said he would write me up for it.

And he did two days ago, along with all the other discipline I referenced above. So I'm going to go in to work tomorrow, show him the grievances, tell him how much they're worth, and tell him "Look at how much you intimidate me."