Lacking Innovation

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We didn't go on strike for better pay--the strike was all about the part-timers.

I would be lying if I said that my pension will not be the major source of my retirement income; however, I will use the next 7 years to max out my 401k and remain debt-free so that I do not have to rely entirely upon my pension. I will draw SS the day that I become eligible and will use that for spending money.

vantexan

We didn't go on strike for better pay--the strike was all about the part-timers.I would be lying if I said that my pension will not be the major source of my retirement income; however, I will use the next 7 years to max out my 401k and remain debt-free so that I do not have to rely entirely upon my pension. I will draw SS the day that I become eligible and will use that for spending money.
Really, your pay didn't go up substantially after the strike? Drop down to $17.64hr after almost 13 years, take a $16k pension at 60 plus what's in your cash balance plan, plus whatever you can get together in your 401k. Then come talk to me about how greedy and disgruntled I am for wanting FedEx to do better by us.

Really, your pay didn't go up substantially after the strike? Drop down to $17.64hr after almost 13 years, take a $16k pension at 60 plus what's in your cash balance plan, plus whatever you can get together in your 401k. Then come talk to me about how greedy and disgruntled I am for wanting FedEx to do better by us.

Substantially? Our annual raise was anywhere from .75 to a dollar a year before and after the strike, ballpark. That was 14 years ago. Why didn`t you put an application in then?

vantexan

Substantially? Our annual raise was anywhere from .75 to a dollar a year before and after the strike, ballpark. That was 14 years ago. Why didn`t you put an application in then?
Because after 4.5 years without a raise I finally got one in early '97. All of 39 cents. I was domiciled up in Salida, CO. Decided to quit and start my own business. My last week was the first week of your strike. First day of that week I was out past midnight delivering with your guys laughing when they saw me drive by. Great group of guys by the way. UPS had a small facility there. Anyways, business didn't work out, came back to FedEx in late '98. Easy to say in hindsight, but I knew then I'd get full-time fairly quickly and as they finally came up with some substantial raises for topped out couriers figured I'd be in better money eventually. After all they were telling me it would take about 7 to 8 years to top out. Figured I would pay for my mistake, get back on track, and get a decent pension. Now of course I know better. I hung in there thinking at least I'll get the pension, that fell through just before the economy did. Easy to say why not 14 years ago but I knew I'd go FT quick and they took me back no problem. I didn't know how long it would take me to get on with UPS, how long as a handler, how long as a PTer. And you guys can't transfer. I wanted to get back out west, was rehired in my hometown in Florida. So there it is. And as is, I've already grossed over $100k less than topped out employees since being rehired and if I work until I'm 70 won't catch top pay. And from what I hear with your new contract even UPS is going this direction. But at least your newhires will top out in a reasonable time with excellent benefits. Unless that's changing too.

vantexan

And FedEx has 7 payscales. Our topped out guys on the lowest payscale, which I'm on, still haven't quite caught what you were making 14 years ago.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And FedEx has 7 payscales. Our topped out guys on the lowest payscale, which I'm on, still haven't quite caught what you were making 14 years ago.

I for one have had just about enough of this pity party. The last I heard there is no indentured servitude at FedEx--in other words, you are free to go at any time; however, due to your age and health issues you would be hard pressed to find an employer who would be willing to hire you or to offer health coverage which would cover your existing conditions so, for all intents and purposes, you are stuck.

I am sorry things did not work out the way that you would have liked. Things don't work out for a lot of people. It could be worse--you could be pushing a shopping cart with all of your worldly possessions wondering where your next meal was going to come from and trying to remember how good a hot shower used to feel.

You think that all UPS drivers are millionaires. Think again--most of my co-workers live paycheck to paycheck. Few have saved for retirement and will be relying solely on their pensions. Most budget based on all of the overtime they receive rather than on a 40 hour week. When I suggest to my younger co-workers that they should fund their 401k's they laugh at me and tell me retirement is a million miles away.

I have about $5K in debt left to pay off (other than my mortgage). I have about $60K in my 401k. My plan is to pay off the debt before the year is out and then max out my 401k for my remaining 7 1/2 yrs while remaining debt free. I hope to have at least $200K by the time I retire and plan to let it continue to build until I am forced to start taking withdrawals at 70 1/2. (why is everything associated with a 401k in 1/2 yr increments?) I will live on my $5K/month pension and the $1K or so from SS.

Life is what we make of it. You can sit and whine about what could have been or you can make the best of what you have.

Last edited:

vantexan

I for one have had just about enough of this pity party.
What pity party? Go back and read the posts on the 401k thread. Your guys keep saying I'm at a lower level than them, that I am a liberal who expects handouts, that I make plenty and just have bad priorities. I've just pointed out that they've benefited greatly from having a union, that it's much easier to fund their retirement, that they really can't relate to what's been happening at FedEx. It's not my fault that some blow the opportunity they have at UPS, but they still have the opportunity, and can right their ship at any time with what they're being paid. You guys seem awfully irritated that a poor schmoe like me would dare to tell his bosses that they aren't doing right by us. And that FedEx isn't unique, literally millions are being pushed out of the middle class in the pursuit of stock riches for the few. It's not a pity party, it's reality, and as long as I'm attacked for pointing it out I will keep pointing it out.

Because after 4.5 years without a raise I finally got one in early '97. All of 39 cents. I was domiciled up in Salida, CO. Decided to quit and start my own business. My last week was the first week of your strike. First day of that week I was out past midnight delivering with your guys laughing when they saw me drive by. Great group of guys by the way. UPS had a small facility there. Anyways, business didn't work out, came back to FedEx in late '98. Easy to say in hindsight, but I knew then I'd get full-time fairly quickly and as they finally came up with some substantial raises for topped out couriers figured I'd be in better money eventually. After all they were telling me it would take about 7 to 8 years to top out. Figured I would pay for my mistake, get back on track, and get a decent pension. Now of course I know better. I hung in there thinking at least I'll get the pension, that fell through just before the economy did. Easy to say why not 14 years ago but I knew I'd go FT quick and they took me back no problem. I didn't know how long it would take me to get on with UPS, how long as a handler, how long as a PTer. And you guys can't transfer. I wanted to get back out west, was rehired in my hometown in Florida. So there it is. And as is, I've already grossed over $100k less than topped out employees since being rehired and if I work until I'm 70 won't catch top pay. And from what I hear with your new contract even UPS is going this direction. But at least your newhires will top out in a reasonable time with excellent benefits. Unless that's changing too.

And who, of the other 6 billion people on this planet, is responsible for this other than you?

What pity party? Go back and read the posts on the 401k thread. Your guys keep saying I'm at a lower level than them, that I am a liberal who expects handouts, that I make plenty and just have bad priorities. I've just pointed out that they've benefited greatly from having a union, that it's much easier to fund their retirement, that they really can't relate to what's been happening at FedEx. It's not my fault that some blow the opportunity they have at UPS, but they still have the opportunity, and can right their ship at any time with what they're being paid. You guys seem awfully irritated that a poor schmoe like me would dare to tell his bosses that they aren't doing right by us. And that FedEx isn't unique, literally millions are being pushed out of the middle class in the pursuit of stock riches for the few. It's not a pity party, it's reality, and as long as I'm attacked for pointing it out I will keep pointing it out.

[video=youtube;KEOOvylq4Jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOOvylq4Jw[/video]

vantexan

And who, of the other 6 billion people on this planet, is responsible for this other than you?
Actually expert there are 7 billion now but who's counting. Attack me all you want, too many of us are expected to work as hard as possible for as little as possible. This concept on a mass scale is creating a huge underclass in this country and will put a huge drag on the economy. Enjoy your retirement, it'll happen in an America that shouldn't be, not an America that could be.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually expert there are 7 billion now but who's counting. Attack me all you want, too many of us are expected to work as hard as possible for as little as possible. This concept on a mass scale is creating a huge underclass in this country and will put a huge drag on the economy. Enjoy your retirement, it'll happen in an America that shouldn't be, not an America that could be.

NO ONE IS ARGUING WITH YOU!!!! And, yes, I will enjoy my retirement, as I hope you will as well (don't drink the water). Dave.

Actually expert there are 7 billion, Sorry, mine was a top of the head guess. How come your not this good with numbers when it comes to your retirement investments?, now but who's counting. Attack me all you want, too many of us are expected to work as hard as possible for as little as possible. This concept on a mass scale is creating a huge underclass in this country and will put a huge drag on the economy. Enjoy your retirement, it'll happen in an America that shouldn't be, not an America that could be.

As long as you`ve left it will be one for the better.

bbsam

Staff member
I fully intend to be a millionaire when I retire. Not quite sure the exact path, but that's part of the thrill.

vantexan

I fully intend to be a millionaire when I retire. Not quite sure the exact path, but that's part of the thrill.
I'll get by fine but you guys, if you chose to, could live extraordinarily well in South America. I know a guy who lives in one of Santiago, Chile's nicest neighborhoods. He sends his two daughters to private school, goes out to eat with his wife several nights a week, travels regular, has several maids and a gardener/chauffeur, nice cars, etc for $60k a year. I have no desire to live like that but it's easy to do for much less than the States. It's not so much that the world is cheap, it's that the States are overpriced. It's a common thing in Latin America for restaurants to offer a set meal at lunch for a reasonable price. Depending on the restaurant it could cost anywhere from the equivalent of $1.50 to $4.00. And that's for real food, not junk food. Have you priced American fast food lately?

vantexan

Forgot to mention that Chile is just shy of First World status and is the most expensive country in Latin America. It's also the safest country in Latin America, much safer than the U.S., and has a national police force that always comes in first in public surveys of what are the most respected institutions in the country.

vantexan

This is amusing...you rag on me for wanting better pay and a decent retirement but you sound here like you think you got minimal raises. How much do you make again? Try years with no raises or, like 2010, minimal raises like 34 cents an hour. What's also funny is how you and Brett defend what's going on with CEO compensation, yet had a union get you what you've got. Ask any CEO what he thinks of unions. And Brett talks of being harassed by union mgrs. Any of them defraud customers and put him in the middle of it? Any of them force him to work 6 days to get his 35 hr guarantee, which we get on 5 days? Any of them falsify his timecards? Any of them lie to him about location of job opening to get him to move there? Oh, y'all can't transfer. That place was hell on Earth, used to start lunch at 2015 to 2030 and off work 2215 to 2230. Loaded hundreds of boxes in 100 degree heat after running all day. Wasn't AZ dry heat either. Point is you think you know but you don't. And I think anyone that works hard should be rewarded with better pay and a decent pension.

LTFedExer

vantexan said:
And I think anyone that works hard should be rewarded with better pay and a decent pension.
I'll agree with this. And if the company you work for doesn't offer what you want, you go work somewhere else. I have a friend on the East Coast that just went to work for another company after 20 years with FedEx, so it can be done.

This is amusing...you rag on me for wanting better pay and a decent retirement but you sound here like you think you got minimal raises. You said substantial. That is not. How much do you make again? $80-90K :P Try years with no raises or, like 2010, minimal raises like 34 cents an hour. Like our split raises we have now? What's also funny is how you and Brett defend what's going on with CEO compensation, yet had a union get you what you've got. Grow a pair and call 1-800-TeamstersUnion Ask any CEO what he thinks of unions. Waa And Brett talks of being harassed by union mgrs. Any of them defraud customers and put him in the middle of it? Waa Any of them force him to work 6 days to get his 35 hr guarantee, which we get on 5 days? Waa Any of them falsify his timecards? Waa Any of them lie to him about location of job opening to get him to move there? Waa Oh, y'all can't transfer. Waa That place was hell on Earth, used to start lunch at 2015 to 2030 and off work 2215 to 2230. Waa Loaded hundreds of boxes in 100 degree heat after running all day. Waa Wasn't AZ dry heat either. Waa Point is you think you know but you don't. Waa And I think anyone that works hard should be rewarded with better pay and a decent pension. We are, Thank you.

Tissue?
tissue.jpg