Just started seasonally, feel like I'm on too difficult a route. Suggestions?

clean hairy

Calm down!
I doubt anyone becomes skilled at any new occupation in only 2 days.
It will seem to be a bit less stressful as time goes by.
You will look back and wonder why it seemed to be so difficult.
Just one delivery at a time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Both of our malls are just a shell of what they were in their hay day. Neither one of them has what you would call a real anchor store---unless you classify a Dollar General as one. What used to be anchors (J.C. Penney, Sears, Kohls, Herbergers have all moved out and built their own separate stores leaving lots of empty space in the malls.

GenericUsername

I came into UPS last season and had a mall route. I'm the only guy from my class (of the 3 that they had) that was kept on. Obviously my experience will differ from yours, but I worked with my preloader to load the outtermall stops away from the mall stops that way I could run those prior to hitting the mall. Our mall here is pretty large so I was the second truck, which carried non-saters and about 50 resi stops. The other drive handled the pickups. My suggestion to you is really learning the mall and finding out what stop is where. Hit your biggest bulk stops in the early morning that way you can gain some space in your car to work with, separate out the stops and attack it a section at a time. Find the shortcuts all you can throughout the mall and don't bother parking 5 or 6 times when you can do it in 2 or 3.

UPSGUY72

I haven't spoke with my supervisor just yet because I've only had two days without him. Going to give it my best another day or two but just looking for some feedback. The route I'm on he tried to train several other people on prior to me but said they couldn't handle it. I'm on a mall route with several businesses around it and some residential. The morning to noon commits I have no problem making, but between organizing my truck and running all over the mall I get behind and I'm barely on time starting my pickups. When I return to the mall for pickups I still have some to deliver that I couldn't get to but had no time commits. I know I'll get more proficient over time but right now I'm completely skipping my break and with peak season hitting very soon I don't feel like I will get proficient enough to keep up with peak and ever have enough time for a break. Most drivers I trained with are on mostly residential routes and say it's fairly easy. This route I feel will stress me out close to the point of having to leave back to my old job. If feeling overwhelmed on a route is it common to be swapped or do they normally say "tough :censored2:". I know its a fast paced stressful job, but the last two days were beyond my stress threshold.

LOL You don't get to choose which route you want to do. You do the route they give you or you can quit...

If your skipping your lunch don't put it in your board if your do put 5 minutes in and take a 5 minute lunch. Don't work for free....

One stop at a time that all you can do.... Good luck

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Our mall driver (now retired) was normally one of the first in every night. It was rumored that he would call his infrequent pickups to see if they had stuff going out.
Yep because many drivers in this company take shortcuts for a variety of reasons.. It's a huge problem that is sometimes causing accidents and injuries..

Grey

Malls are the toughest to do blind but the easiest once you get the hang of it. One of the malls I cover has 5 department stores and I have the personal phone # for every receiving person. I text 5 min before del/pu and they're ready. You gotta be on the same page or else there's too much dead time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Calm down!
I doubt anyone becomes skilled at any new occupation in only 2 days.
It will seem to be a bit less stressful as time goes by.
You will look back and wonder why it seemed to be so difficult.
Just one delivery at a time.
But by the time he starts to get it then Christmas is over...I don't care how tough a route is if I know that I'm only going to be around for 4 weeks I'm going to try to do a good job but not having a heart attack over it... Who the friend cares stop and take 30 minutes before your pickups....and have them take the Resi stops off... The route probably never had any until some Orion fh decided that you needed 20 more stops ....need to try to chill