Later start times a logistical or cost cutting effort.

ups1990

Our center keeps putting our start time later and later. My question is, are they trying to save money by having drivers start later or is it a problem of not being able to get all the feeders to our location in a timely matter?
If UPS thinks that by having us start 10 to 15 minutes later than the previous day, they are mistaken. Most likely a driver will have less time to delivery air and ground together causing him or her to run late. The time leading up to 1030 can dictate your work day.
Our hub sits in the most southern point of our district and so we get our trailers later than most other hubs. If this is the case for late start times, why don't they give us help with air deliveries? They're admitting we are at the end of the logistical solutions.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Both. It doesnt make sense for the drivers to start before the preload is wrapped up. Late trailers means late preload wrap.

SWORDFISH

I dont know your center manager so I can only speculate based on my experience and insider info and other info I have personally gathered for myself. My center manager will is crooked. He will do watever it takes to make himself look good. For instance he has moved our start time from 815-830 to 900am wich is the latest we are allowed to start. The reason for this is because if we start at 9am and take our 30min lunch that they want us to take(not an hr like most) then our 9.5hrs is at 7pm which is the time we must be in w/ our p/ups(I always drop mine when over dispatched). It works w/ 80% of our people. People hate him so much but at the same time they are so afraid of him that his tactics work. If people would wise up his plan would backfire and hours would go up but instead people do things to get done that they shouldnt be doing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just one more trick in the bag for fedex...they are already getting out to the businesses earlier in some cases than ups, in some situations this was one of the last bonuses of using ups, earlier delivery time...seems like were cutting our own throat at times. I respected what this company stood for at one time and was so proud to work here........

SWORDFISH

Just one more trick in the bag for fedex...they are already getting out to the businesses earlier in some cases than ups, in some situations this was one of the last bonuses of using ups, earlier delivery time...seems like were cutting our own throat at times. I respected what this company stood for at one time and was so proud to work here........

+1 I see fedex out delivering while Im driving to work.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I dont know your center manager so I can only speculate based on my experience and insider info and other info I have personally gathered for myself. My center manager will is crooked. He will do watever it takes to make himself look good. For instance he has moved our start time from 815-830 to 900am wich is the latest we are allowed to start. The reason for this is because if we start at 9am and take our 30min lunch that they want us to take(not an hr like most) then our 9.5hrs is at 7pm which is the time we must be in w/ our p/ups(I always drop mine when over dispatched). It works w/ 80% of our people. People hate him so much but at the same time they are so afraid of him that his tactics work. If people would wise up his plan would backfire and hours would go up but instead people do things to get done that they shouldnt be doing.

Frustrating...isnt it, especially knowing that ups could work everybody 9.5 hours a day, give them their lunch and breaks and do the job in an efficient and safe manner and still make a HUGE profit year after year. Yes you might have to write someone up on occasion, but a dialog of trust would would generate great teamwork which would help push the profits....sad that this will never happen.

blue efficacy

This is happening in the Night hub as well. I remember several years ago, start times of 10:45 were the norm between winter and peak.

Now 11:30 is the norm.

satellitedriver

In the new and improved UPS, the center manager has no direct control of how many pkg cars that can be run, or the start time.
Over dispatched is the norm and "other measures" are used to make the drivers numbers work in my center.
-(that is as far as I will go, on the dishonesty )-
What is going on in my center reminds me of the early 90's, when the entire center team got fired for dishonesty for not "honestly" making the numbers dictated by the DM.
Fine by me.
After 23 years, it is time for me to feed them fish heads.

SWORDFISH

In the new and improved UPS, the center manager has no direct control of how many pkg cars that can be run, or the start time.
Over dispatched is the norm and "other measures" are used to make the drivers numbers work in my center.
-(that is as far as I will go, on the dishonesty )-
What is going on in my center reminds me of the early 90's, when the entire center team got fired for dishonesty for not "honestly" making the numbers dictated by the DM.
Fine by me.
After 23 years, it is time for me to feed them fish heads.

Strange that the w/ the new center manager came a new start time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a 9:15 am start time. We are also the last stop on the feeder and air network and our start time reflects this. Our center manager will let us start early if the preload is wrapped but, as BBW said, it makes no sense to pay the 25-28 drivers $30/hr to help the preload wrap. I used to be able to easily get all of my NDA off in trace but now must break off. There is no air driver on Mondays and I have stopped asking for help the rest of the week as the air driver is already slammed.

You wouldn't think 15 minutes would be that big of a deal but it is huge.

Big Babooba

12 years ago, our start time was 8 AM. Now it's 8:45 AM. We used to be back earlier, the feeders used to leave earlier and the preload used to start earlier. Most NDA packages were delivered on trace. Everything went smoothly. Now it is a joke.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
+1 I see fedex out delivering while Im driving to work.

And that is why they own most of the air market. They are delivering at 8:00 AM where I am at, and Fedex Ground and Home Delivery are on the road before then. I work just a few miles South of the Atlanta airport, and our air trailers hit the Hub about 6:15. There is no excuse for a later start time, but they moved ours from 8:30 to 8:45 AM a couple of years ago. Customers want a premium service that they paid top dollar for as early in the mornig, not at the latest time that is convenient for UPS. I have a Fedex driver that lives on my area and he is through with his Priority Deliverys and is at home on break when I deliver NDA in his neighborhood. I think we need staggered start times and let our reidential drivers leave earlier and run some NDA off the commercial routes. Those drivers can start later so they can make pickups later.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When you are in an insulated office pushing paper you don't see what's happening on the street. For every 10 minutes later I leave, it costs me 20 plus a few extra miles running around. Fedex hits the industrial park in my town at 8, we get there at 9:30.

EmerCond421

When you are in an insulated office pushing paper you don't see what's happening on the street. For every 10 minutes later I leave, it costs me 20 plus a few extra miles running around. Fedex hits the industrial park in my town at 8, we get there at 9:30.

Wonder what ever happened to the push maybe 10 years ago about UPS being "1st on the street and the last off." Maybe we got the last off part right. :knockedout:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

UPS will not change the 1030 commit. If your in remote areas, you get extra time ! Thanks for the rumor.
A lot of our areas have a 1200 commit, and a couple have no commit, just get it there by end of day. I've seen 1200 commit areas go to 1030 and then a couple years later go back to 1200, and they tried to change at least one of our no commit areas to 1200. That lasted about 3 years and they went back to no commit time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many times have we busted our butts to get a NDA delivered by 1030 only to come back in the afternoon for the pickup and see it still sitting where we left it?