I've noticed that most drivers don't own premium cars that they can afford. Why?

Why do you drive much less than you can afford?

• Just don't wanna appear flashy or showing off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to appear as an everyday blue (brown?) collar worker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have different priorities than nice cars

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I have a big family so the money isn't as much as it seems

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Hey, I'm one of the one's with a luxury car. Gotta problem w/ that?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No, we won't be getting 50 mpg with a Suburban sized vehicle with internal combustion at all at any time in the forseeable future. (If gallons of "fuel" are even applicable).

:peaceful:

purplesky

And by 2000, we'll have flying cars....

Trust me, I know all about these new CAFE standard regulations. Passed by politicians who know absolutely nothing about engineering. It's really quite ridiculous.

You really think in just 2 redesigns, that the Suburban can go from like 13 MPG to 50 MPG? And remember that automakers usually run engines for 2-3 car generations because of the massive cost in developing new engines. So typically, the engine in today's Suburban could still be used 10 years from now.

For such an efficiency hike, it would have to be a hybrid with a battery the size of a freaking Corolla under the floor.

Think about it, Toyota does everything they can to squeeze 50 MPG out of a Prius. And Toyota has stated that the next Prius' goal is 55 MPG and that they are having a really hard time beating their own record. So we'll likely see a PRIUS at 55 MPG through 2019. A Prius! How the hell are entire fleets filled with trucks and SUV's supposed to average about that a few short years after that???????????

NOT going to happen. Just wait and see. Bureaucrats just can't create arbitrary numbers and dictate that engineers have to miraculously meet them.

Toyota is getting 39mpg highway with its hybrid highlander suv in 2013. In 10 years they can easily get 50mpg on the highway.

Everybody said the same thing about cars getting todays MPGs 10 years ago. Its amazing what the Subaru Forester gets on the highway(about 35mpg?) as an all wheel drive SUV.

Nissans 2014 Pathfinder gets 27 on the highway?

I think we are going to see huge mpg improvements on suvs in 10 to 15 years. Somebody will pull it off.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Hybrid technology has boosted MPG with comparable vehicles at an initial economic cost, but MPG ratings have turned out to be inflated. Regenerative braking is a great way to recover energy that would otherwise be wasted. Check current F1 tech with the Kinetic Energy Recovery System. Aerodynamics is another area where F1 is at the cutting edge. No improvements in combustion tech, though.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Hybrid technology has boosted MPG with comparable vehicles at an initial economic cost, but MPG ratings have turned out to be inflated. Regenerative braking is a great way to recover energy that would otherwise be wasted. Check current F1 tech with the Kinetic Energy Recovery System. Aerodynamics is another area where F1 is at the cutting edge. No improvements in combustion tech, though.

Talk to Jackburton about his hydraulic hybrid.:happy-very:

purplesky

Keep in mind I'm just making realistic arguments.

I'm a huge fan of fuel efficiency. One of my favorite cars is the widely hated Prius. And I drive a Yaris mostly for it's fuel efficiency (and reliability).

I bought the Yaris in 2008 when it was the most fuel efficient vehicle aside from the Prius available in the US. That's why I bought it.

Purplesky, what do you drive. :happy-very:

I am also just making arguments and you are correct that a 50mph Surburban will be tough to make in 10 years but I really think the technology is already here and will be used in 10 to 15 years.

I drive a 305hp Turbo Subaru. Its quick and great in the snow and rain but my MPGs suck. I live very close to work so my gas costs are low.

If I had a real work commute I would buy a really fuel efficient car as a daily driver.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I am also just making arguments and you are correct that a 50mph Surburban will be tough to make in 10 years but I really think the technology is already here and will be used in 10 to 15 years.

I drive a 305hp Turbo Subaru. Its quick and great in the snow and rain but my MPGs suck. I live very close to work so my gas costs are low.

If I had a real work commute I would buy a really fuel efficient car as a daily driver.

NAAH! WRX's are faster than hell. Live it up in short periods,

bbsam

Staff member
No, we won't be getting 50 mpg with a Suburban sized vehicle with internal combustion at all at any time in the forseeable future. (If gallons of "fuel" are even applicable).

:peaceful:

Really? Haven't you heard about the 100mpg carburetor a guy invented years ago? ;)

bbsam

Staff member
Also in the aerodynamic discussion is that flashy is often anything but aerodynamic. The superbikes of the late fifties and early sixties were far nor aerodynamic than the crotch rockets commonly desired by the Joe rocket types.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Also in the aerodynamic discussion is that flashy is often anything but aerodynamic. The superbikes of the late fifties and early sixties were far nor aerodynamic than the crotch rockets commonly desired by the Joe rocket types.

I believe those type of bikes(which were banned after a while) were referred to as "Dustbins".

A

anonymous6

with me it comes down to the math. a new car loses a lot of value as soon as it leaves the lot. it loses 40-50 value after just 3 years. a brand new Subaru costs about 28 thousand plus sales tax of over 2 thousand etc. a 3-4 year old Subie will be half that and just barely broke in as these cars easily go 300 thousand miles with proper maintenance.

also insurance cost a lot more on new cars compared to older. I only pay about 450 a year for full coverage on my older Subaru. i'd rather put all these savings in my 401k than try to look good.

BrownArmy

I drive a 1984 Toyota with over 350K on the clock...I maintain it myself and it runs like a top.

Why would I buy a new car, I already have my dream car!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Speaking for myself: I work very hard for my money and I want my money to work hard for me. A car is the WORST investment one can make. Why would I want to throw away a large sum of money on something that will lose at least HALF its value when it's driven off the lot when instead I could invest that cash and have that money MAKE money?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It doesn't have to be new but it is nice to have something you enjoy.
I enjoy the numbers in my investment accounts that give me a relatively stress free existence (in regards to financial concerns).
I also enjoy the lack of things that complicate my life and cause me to be concerned about their well-being.
Houses tend to cause me the most stress with upkeep and maintenance.
My cat concerns me at times with his ailments.
My wife's driving stresses me out ... I try not to spend much time in a car with her.