Last Mile

AB831

In today's morning meeting, my manager told us that our volume is expected to drop in the next few weeks due to our region shifting significant amounts of our P2 to Ground. He said that Ground in the region has been completely blown out since the pandemic started, but that they are going ahead with it anyway. The Front Line video in the check out room was talking about it too. So.........changes are a'comin'

Gone fishin

In today's morning meeting, my manager told us that our volume is expected to drop in the next few weeks due to our region shifting significant amounts of our P2 to Ground. He said that Ground in the region has been completely blown out since the pandemic started, but that they are going ahead with it anyway. The Front Line video in the check out room was talking about it too. So.........changes are a'comin'
We’ve had it for over 3 months in our area. Didn’t notice it

Buhryein

So what you're saying is that I'm not going to get to foist my work on someone else that easily?
All depends on the type of route, if you're in an industrial, or mostly business area you'll likely not notice a big change at all in volume on your route.

AB831

All depends on the type of route, if you're in an industrial, or mostly business area you'll likely not notice a big change at all in volume on your route.
My route is almost 100% residential deliveries. I have a Pep Boys and a dentist or two, but other than that, it's houses and apartments.

Gone fishin

Nobody’s rt noticed anything. We still have extra rts everyday. Maybe it depends on your station. I don’t know how it works

It will be fine

Nobody’s rt noticed anything. We still have extra rts everyday. Maybe it depends on your station. I don’t know how it works
It’s all based on Ground’s network. If you’re in a remote area or out on the coasts not as much volume will still make the commits with Ground. If you’re smack in the center of the country on a residential route you’ll lose a lot of stops.

Gone fishin

It’s all based on Ground’s network. If you’re in a remote area or out on the coasts not as much volume will still make the commits with Ground. If you’re smack in the center of the country on a residential route you’ll lose a lot of stops.
What would you say about these states. Michigan Ohio Kentucky Tennessee

It will be fine

What would you say about these states. Michigan Ohio Kentucky Tennessee
The best way to get a guess of the impact is go to the Fedex ground service map and punch in your zip code. You’ll see how far the reach of 2 and 3 day pulls are for Ground. You can see what major markets might make a big impact.

Gone fishin

The best way to get a guess of the impact is go to the Fedex ground service map and punch in your zip code. You’ll see how far the reach of 2 and 3 day pulls are for Ground. You can see what major markets might make a big impact.
I’m from one of those and we haven’t missed a beat. Not sure if your station has to fit a certain criteria. Excessive overtime , turn over , size. I’m not sure , but we definitely deliver packages that ground could of easily made service

It will be fine

I’m from one of those and we haven’t missed a beat. Not sure if your station has to fit a certain criteria. Excessive overtime , turn over , size. I’m not sure , but we definitely deliver packages that ground could of easily made service
It’s still rolling out through the origin stations. They still have some control over destination zip codes as well. If a Ground station is behind they can keep that volume in the Express network. We’ve gotten quite a bit of Express but I’m not sure if the Express routes would notice it. Probably 20ish stops off each Express route in my area.

Gone fishin

It’s still rolling out through the origin stations. They still have some control over destination zip codes as well. If a Ground station is behind they can keep that volume in the Express network. We’ve gotten quite a bit of Express but I’m not sure if the Express routes would notice it. Probably 20ish stops off each Express route in my area.
We’ve had it for months and it’s not close to 20. Our whole region has had it months

Serf

I’m told if last mile actually works, it won’t get to Tri State Metro NY/NJ/CT & Parts of New England until the very end of the roll out.

AB831

I’m told if last mile actually works, it won’t get to Tri State Metro NY/NJ/CT & Parts of New England until the very end of the roll out.
Anything FedEx implements won't work, but historically, functionality isn't a condition of their implementations. So I'd expect it regardless, if I was you.

zeev

The last mile is the greatest cost I expect this will not go well. Two delivery systems side by side will be the company’s downfall.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The last mile is the greatest cost I expect this will not go well. Two delivery systems side by side will be the company’s downfall.
All because of the excessive zeal at keeping a union out. This will be most likely FedEx’s undoing in the end. Give it time.

bacha29

All because of the excessive zeal at keeping a union out. This will be most likely FedEx’s undoing in the end. Give it time.
As long as the firewall called "contractors" remains in place Ground will remain nonunion. The big questions going forward are how much power does Fat Freddy have to cede to contractors in order for that firewall to continue to stand and will the public interest require more industry regulation in the future and to what extent could it serve to weaken that firewall?

And BTW have you guys all heard that Fat Freddy is trying to buy Hermes?