I've noticed that most drivers don't own premium cars that they can afford. Why?

Why do you drive much less than you can afford?

• Just don't wanna appear flashy or showing off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to appear as an everyday blue (brown?) collar worker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have different priorities than nice cars

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I have a big family so the money isn't as much as it seems

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Hey, I'm one of the one's with a luxury car. Gotta problem w/ that?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
S

serenity now

To the OP: When you do get that 2017 Camry........

I hope it keeps you warm at night, takes care of you when you're (notice correct usage) sick, and cheers you up when you're feeling down.

JL 0513

To the OP: When you do get that 2017 Camry........

I hope it keeps you warm at night, takes care of you when you're (notice correct usage) sick, and cheers you up when you're feeling down.

Perhaps the best selling car in the country is too fancy....

Anyway, I think you're implying the love for cars thing and how loving things is silly. Well, that has nothing to do with it. I am married. I'm not looking to be married to things.

S

serenity now

It's a machine made of metal, glass, rubber, and cloth. It will get dirty. People will open doors onto it. Kids will spill juice on the upholstery. It will need repairs; it will depreciate in value.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If it runs well, gets good gas mileage, has airbags, and a decent stereo and air conditioning, its good enough for me. If you are the kind of person who would judge me based upon how much I spent on my car, you are also the kind of person whose opinion I dont give a :censored2: about in the first place.

Bill9550

I just became a full time driver and waiting to start my packet. Do you know what is the starting pay for a full time driver is? I know the starting pay for a tcd is around $27

purplesky

It actually sounds like the improved FUEL EFFICIENCY OF THE NEW CARS PURCHASED MADE CASH FOR CLUNKERS A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM.:wink2:

I REMEMBER ALL THE REPUPLICANS BITCHING ABOUT OBAMA TRYING TO FORCE BETTER MPGs ON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. I AM GLAD OBAMA PUSHED( IS STILL PUSHING) AMERICA FOR BETTER MPGs ON NEW VEHICLES.
Here are some statistics from the Department of Transportation’s CARS Report to Congress:

• 677,842 vehicles were turned in under the CARS program
  • $2.85 Billion was paid out in rebates for these vehicles
  • New vehicles purchased had an average MPG of 24.9
  • Old vehicles turned in had an average MPG of 15.7
  • $2.8 Billion in fuel savings based on the early retirement of less efficient vehicles
The report also estimates that roughly half of the sales spurred by the program were incremental sales that would not have occurred otherwise. Edmunds.com performed a more conservative analysis showing that only 125,000 incremental sales occurred as a result of the program.
Using Edmunds’ more conservative 125k number, and an average sales price (after rebate) of roughly $25,000, Cash for Clunkers generated $3.125 Billion in incremental vehicle sales. These incremental sales added directly to US GDP, and this more conservative analysis shows less than half the economic impact of $7 Billion estimated by DOT.
Combining the fuel savings and GDP benefit yields a total benefit to American taxpayers of roughly $6 Billion for a program that cost the government roughly $3 Billion to operate! If only more government programs could fail like this! Even using the more conservative fuel savings calculations provided below, the program would have provided over $5.5 Billion in benefit against a $3B investment. Far from being shut down, the Cash for Clunkers program should have been expanded.

purplesky

I guess anything from a right wing nut website will not give Obama credit for improving MPGs on new cars in America.

Every year new cars get BETTER MPGs and Obama gets some credit for it. BUT SINCE ITS OBAMA AND YOU ARE A HATER YOU WILL NEVER GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR HELPING AMERICA ON ANY LEVEL.

Next time you buy or lease a new car just remember THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA IS SAVING YOU MONEY AT THE PUMP.:wink2:

I bet you were one of the Republicans that hated on Obama and SAID WE DONT NEED THE GOVERNMENT TELLING US THAT WE NEED MORE FUEL EFFICIENT CARS TO HELP REDUCE OUR FOREIGN OIL DEPENDENCY AND HELP THE ENVIRONMENT MID TO LONG TERM.

I guess thats FOX NEWS FREEDOM!:funny: We would all still be driving Hummers and big SUVs if the Republicans had their way.

JL 0513

I guess anything from a right wing nut website will not give Obama credit for improving MPGs on new cars in America.

Every year new cars get BETTER MPGs and Obama gets some credit for it. BUT SINCE ITS OBAMA AND YOU ARE A HATER YOU WILL NEVER GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR HELPING AMERICA ON ANY LEVEL.

Next time you buy or lease a new car just remember THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA IS SAVING YOU MONEY AT THE PUMP.:wink2:

I bet you were one of the Republicans that hated on Obama and SAID WE DONT NEED THE GOVERNMENT TELLING US THAT WE NEED MORE FUEL EFFICIENT CARS TO HELP REDUCE OUR FOREIGN OIL DEPENDENCY AND HELP THE ENVIRONMENT MID TO LONG TERM.

I guess thats FOX NEWS FREEDOM!:funny: We would all still be driving Hummers and big SUVs if the Republicans had their way.

Sorry, but you don't really know what you're talking about. Obama has very little to do with vehicle fuel economy.

Did Obama push for the creation of the Toyota Prius introduced in Japan in 1997? Which lead to a huge success in the US with its 50 MPG rating that other automakers have been trying to catch for years. Heck, Obama had zero to do with GM's Chevy Volt which was in development long before he became President.

Automakers are making big gains in fuel efficiency largely because of the price of fuel. When gas was $1-$2/gal, there was little incentive to increase efficiency. Now it's a steady $3-$4/gal. One could argue that Obama has something to do with these prices, thus making him partly responsible for fuel efficient cars.

Customers are demanding higher efficiency. So it's competition among automakers that is driving fuel efficiency.

The one major influence the Feds have is CAFE standards. But mainly what this does is manipulate the offerings by automakers that the market may not desire. You'll see them build low volume niche vehicles (like electrics) that helps their fleet average. You'll also see the death of full size SUV's that a lot of customers still want but no longer have the choice. 10 years from now, you may not be able to buy a Suburban for example even though there would be a market for it (large family hauler that can tow a boat).

Automakers build cars for the world market that already demand fuel efficiency. US CAFE standards aren't going to improve efficiency single handily.

If your argument is to say that Obama has increased American brands fuel efficiency, that's just not accurate as well. American companies have an interest in staying in business. If they're going to compete with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan's fuel efficiency, then they'd have to make the gains they have in the last several years. Or they'd be left rotting on dealer lots.