Just started seasonally, feel like I'm on too difficult a route. Suggestions?

upschuck

Are you a ups employee or just hired for Christmas??if it's the second choice I wouldn't overthink things too much or try to get stressed out because once the end of December hits you will 99% be gone ...have a guy here who has been Christmas driver for last 3 or 4 years and actually thinks he will be hired on ... Not going to happen:(
What part of him will still be here?

boxwayne

Just do your best, if you need help ask for it. Don't be afraid to ask for help. As long as your commits are off on time and pick ups made on time it's all good.

newfie

I haven't spoke with my supervisor just yet because I've only had two days without him. Going to give it my best another day or two but just looking for some feedback. The route I'm on he tried to train several other people on prior to me but said they couldn't handle it. I'm on a mall route with several businesses around it and some residential. The morning to noon commits I have no problem making, but between organizing my truck and running all over the mall I get behind and I'm barely on time starting my pickups. When I return to the mall for pickups I still have some to deliver that I couldn't get to but had no time commits. I know I'll get more proficient over time but right now I'm completely skipping my break and with peak season hitting very soon I don't feel like I will get proficient enough to keep up with peak and ever have enough time for a break. Most drivers I trained with are on mostly residential routes and say it's fairly easy. This route I feel will stress me out close to the point of having to leave back to my old job. If feeling overwhelmed on a route is it common to be swapped or do they normally say "tough :censored2:". I know its a fast paced stressful job, but the last two days were beyond my stress threshold.

sounds like you're doing a great job, keep pluggin.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Oh Gawd!!!
You mean you are like this in real life?
On the route?
Oh hell no Photonerdball, dont roll like that homey, only at home Brotherman lol
200DCJVJIQY.gif

Holydriver

Are you a ups employee or just hired for Christmas??if it's the second choice I wouldn't overthink things too much or try to get stressed out because once the end of December hits you will 99% be gone ...have a guy here who has been Christmas driver for last 3 or 4 years and actually thinks he will be hired on ... Not going to happen:(
i hired on right after peak. got fired one day, called back the next

wayfair

swollen member
Annoying going to the 10th floor of a building to find out they don't have anything.

*if anyone hasn't said it yet*

Sounds like the easiest money being made that day!!

just be glad you don't need a couple of hand truck loads to get the pick up done

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've also done this for some of my pick up accounts.
It saves them money so they can still use us.
It builds trust, and some fat ass tips!!!

How long did it take for you to do this?

I would explain the process to the shipper, call the toll free, start the conversion and then hand the phone over to them. Less than 5 minutes total.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I don't call pickups or let them put out flags/signs.

40 min R/T for an infrequent shipper makes zero sense. Convert them to a Smart Pickup.
No you just sign their names for their deliveries and DR it.

You're really not one to be lecturing others on what is smart when you falsify records for your own benefit every time.

If the customer wants a smart pickup, they can sign up for it but not because some pushy, egotistical driver didn't want to provide the service they are paid to do.

You don't get to decide what level of service the customer should be getting just because it might inconvenience you

Show us how you can work smart within following the methods and then your constant babble of your higher perch might have some credit behind.

But until then, you're a contradiction every time.

HxC MADxMAN

You're not my supervisor

Just Christmas. yeah yeah I know. Everyone's making sure to point out I won't be here after Christmas, and I don't Intend to be. I go back to school January 2nd, so it works out perfectly.

I was just throwing points out there because being a new PC driver, it's not stuff most people realize they're wasting time with.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just Christmas. yeah yeah I know. Everyone's making sure to point out I won't be here after Christmas, and I don't Intend to be. I go back to school January 2nd, so it works out perfectly.

I was just throwing points out there because being a new PC driver, it's not stuff most people realize they're wasting time with.
Money talks end of subject lol

Dude I've worked for ups for 9.5 years now i started driving last year. I have learned 4 routes now and I still haven't took a lunch. But $30 a hour I don't cry about not taking lunch. You have no idea how bad it could be. 3 days lol please try 149 days of driving no lunch. Good luck man

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Dude I've worked for ups for 9.5 years now i started driving last year. I have learned 4 routes now and I still haven't took a lunch. But $30 a hour I don't cry about not taking lunch. You have no idea how bad it could be. 3 days lol please try 149 days of driving no lunch. Good luck man
I've learned over 25 routes in the past year and a half of full time driving. I manage to get at least some lunch during the day every day. You're doing it wrong.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its time for you to take your lunch.