Ladies and gentlemen I give you...”transformation”

JL 0513

Those with the new docks, how are they mounted? I assume they are now mounted high and angled for screen viewing. Must be fun for the techs to mount since there's so many different truck designs.

In cab distraction? Of course not!

Mooseknuckle

I have been with UPS for 31 years, I started when we were recording on paper, and I have experienced every new technology (CACD, PLD, PAS/EDD, Telematics, 5 different iterations of the DIAD) that we have ever implemented.
I have always been an enthusiastic supporter of these new technologies. Technology is supposed to make the job more efficient and—up until now—it always has.
But only a complete friend*ing idiot would implement a system that throws basic delivery methods in the trash and has a driver in a blown out car selecting off of random shelves. Only a complete friend*ing idiot would intentionally block a driver from having a coherent view of his manifest. Only a complete friend*ing idiot would load the car in a completely different order from how it is supposed to be delivered, and only a complete friend*ing idiot would implement useless, battery draining software without first making sure the DIADS can stay charged.
If this is the caliber of people who are supposed to lead this company into the future, we are screwed.
The company used to have a policy of promoting from within. You had management that knew what was really going on. Now they import upper management from other corporations.

Mooseknuckle

In my center they won't bring you another battery. They tell you to write down the tracking number and delivery location, sign sig. req. on info notices and enter all when you get back after charge the diad a bit.. Needless to say, we get a lot of OT
Did this several times. It takes way longer than just having them bring you another diad (unless you're pretty far out) but, at least you don't have to disrupt their nap back at the center.

542thruNthru

Did this several times. It takes way longer than just having them bring you another diad (unless you're pretty far out) but, at least you don't have to disrupt their nap back at the center.

Of topic question Moose. How many drivers would you say your building has? Sorry just curious.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not trying to poke at you at all but, I'd be stoked to have 88 pkgs. and 65 stops at 3:15. Sounds like a nice route, or too many miles.
Its a nice route. But it does a lot of miles on crappy roads. Not that you will ever hear me complain about it...

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
View attachment 218429 This, my friends, is the “transformation” that we are supposed to embrace.
My RDO has been taken away and replaced with a functionally useless map/navigation system that has to shut itself off at 3:15 on a warm sunny day after delivering 88 packages to 65 stops in order to conserve battery life.
I barely made it back to the building last night before my battery died, I am told that there will be no new DIADS available for peak, and that the spares we are getting all have battery issues.
Did UPS think to equip the brand new $40K 2018 package car I am driving with a $10 USB port? No.
Did UPS have the foresight to equip its cars with DIAD chargers before going live with the MapNav/ no RDO program? No.
Did UPS stop to think that, to a driver like myself with 26 years of area knowledge, RDO and a DIAD that has the capacity to function for more than 9 hours without dying might be more valuable during peak season than a navigation system? No.
Transformation: when the concepts of common sense and planning ahead are “transformed” into forced stupidity and high tech gimmicks that fail the test of reality.
Just steal an extra battery from that one drivers board that tends to make everything an issue. You know the one

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
View attachment 218429 This, my friends, is the “transformation” that we are supposed to embrace.
My RDO has been taken away and replaced with a functionally useless map/navigation system that has to shut itself off at 3:15 on a warm sunny day after delivering 88 packages to 65 stops in order to conserve battery life.
I barely made it back to the building last night before my battery died, I am told that there will be no new DIADS available for peak, and that the spares we are getting all have battery issues.
Did UPS think to equip the brand new $40K 2018 package car I am driving with a $10 USB port? No.
Did UPS have the foresight to equip its cars with DIAD chargers before going live with the MapNav/ no RDO program? No.
Did UPS stop to think that, to a driver like myself with 26 years of area knowledge, RDO and a DIAD that has the capacity to function for more than 9 hours without dying might be more valuable during peak season than a navigation system? No.
Transformation: when the concepts of common sense and planning ahead are “transformed” into forced stupidity and high tech gimmicks that fail the test of reality.
You are obsessed. This is not healthy man. I advise you to step away.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It would actually be a lot easier if I didnt give a :censored2:.
I guess I could just clock in, shut off my brain, follow ORION 100%, and either wait until the battery dies or work 14 hours, do less than half of my normal stops, and record the rest as “missed” at 10:30 every night.
You know...”transformation.”

That’s the easiest way to survive