Last Mile

McFeely

Huge Member
I'm legitimately curious how much money the company saves by getting these packages off planes and into trailers and delivered by FXG. I've been picking up 2-3 a day during my pickups, and maybe our entire station has 50 outbound each night.

If the company saved $1 net per package in labor/jet fuel/other expenses on every package and they do 100,000 of these packages a day? That's $100,000 saved, or in theory, extra profit for Express (which goes to shareholders and FS yay!). Anyway, just spitballing on those numbers but a daily amount saved could end up being a pretty good chunk of change in 12 months' time. And if sales can sell that free cargo space now available on the planes to high dollar shipments, even better (I lol'd typing that last line).

Not that Express drivers will see any of it, especially with the crazy talk of running 2 sorts and further ruining any efficiencies we can muster on road.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm legitimately curious how much money the company saves by getting these packages off planes and into trailers and delivered by FXG. I've been picking up 2-3 a day during my pickups, and maybe our entire station has 50 outbound each night.

If the company saved $1 net per package in labor/jet fuel/other expenses on every package and they do 100,000 of these packages a day? That's $100,000 saved, or in theory, extra profit for Express (which goes to shareholders and FS yay!). Anyway, just spitballing on those numbers but a daily amount saved could end up being a pretty good chunk of change in 12 months' time. And if sales can sell that free cargo space now available on the planes to high dollar shipments, even better (I lol'd typing that last line).[/QUOTE]

From FY19 annual report...

Deferred freight accounted for just over a million pieces of freight per day, $4.2 billion in revenue for the year, and collects just over $15 of revenue per piece.

They're going to save well beyond a buck a package on those. They're resis, and it will be rural areas that are most affected. The Express expense for these will be the pickup, PM sort at the origin station, and transportation to the ramp.

Not that Express drivers will see any of it, especially with the crazy talk of running 2 sorts and further ruining any efficiencies we can muster on road.

People are overreacting.

McFeely

Huge Member
Deferred freight accounted for just over a million pieces of freight per day, $4.2 billion in revenue for the year, and collects just over $15 of revenue per piece.

Informative. I hadn’t looked up the numbers. But even on the low side, $100k a day adds up. If the actuals are 5x or 10x that, it’s huge.

I still don’t think they plan on taking care of the Express couriers. They’ve shown that already for years.

59 Dano

Informative. I hadn’t looked up the numbers. But even on the low side, $100k a day adds up. If the actuals are 5x or 10x that, it’s huge.

They're shooting for much more than $100k a day and it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish once the LMO rollout is complete. In fact, $100k/day wouldn't be that much relative to the size of Express. Total Express operating expenses are $35 billion. Like you, I don't know what the target is or what the "worth it/not worth it" metric is. As of now they plan on focusing on those packages in PM areas where there's low volume and lots of driving (usually done by higher paid employees). It's a significant operational change and they expect it to yield significant results.

That said, it's not the be-all, end-all of changes. Others are coming. Richard Smith is going to be very busy over the next couple of years.

I still don’t think they plan on taking care of the Express couriers. They’ve shown that already for years.

Depends on what you mean by "take care of."

MAKAVELI

They're shooting for much more than $100k a day and it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish once the LMO rollout is complete. In fact, $100k/day wouldn't be that much relative to the size of Express. Total Express operating expenses are $35 billion. Like you, I don't know what the target is or what the "worth it/not worth it" metric is. As of now they plan on focusing on those packages in PM areas where there's low volume and lots of driving (usually done by higher paid employees). It's a significant operational change and they expect it to yield significant results.

That said, it's not the be-all, end-all of changes. Others are coming. Richard Smith is going to be very busy over the next couple of years.

Depends on what you mean by "take care of."
Right now it's just theory. They haven't proved it's saved anything.

It will be fine

Right now it's just theory. They haven't proved it's saved anything.
What’s the difference in retail rates between 2day and Ground? They’ve saved at least that much on every package. Shipper pays $10 for 2day. Express pays Ground $7. Express pockets $3. What more proof do you need?

59 Dano

What’s the difference in retail rates between 2day and Ground? They’ve saved at least that much on every package. Shipper pays $10 for 2day. Express pays Ground $7. Express pockets $3. What more proof do you need?

I went to the website and got a quote for full retail, no discount.

Package is 5 lbs, 10 X 5 X 3, and is traveling 276 miles to a residence.
Express 2 Day - $28
Ground - $11

I played around with different weights, dimensions, and destinations and the Express rate was always at least twice the price of the Ground rate.

The BIG money is in those resi overnights that can be serviced by Ground where the rate difference is 4:1 and 5:1.

MAKAVELI

That hasn't been proven. When FedEx can actually show the numbers you can claim that. Until then it's just theory.

59 Dano

You just fear you’re gonna lose your meaningless job.

Worst case scenario is they offer other people with much more seniority a VBO and give their work to me... KIND OF LIKE THEY DID LAST TIME AND WHEN THIS POSITION WAS CREATED.

It will be fine

That hasn't been proven. When FedEx can actually show the numbers you can claim that. Until then it's just theory.
I don’t follow your argument. Shippers are paying for Express 2day shipments. At most Express would pay Ground retail rates to deliver it, in reality I’m sure Express gets a discount. Express keeps the difference without doing the work, mostly profit. It’s not theoretical, it’s happening.

MAKAVELI

I don’t follow your argument. Shippers are paying for Express 2day shipments. At most Express would pay Ground retail rates to deliver it, in reality I’m sure Express gets a discount. Express keeps the difference without doing the work, mostly profit. It’s not theoretical, it’s happening.
There's more to it than simply handing it to ground. Pu and sort by Express, pu from Express to Ground network, loss of productivity in Express routes. Not exactly a cost saving move.

59 Dano

In the example I posted, the price difference is $17. If Express keeps that package, the profit is less than two bucks. If Express pays Ground FULL RETAIL, the profit is at least $10, and that's playing it safe.

vantexan

Probably will add up even more over time as couriers quit to find better paying jobs if this ultimately limits them to less than 40 hours. And older couriers might take their pension and leave, replaced by cheaper couriers. And over time they may be able to rework Express as a primarily part time workforce. A lot of scenarios possible that would result in more profits down the road.

59 Dano

There's more to it than simply handing it to ground. Pu and sort by Express, pu from Express to Ground network, loss of productivity in Express routes. Not exactly a cost saving move.

Express turns it over at the origin ramp. They don't transport it to the respective hub, they don't unload it and sort it again at the hub, they don't transport it to the destination ramp, they don't unload it and transport it to the destination station, they don't unload it and sort it at the destination station, and they don't make the final delivery. The Express expenses are slashed by more than half.

You're overlooking a LOT.

vantexan

Express turns it over at the origin ramp. They don't transport it to the respective hub, they don't unload it and sort it again at the hub, they don't transport it to the destination ramp, they don't unload it and transport it to the destination station, they don't unload it and sort it at the destination station, and they don't make the final delivery. The Express expenses are slashed by more than half.

You're overlooking a LOT.
Are you sure about that? Much of it will still be flown as Ground can't make next day everywhere.