Lack of control on a center level

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know about how many people quit, but I do know UPS really jack up the PPH to where all you can do is just throw the boxes into the truck and hope it is the right truck. Misloads are thru the roof some days. Can't keep preloaders or preloads sups. I wonder if there is a connection.
You know once you knew your trucks I don't see how PAL is that much faster. I was one of the few sorters that actually passed the sort test. In my heyday I could keep up with two unloaders for about half a trailer.

Now with the new scanners it's two sorters per unloader.

PT Car Washer

Really. 2 unloaders? You must have been an animal. Had unloaders that almost put me to sleep and had unloaders that made me sweat in January. Kind of miss those days.

FilingBluesFL

Really. 2 unloaders? You must have been an animal. Had unloaders that almost put me to sleep and had unloaders that made me sweat in January. Kind of miss those days.

The whole reason I'm an employee to this day, is because I used to blow trailers out when I was hired for peak season. I did anything and everything I could to get out of those trailers in an ungodly amount of time, to make sure I stood out from the crowd.

Needless to say I was kept on after holiday, because I turned a few heads for the "right" reasons.

Brownslave688

Yep back when I was trying to impress. Sup would always say I'll get another sorter over here ASAP. A few times I kept up for a whole trailer but at some point you're just slinging :censored2: and don't really have much confidence in where it's going.

Brownslave688

The whole reason I'm an employee to this day, is because I used to blow trailers out when I was hired for peak season. I did anything and everything I could to get out of those trailers in an ungodly amount of time, to make sure I stood out from the crowd.

Needless to say I was kept on after holiday, because I turned a few heads for the "right" reasons.
Yep even though I wasn't seasonal I was young and knew ups was my shot at a career with no degree.

I knew I had a 30 day probation and I knew there was no way anyone hired with me was going to out work me. All this after I worked a 4pm-2:30am shift at an auto parts plant.

FilingBluesFL

Yep back when I was trying to impress. Sup would always say I'll get another sorter over here ASAP. A few times I kept up for a whole trailer but at some point you're just slinging :censored2: and don't really have much confidence in where it's going.

As long as the labels were up, I could handle two unloaders, one that was beasting it.

When the a-holes put all the labels down, I'd hit that Shiny Red Button like it was going out of style (Conveyor stop).

When I was on layoff, I had to butt heads with this ignorant supervisor. I was more than happy to hit the Shiny Red Button for any/everything I could lol He gets soooo angry.

FilingBluesFL

Yep even though I wasn't seasonal I was young and knew ups was my shot at a career with no degree.

I knew I had a 30 day probation and I knew there was no way anyone hired with me was going to out work me. All this after I worked a 4pm-2:30am shift at an auto parts plant.

When I was working during peak, I'd go to my full time job pushing shopping carts for a major big box retailer from 3pm to 11:50pm, drive straight to UPS, start at 12:05am until 9am.

Rinse, sleep, repeat Mon-Friday. I lost about 80lbs or so, went down a couple belt sizes.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You know once you knew your trucks I don't see how PAL is that much faster. I was one of the few sorters that actually passed the sort test. In my heyday I could keep up with two unloaders for about half a trailer.

At the end of our shift when I was on preload, they would always have me finish down the stretch. I was the fastest sorter and they would routinely have 3 guys unloading on me. I would kill them dudes. The preload supe was always like dam dude your a bad dude, I aint never seen anybody sort that fast and keep up with 3 guys unloading a trailer on them. Yeah this kid was a freak lol.

Brownslave688

At the end of our shift when I was on preload, they would always have me finish down the stretch. I was the fastest sorter and they would routinely have 3 guys unloading on me. I would kill them dudes. The preload supe was always like dam dude your a bad dude, I aint never seen anybody sort that fast and keep up with 3 guys unloading a trailer on them. Yeah this kid was a freak lol.
3 people to a trailer sounds like a cluster :censored2:.

BCFan

I believe you because that scanner is bogus. I do a shuttle that requires me to unload a van and those sorters are slowed down by that scan and slap junk. When I started in 79 I was a unloader and love to smoke those sorters. Talking smack and kicking crack!

Card files. RD/RR Box numbers. EC? Yeah, right. Every single package was attempted every single day. "Call the center" meant finding a payphone.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It definitely was a lot different than today. You can do more stops so I get that aspect but the decisions you and I had to make back then would make these knew generation of drivers head spin.