It's been 92 years

Big Babooba

Ninety-two years ago, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the guns fell silent as the armistice took effect. The "War to End All Wars" was essentially over. Every November 11th since then we have set aside this day to honor those who have served our country. The holiday was first called Armistice Day. It was changed to Veterans Day in 1954.

Set aside a moment or two to honor those who have served our country. I know that I am. I'm also setting aside a special moment to honor two veterans from the neighborhood that I grew up in, two Doughboys, Mr D and his brother Tom.

There are very few people in the neighborhood now that would remember Mr D. Nobody would remember Tom. Mr D came back from the war suffering from shell shock. Short in stature, he would walk though the neighborhood with short, purposeful steps. A kinder, gentler man you would never meet. His brother Tom never made it back.

I will pay homage. I know that we have Memorial Day to honor those who have died while in service to our country, but I believe that because they fought "The War to End All Wars", they and their comrades should be remembered on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

slantnosechevy

I'll drink to that. My grandfather was less than a mile from that railroad car that they signed the armistice in. I was just looking through some of the stuff he brought back. Some of it belonged to friends who didn't make it back. Some of it (12 Iron Crosses) belonged to unlucky Germans who crossed his path. Here's to ya Sarge and the rest of Blackjack's boys of the A.E.friend.

satellitedriver

Amen.
My grandfather was one of these men. Hard hat diving instructor in 1917. Retired from the Navy in 1930 and was recalled to supervise ammunition loading onto ships in WWII.
His GGG grandfather fought in the Revolutionary war.
His G grandson was one of the first Marines to go into Baghdad.
I have undying respect, and admiration, for those that served in the past.
My respect extends to those that serve today.

bellesmom

I am honoring my husband (Viet Nam), his father (WWII), grandfather (WWI), Great Grandfathers 2 (Civil War) Uncle (Korea) and our son (Operation Iraqi Freedom)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America, for the amount of and up to including my life."

raceanoncr

I am honoring my husband (Viet Nam), his father (WWII), grandfather (WWI), Great Grandfathers 2 (Civil War) Uncle (Korea) and our son (Operation Iraqi Freedom)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America, for the amount of and up to including my life."

A salute to you and all your brave relatives for all you and they have done.

And thanks to Big for starting a thread as this.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Beautiful Quote

I will be making my second visit to the WWII museum in New Orleans in a few weeks.
I have a box in my closet with the metals and ribbons of my father and letters to his mom and dad.

This precious box also holds letters from Karl, a Desert Storm Vet, and a cassette from his group talking to me and my roommate, my sister, First Sergeant with the 84th Division.

As I work with Vets, because it is my passion, we discuss life, love and freedom.
I was told by one smart man, a WWI Vet, "This is America and we have unwritten rules", as he took the box of Kleenex from my hands, "a man is allowed to cry when his children are born, his daughter gets married, his grandchildren are born, his wife is buried ...".

I started to cry and never heard the remainder of his statement.

Looking at the letter's from Karl, sent from Kuwait, I wonder, how much history will be lost when we stop saving letters.
How much of WWI, WWII, Korea, Nam, Beirut, Desert Storm, and the Civil War, would have been lost with out these lifelines from home and the front?

You can't spritz cologne on email.
You can't seal an email with a real red lipstick kiss.
A letter is something touched, real and tangent.
From my hands and heart to you and back.

God Bless

And God Bless the families of Our Soldiers.

Keep them all safe and NEVER forget.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A quick thank you and respects, to all men and women whom served and proved to be brave and noble in peaceful times and war.

My great uncle ( grandfathers brother) was a Major General, Superintendent of West Point and earned a silver star in WWI @ St. Mihiel. My father retired a Col. and served in the gulf war.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Beautiful Quote

I will be making my second visit to the WWII museum in New Orleans in a few weeks.
I have a box in my closet with the metals and ribbons of my father and letters to his mom and dad.

This precious box also holds letters from Karl, a Desert Storm Vet, and a cassette from his group talking to me and my roommate, my sister, First Sergeant with the 84th Division.

As I work with Vets, because it is my passion, we discuss life, love and freedom.
I was told by one smart man, a WWI Vet, "This is America and we have unwritten rules", as he took the box of Kleenex from my hands, "a man is allowed to cry when his children are born, his daughter gets married, his grandchildren are born, his wife is buried ...".[/I]

I started to cry and never heard the remainder of his statement.

Looking at the letter's from Karl, sent from Kuwait, I wonder, how much history will be lost when we stop saving letters.
How much of WWI, WWII, Korea, Nam, Beirut, Desert Storm, and the Civil War, would have been lost with out these lifelines from home and the front?

You can't spritz cologne on email.
You can't seal an email with a real red lipstick kiss.
A letter is something touched, real and tangent.
From my hands and heart to you and back.

God Bless

And God Bless the families of Our Soldiers.

Keep them all safe and NEVER forget.