Keyless system question

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's funny how things are so different across the country. We are not allowed to know the safe combo and if for some reason we need to get the spare out, they change the code that night.

This idea sounded good in a cubicle but it will change as soon as the real world starts kicking in.

As a mechanic writting it up everyday will only annoy him, when I have a driver writting something up everyday I put an old non power steering truck in his spot till he calms down. We mechanics did not design this system, we only install them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As a mechanic writting it up everyday will only annoy him, when I have a driver writting something up everyday I put an old non power steering truck in his spot till he calms down. We mechanics did not design this system, we only install them.

Whenever I have issues with my truck (International P-7, 666-series) instead of just writing the problem down I take the time to walk over to the shop with DVIR in hand and actually explain to the mechanic what the truck is doing. Its hard to give a detailed description on 3 tiny lines of the DVIR, I can save the mechanic a lot of guesswork and diagnostic time if I discuss it with him face to face. My truck was running like crap recently and giving all the symptoms of a bad turbo, but after talking with me for a couple minutes and discussing the color of the smoke and where in the powerband it was missing, the mechanic was able to determine that the injectors were bad instead.

I want to be on his good side so that I dont wind up driving a POS!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Whenever I have issues with my truck (International P-7, 666-series) instead of just writing the problem down I take the time to walk over to the shop with DVIR in hand and actually explain to the mechanic what the truck is doing. Its hard to give a detailed description on 3 tiny lines of the DVIR, I can save the mechanic a lot of guesswork and diagnostic time if I discuss it with him face to face. My truck was running like crap recently and giving all the symptoms of a bad turbo, but after talking with me for a couple minutes and discussing the color of the smoke and where in the powerband it was missing, the mechanic was able to determine that the injectors were bad instead.

I want to be on his good side so that I dont wind up driving a POS!
And that's the way it works. :youreright:

browned out

If I get a piece of junk for voicing legitimate concerns; the mechanic will be putting a sunvisor on that old piece of junk and I will write up the cracked shelves, etc. It will be the perfect non power steering truck or it will be scrapped because it will cost UPS too much to fix it. Why can't we all just get along.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just love it when it works. the back never works. The time I save in the front I lose in the back. I have to block the fob with my body and boxes to get the back to click.
But they pay me well to figure out their foibles.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I just love it when it works. the back never works. The time I save in the front I lose in the back. I have to block the fob with my body and boxes to get the back to click.
But they pay me well to figure out their foibles.

And then have to nerve to ask you why it took so long.

rod

Retired 22 years

I want to be on his good side so that I dont wind up driving a POS
!

Never had that problem when I retired. All of our trucks were pieces of :poop:-----but at least they looked good (clean anyway) going down the road.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And then have to nerve to ask you why it took so long.
Good answer, we have a winner................15 times I was in the back, wouldnt work, went outside, it wouldnt work. I had to retrieve the key 15 times, 7 times I stood there and played with it. Any mathematicians out there, I know it took too long. Mechanice said we got junk ones and his boss said quit installing them, the mechanics are spending all thier time on them. Could it be a mistake, can we blame IE?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's the problem I had Tooner. The dash switch worked like it was supposed to but the fob was a different story. One quick push is supposed to light up the dash switch and it would work for awhile then it wouldn't. I had to keep hitting it and hitting it and hitting it, I was ready to hit it alright. It's a good thing I didn't have a hammer within reach. I was ready to through the damn thing out the window. Eventually it would open the door and sometimes 3 and 4 times before I could get the dash switch to light up. I had 113 stops yesterday with 260+ pcs. By the end of the day I was pissed. And I get in my truck yesterday morning and my water bottle and my cup are gone. My :censored2::censored2: (< X 100) mechanic apperently decided that I didn't need them and threw them out so I had to stop and buy a new water bottle. By the time I clocked out last night I was not in a good frame of mind. I dumped on my night sup. It's a good thing that the mechanic wasn't there because I was ready to just let him have it. I told my night sup that if he did it again (that was actually the 2nd time - one of our R&G's that covered my rte did it the 1st time just a few weeks ago) I would call security and report him for stealing. I wrote it up on my DVIR last night. That should go over well. Said - if you took my water bottle out of my truck and threw it away then you need to replace it. I'm still pissed. I HOPE MY OR HAS THE BALLS TO SAY SOMETHING TO ME TODAY. PLEASE, JUST SAY ONE WORD ABOUT IT. I AM SOOOOOOO READY TO GIVE HIM AN EARFUL TOOOO.

I WANT MY KEYS BACK.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
That's the problem I had Tooner. The dash switch worked like it was supposed to but the fob was a different story. One quick push is supposed to light up the dash switch and it would work for awhile then it wouldn't. I had to keep hitting it and hitting it and hitting it, I was ready to hit it alright. It's a good thing I didn't have a hammer within reach. I was ready to through the damn thing out the window. Eventually it would open the door and sometimes 3 and 4 times before I could get the dash switch to light up. I had 113 stops yesterday with 260+ pcs. By the end of the day I was pissed. And I get in my truck yesterday morning and my water bottle and my cup are gone. My :censored2::censored2: (< X 100) mechanic apperently decided that I didn't need them and threw them out so I had to stop and buy a new water bottle. By the time I clocked out last night I was not in a good frame of mind. I dumped on my night sup. It's a good thing that the mechanic wasn't there because I was ready to just let him have it. I told my night sup that if he did it again (that was actually the 2nd time - one of our R&G's that covered my rte did it the 1st time just a few weeks ago) I would call security and report him for stealing. I wrote it up on my DVIR last night. That should go over well. Said - if you took my water bottle out of my truck and threw it away then you need to replace it. I'm still pissed. I HOPE MY OR HAS THE BALLS TO SAY SOMETHING TO ME TODAY. PLEASE, JUST SAY ONE WORD ABOUT IT. I AM SOOOOOOO READY TO GIVE HIM AN EARFUL TOOOO.

I WANT MY KEYS BACK.
Ok one of the things I have noticed is that if the button on the fob is kept being pushed time after time the keyless sys gets confused as to your intentions, this will take approx 15 seconds to reset, that 15 seconds of just standing there making money waiting on a sys that was built by the lowest bidder. Sit back and enjoy that 6 minutes a day that keyless is suppose to save you.

brownelf

I drive an old beater International 10 cube, it's got a new paint job, lapbelt and all latest spyware along with the keyfob. It costs me a least 7-8 minutes a day using the keyfob, half the time it doesn't work properly and now that my starter is beginning to grind cause the solenoid doesn't always engage (scheduled for repair) you have to wait the 15 seconds for it to reset. That being said I'm not a fan of the keyfob, think it was a waste of time & money putting them in these older trucks.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I find that reset time, is luxury. Telematics this. I was sitting coz A my truck wouldnt start, B I couldnt get the bulkhead open, C I couldnt get the back open. D coz I was crying about my keys.
Seriously, the back door doesnt work with 1 2 or 3 pushes of the fobulator. You just keep pushing the fob til it clicks, 2xs 3sx, just keep hitting it, it will click, or it wont. After a while, they are paying you more than any person in the world should make for slinging. And you cant sling coz you cant get in the cargo area. Whatever. Relax and enjoy.
They wanted to make us into A HEMI and they made us into a slant six, dodge dart push button dash.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ok one of the things I have noticed is that if the button on the fob is kept being pushed time after time the keyless sys gets confused as to your intentions, this will take approx 15 seconds to reset, that 15 seconds of just standing there making money waiting on a sys that was built by the lowest bidder. Sit back and enjoy that 6 minutes a day that keyless is suppose to save you.
It started in first thing this morning. I couldn't even get pulled away from the dock. Had my OR come over to the truck. Turns out the control module is too far away. OH :censored2: GREAT! So I took the fob off the key ring and literally had it in my hand all day. Every time I needed to start the truck.......... hand over head pushing the :censored2: button. NICE!!