July 10th contract teleforum call

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Sorta like a public release game beta. If there’s anything wrong with it, the excuse is that it’s pre-release. But it’s still the same :censored2: that’s put out in its final form the next month. The excuse was just used so more folks would buy it.
They dangled money like a carrot

F

Frankie's Friend

Haven't heard a peep from our BA or Head steward about anything. Everyone comes to me about what little information I've read about the contract from @Tony Q and other "leaks"
Few are talking about true info because of the backlash and punishment from powers that be.
You can't believe anything on the internet or by word of mouth.

When the changes are formally released thru your local then it's down to interpretation and is subject to how much you can believe your local's rendition or their integrity (or lack of).

The total brownout coupled with taking the first offering down to the wire plus the ability to make it easier for everyone to vote is telling imo.

It's just game on (again) and without knowing any true info outside what is posted from the ibt it'll be up to the stewards to separate the pepper from the fly poop and they will have to do it quickly.

The strength of the Teamsters Union is it's members so if this passes or fails it's truly on us, not your local or the ibt, to make it happen.

No matter what tony q or anyone else says, to be fair, we've got to wait to read the whole thing in it's entirety or posting for or against it now is a waste of time imo.

M

MenInBrown

I don’t understand why we have to wait to read the entirety of the contract. What they have already released is a NO for whatever else is in there. They have already released a concession. Seriously, what else do you need to vote NO. #nextquestion

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don’t understand why we have to wait to read the entirety of the contract. What they have already released is a NO for whatever else is in there. They have already released a concession. Seriously, what else do you need to vote NO. #nextquestion

Package car drivers across the country made it clear, they don't want the excessive

overtime and don't want to work weekends. A solution was reached to accommodate

that while creating more full-time jobs and fulfill the contractual requirement to fill more

22.3 positions ala the 22.4 positions.

One piece of language is released.... and that is the reason to vote no ?

Like that somehow "taints" the rest of the contract as being bad ?

-Bug-

Package car drivers across the country made it clear, they don't want the excessive

that while creating more full-time jobs and fulfill the contractual requirement to fill more

-Bug-
It's bad enough they won't be making as much money as we are, it's even worse they have no 9.5 protection. Not only are we throwing our future generation under the bus we are also backing up and running over them again.

Jmho.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's bad enough they won't be making as much money as we are, it's even worse they have no 9.5 protection. Not only are we throwing our future generation under the bus we are also backing up and running over them again.

Jmho.

I understand that point of view, but 22.3's or feeder drivers don't have 9.5 protection.

Just as I said before.... nobody is forced to bid the job. But, there will be people that do

want full-time work and this is just another avenue while they wait for a RPCD job.

This is new language and will probably be tweaked next time around.

Just like in any other contact. Article 40 is a prime example.

-Bug-

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

-Bug-
We already had a system to combat excessive OT, with the vast majority of the package car drivers in my building "opting-not to opt-in".
I suspect those stats are consistent with the rest of the country, so I'm not sure that your assertion is "clear"?

This is just an excuse, a "bait and switch" if you will, to implement a two tier wage scale.

Pandora's Box, that need not be opened, in my opinion...

~Bbbl~™

Last edited:

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
soon.jpg

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
I understand that point of view, but 22.3's or feeder drivers don't have 9.5 protection.

Just as I said before.... nobody is forced to bid the job. But, there will be people that do

want full-time work and this is just another avenue while they wait for a RPCD job.
I agree with this and I don't think it is a bad idea. I am okay with what I've seen so far but there is one important piece missing. This is supposed to be a combo job and a way to alleviate the things you mentioned, not a way to just use 22.4's as lower paid RCPD's. There needs to be language that limits the number of hours they can drive per day. If they drive for more than say 4 hours there needs to be a penalty strong enough that it makes it more expensive to use a 22.4 than an RPCD such as time and a half or double time for all hours worked over 4.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We already had a system to combat excessive OT, with the vast majority of the package car drivers in my building "opting-not to opt-in".

Is that because of the mythical "lock in ride" perpetuated by the company ?

I suspect those stats are consistent with the rest of the country, so I'm not sure that your assertion is "clear"?

Let me phrase it a different way....

From those members that bothered to show up at their Local Union contract proposal meeting.

That sounds clearer.

This is just an excuse, a "bait and switch" if you will, to implement a two tier wage scale.

Again.... who would be forced to bid the job ?

Pandora's Box, that need not be opened, in my opinion...

Pandora's box was opened in 1982, for a 2 tier wage structure. (for part-time)

Ron Carey didn't try to correct it.... :biggrin:

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is that because of the mythical "lock in ride" perpetuated by the company ?
I assume that it is because many want the OT and the extra income it provides???

Let me ask you a question in the hypothetical, albeit a very real, commonplace scenario?

Let's assume "Denis" is a 20 year driver, with 2 kids in college and 10 years left on his mortgage, who has a bid route that includes a pickup log with several late commit times that affords him the opportunity to realize 50-55 hours a week.

Do you think, if these "hybrid drivers" and their flexible schedules are implemented, that this guy will still have the same hours, or will those late pickups be assigned to one of "hybrid drivers" at $20-30/hr rather than $56+ an hour OT rate for the old timer?

~Bbbl~™

STL Cards

Banned
I assume that it is because many want the OT and the extra income it provides???

Let me ask you a question in the hypothetical, albeit a very real, commonplace scenario?

Let's assume "Denis" is a 20 year driver, with 2 kids in college and 10 years left on his mortgage, who has a bid route that includes a pickup log with several late commit times that affords him the opportunity to realize 50-55 hours a week.

Do you think, if these "hybrid drivers" and their flexible schedules are implemented, that this guy will still have the same hours, or will those late pickups be assigned to one of "hybrid drivers" at $20-30/hr rather than $56+ an hour OT rate for the old timer?

~Bbbl~™
Only guaranteed 40 hours.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire

~Bbbl~™
I agree, "Dennis'" OT will likely be cut back. The problem is that i hear a lot more employees fed up with the OT and long hours than employees that are begging for more hours at the PCM every morning. For many people the excessive overtime issue and more time with family was number one on the list for them so how do you make everyone happy. This solution, if implemented in an agreeable way, seems address the issues of the majority.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

~Bbbl~™

I see this scenario

Start the 2nd class drivers at normal start time. While the rcpd starts at whatever time gives him 8 hours until his last pickup

I know if it changes more than an hour it can be rebid

But, do you see where this could go