Last Mile

AB831

I deliver to 2 major Bank office buildings. They can get 100+ docs if 20 are p1 that's a heavy p1 day. They will have to make adjustments and I think FedEx is counting on them increasing p1 freight. Wouldn't add any work or hours to fedex it would just add revenue.
Kind of a gamble.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Figure you go to a company that's used to getting all their docs in the AM in actuality they only have 2 p1s and 40 standards.

Companies will have to then consider having their product shipped at a higher cost p1 service.

You got it.

59 Dano

Kind of a gamble.

Not really. The marginal cost of splitting up that kind of stop is next to nothing and taking those PM packages out of the P1 cycle makes it easier to preserve P1 service. If they get more P1 volume from it, great. If not, no big deal.

Gone fishin

Should have been clearer: they are going to eliminate standalone stops in the P1 cycle. Poor wording on my part.

Now, it's entirely possible that they may split up some stops in certain circumstances. For example, a stop gets 1 or 2 P1 pieces and 25 afternoon pieces during the P1 cycle. It might be worth it to split that stop up. It's something that will be considered and would probably be administered at the market level, if implemented.

Oh geez. We were going to be the laughingstock of the industry because of the raggedy Ground trucks and ragamuffin Ground drivers. No one cares.
Not sure where you live , but where I live public appearance does matter. I saw a ground guy delivering with his shirt off last summer. Plenty of shipping options for people to change

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Sun’s out, guns out.
One of Ground’s finest.
upload_2020-6-7_19-40-18.jpeg

59 Dano

Not sure where you live , but where I live public appearance does matter. I saw a ground guy delivering with his shirt off last summer. Plenty of shipping options for people to change

Public appearance matters here, too, but no one cares about how the Ground guys are dressed.

bacha29

Here something that might help explain what's happening. Take a look at Ford and Volkswagen. It'so obvious the two would love to merge especially now that VW has bought out Navistar/International. But, they both know that it would never get past the U.S. and European antitrust regulators. So now they're going to design, build and market trucks and cars together stopping just short of a full merger.

Now look at Fat Freddy's situation. He needs to merge OPCO's , wants to merge OPCO's but not at the expense of losing his RLA exemption. So he's trying to do the same thing as Ford and VW with this cobbled together mess of trying to blend Express and Ground together stopping just short of a full and formal merger.

Now if he can muddle through, good for him. But if things get so bad that the entire house of cards starts collapsing he might have to undergo a full consolidation and take his chances with his RLA.

59 Dano

Here something that might help explain what's happening. Take a look at Ford and Volkswagen. It'so obvious the two would love to merge especially now that VW has bought out Navistar/International. But, they both know that it would never get past the U.S. and European antitrust regulators. So now they're going to design, build and market trucks and cars together stopping just short of a full merger.

Now look at Fat Freddy's situation. He needs to merge OPCO's , wants to merge OPCO's but not at the expense of losing his RLA exemption. So he's trying to do the same thing as Ford and VW with this cobbled together mess of trying to blend Express and Ground together stopping just short of a full and formal merger.

Now if he can muddle through, good for him. But if things get so bad that the entire house of cards starts collapsing he might have to undergo a full consolidation and take his chances with his RLA.

I love it when someone reads about something and then tries to apply it to something that isn't relevant in a vain effort to appear smart when everyone knows he isn't.

bacha29

I love it when someone reads about something and then tries to apply it to something that isn't relevant in a vain effort to appear smart when everyone knows he isn't.
Your comment once again serves to illustrate your deeply ingrained fear that changing market conditions and or a shift in the direction of political headwinds might place the future of Fat Freddy's exemption in a less secure position.

But don't be afraid Dano. Mama's going to keep baby safe but she is getting tired of always having to change your diaper every time somebody questions the future of the RLA exemption.

FedexGirl

Honestly - other than businesses, no one cares if you show up in a bunny costume as long as the packages get there on time

59 Dano

Your comment once again serves to illustrate your deeply ingrained fear that changing market conditions and or a shift in the direction of political headwinds might place the future of Fat Freddy's exemption in a less secure position.

But don't be afraid Dano. Mama's going to keep baby safe but she is getting tired of always having to change your diaper every time somebody questions the future of the RLA exemption.

What you know about the RLA exemption resembles the contents of a diaper.