Knee injury brewing

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Remember one time in a snowstorm my windshield wipers assembly broke. In the old 600's it was right above the steering wheel on a ledge. For 40 miles coming home, had one hand on the steering wheel and the other one reaching up running the wiper by hand.

Had a buddy almost lose a finger once doing that on his P600. Wiper jammed and he put his hand up there to get it going again. Of course the thing started working again before he could remove his finger. Emergency room had to sew it back together.

The old P800 I drove for 5 years had a higher step on it than the old P6. No power steering delivering 150 stops a day in a downtown setting would put some beef on your arm muscles.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The old p 600 , dam ,, i remember some had the round brake & clutch pedals and catching my bits & pieces on the shifter ,& my favorite,, mis stepping on way in and banging my shins , yes , we drove the lap of luxury!!

The best winter trick I ever learned was to tape a carpet sample where my feet went under the brake and clutch

you can’t believe how much difference that makes

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
The best winter trick I ever learned was to tape a carpet sample where my feet went under the brake and clutch

you can’t believe how much difference that makes
Not a driver but we ride in the old box vans every night. Brother, we doctor that thing up. Carpet on the floor and cardboard EVERYWHERE. We stay warm. It was cold as all get out thursday night and friday night.

WTFm8

And UPS still tries to BS people;

That stepping down off the PKG car (facing forward) somehow....

is using 3 points of contact. Can't pass a CDL test, doing that.

And it’s only 2 points anyhow. Would require both hands grabbing something as you step. That’s where the 3 points come in.

BurntSienna

Great advice. Thank you for taking the time to share that

1 Step off truck facing backwards.

2 No pkgs in hand when on stairs.

3 Lower yourself slowly when stepping on or off.. handrail to ease the transition.

4 No stepping off docks to pkg car floor, stack pkgs on edge of dock, climb down, then load

5 Pivot your ass in the seat when getting up or sitting down. No one step to the side manuvers. Both feet face the pasenger door before getting up or down.

6. No running.

7 Lose weight,

8 The Mayo Clinic says fish oil helps...I agree......
"Rheumatoid arthritis. Studies suggest fish oil supplements might help reduce pain, improve morning stiffness and relieve joint tenderness in people with rheumatoid arthritis. While relief is often modest, it might be enough to reduce the need for anti-inflammatory medications"

9.Slide pks on to porches without climbing up the steps.. .

10 Set your seat to the highest possible position....avoids deep knee bends

11 Avoid lifting deeply whenever possible...Pkgs to shelves,
Stack your cart so you can offload without lifting pkgs again. Avoid all unnecessary lifting and lowering

Dumbo

Get a foam roller and use every day. Also make sure you foam roll and stretch your back. Many people don't realize that pain is often the end result in a kinetic chain, meaning a tight back or hip flexors could be causing knee pain.

The Milkman

Wood shelves for slivers under finger nails.
Rock hard clutch pedals Skinny ass bottom step on the driver's side made for a contortionist to wiggle through. Huge lip on bulkhead door track to stumble over. Bulkhead door jamb that sharpened into a guillotine with every closing. Beautfull trucks were they not?

The bulkhead doors were not as wide as today, and when you had Nordi Tracs ya had to use the rear door. If ya had bulk in your way you had to wrestle with them. The old p-500's were worse with them and frikkin beds. LOL

The Milkman

Honestly I spent an entire winter in an old 400 seeing my breath in the cab, all day.

I think this was a 300? that I as a split driver I got a break from dealing with the 6 & 8's

UPS 1.jpg

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
My right knee is starting to act up. I know it’s probably from getting on and off the truck 200 times a day. I’m very good about using the handrail but I’ll admit there are times when I forget or I don’t grab it firmly enough. Really want to avoid this turning into something serious. Any tips or advice (other than find a new job) would be appreciated.
you work at UPS , schedule the surgery ASAP

Faceplanted

The old non power steering high step trucks were shoulder and knee killers. If you can’t step out of the new package card without getting hurt you have an issue.

Iv noticed making sure to bend your knee at 90 degrees up and down make a huge difference. Most people kinda side kick their legs going up stairs, that kills your knees.