Just started seasonally, feel like I'm on too difficult a route. Suggestions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you have a smart up and you don't go there for a day or two does the customer get a discount on their bill

$10/week for a Smart Pickup as opposed to $20/week (non-discounted) for a regular daily pickup.

I have converted 4 infrequent pickups to Smart Pickup. Win/win for all involved. I have 6 of them altogether and love to watch the green light come on as they fall off the list.

ManInBrown

You would rather drive 40 minutes round trip for nothing? Yeah, that's Smart.
Do we not get paid to drive around and deliver packages and make pickups? I don't work in the BOG. It's not rainbows and pixie dust where I am. I've never once in my career punched out, the time you say you punch out every day. You work in FairyLand. I work in a town called Reality. Yes, I would rather drive 40 minutes roundtrip for nothing. It's my job. They have a pickup, and I drive every day to see if they have packages going out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do we not get paid to drive around and deliver packages and make pickups? I don't work in the BOG. It's not rainbows and pixie dust where I am. I've never once in my career punched out, the time you say you punch out every day. You work in FairyLand. I work in a town called reality. Yes, I would rather drive 40 minutes roundtrip for nothing. It's my job. They have a pickup, and I drive every day to see if they have packages going out.

Work smarter, not harder.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
That's what I figured. At least the mall is open late so I can make some deliveries during my pickups. Will try to find someone else that has done this route for some insight. No idea how they knock this out and actually have time to eat something. Thanks for the reply.
Find a driver that can run the route in a timely manner. Go in the UPS system and run a report from a day that he did a good job.That will show you the order they ran the route.

HxC MADxMAN

You're not my supervisor
I just finished my second week driving on my own, so I'll share a few things I learned.

For bulk stops, see if they have a big flat cart that you could use. A good amount of my bulk stops have huge 3' x 5' carts that turn 4 trips from the cart in my truck, into 1.

Try to save time by avoiding handling the packages an unnecessary amount of times. At the beginning, I found I was wasting time moving through my truck too much and moving boxes too many times on their way to my cart.

Try to set yourself up for quick scans. I wasted so much time picking up and setting down my DIAD multiple times at the same stop. Now I go through and scan all the packages for the stop in one go before I've started moving them from my truck. Each cart load, I'll count the boxes while I'm wheeling them in to make sure it all adds up to how many I scanned, rather than standing there at the end and counting up all the stacks. Or load them on the cart in a way that you can scan them all without walking around the stack or moving boxes to find labels.

Those are the parts that slowed me down at bulk stops, and they may or may not be areas that you need help with, just throwing ideas out there. It's suprising how many little things can save time, and it all adds up.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I just finished my second week driving on my own, so I'll share a few things I learned.

For bulk stops, see if they have a big flat cart that you could use. A good amount of my bulk stops have huge 3' x 5' carts that turn 4 trips from the cart in my truck, into 1.

Try to save time by avoiding handling the packages an unnecessary amount of times. At the beginning, I found I was wasting time moving through my truck too much and moving boxes too many times on their way to my cart.

Try to set yourself up for quick scans. I wasted so much time picking up and setting down my DIAD multiple times at the same stop. Now I go through and scan all the packages for the stop in one go before I've started moving them from my truck. Each cart load, I'll count the boxes while I'm wheeling them in to make sure it all adds up to how many I scanned, rather than standing there at the end and counting up all the stacks. Or load them on the cart in a way that you can scan them all without walking around the stack or moving boxes to find labels.

Those are the parts that slowed me down at bulk stops, and they may or may not be areas that you need help with, just throwing ideas out there. It's suprising how many little things can save time, and it all adds up.
Or make stacks that have the same amount of boxes per stack then multiply the number of boxes per stack to number of stacks you have, just as easy.

margaritaville

Run straight air then run straight bulk then sort your truck while eating a sandwhich. Having quick access to your packages will make it easier and having food in your stomach will give you energy to push on. I know some routes are just unreasonable though so you may be screwed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Are you a ups employee or just hired for Christmas??if it's the second choice I wouldn't overthink things too much or try to get stressed out because once the end of December hits you will 99% be gone ...have a guy here who has been Christmas driver for last 3 or 4 years and actually thinks he will be hired on ... Not going to happen:(