Later start times a logistical or cost cutting effort.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
How many times have we busted our butts to get a NDA delivered by 1030 only to come back in the afternoon for the pickup and see it still sitting where we left it?

Annoys me when your morning is ruined delivering a residential air to your farthest point only to see it there when you deliver ground there in the evening ! lol

when I first started 10yrs ago start time was 815. they've been pushing it back 5-10 mins every year. Start time now is 910. Barely get air done on time and punching out before 8 is an early day. Its horrible

SWORDFISH

I heard they are considering changing the next day commit time to 11:00 so they can start us even later.

Thank God that the latest allowable start time for us is 9am and we are already there.

Annoys me when your morning is ruined delivering a residential air to your farthest point only to see it there when you deliver ground there in the evening ! lol

Window time is awesome. I love these type of deliverys.

And that is why they own most of the air market. They are delivering at 8:00 AM where I am at, and Fedex Ground and Home Delivery are on the road before then. I work just a few miles South of the Atlanta airport, and our air trailers hit the Hub about 6:15. There is no excuse for a later start time, but they moved ours from 8:30 to 8:45 AM a couple of years ago. Customers want a premium service that they paid top dollar for as early in the mornig, not at the latest time that is convenient for UPS. I have a Fedex driver that lives on my area and he is through with his Priority Deliverys and is at home on break when I deliver NDA in his neighborhood. I think we need staggered start times and let our reidential drivers leave earlier and run some NDA off the commercial routes. Those drivers can start later so they can make pickups later.

When you are in an insulated office pushing paper you don't see what's happening on the street. For every 10 minutes later I leave, it costs me 20 plus a few extra miles running around. Fedex hits the industrial park in my town at 8, we get there at 9:30.

when I first started 10yrs ago start time was 815. they've been pushing it back 5-10 mins every year. Start time now is 910. Barely get air done on time and punching out before 8 is an early day. Its horrible

Im starting to wonder if what was said to me earlier is right. I thought it was just my center manager but maybe it is a corporate thing and it just happend to be near the same time we got our new center manager. I think that UPS is pushing start times later country wide now. I would bet they do it because people will work much harder and skip breaks, lunches , etc. to get home to their families. I think its working to because I see so many people and hear about so many people doing this. If people would work at a normal pace take all thier breaks and lunch and call in for help then I believe the trend will reverse(I seem to always have to call for help on fridays because they tend to think you will kill yourself to get to the weekend). UPS will try and make up excuses as to why the start times have changed so drasticallly but do your own research and see if it checks out. It doesnt in my centers case. UPS will start losing money on this BS game they are playing and they will stop doing it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Believe me Swordfish, no center manager including the ones mentioned on this forum, like starting late. Our hands are tied, we cannot do anything till all the loads get processed on the preload, then the (late) cycle starts all over again.

We are all about:

You start earlier

Customer gets packages earlier

You get back earlier

You go home earlier

I go home earlier

:whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag:.......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Believe me Swordfish, no center manager including the ones mentioned on this forum, like starting late. Our hands are tied, we cannot do anything till all the loads get processed on the preload, then the (late) cycle starts all over again.

We are all about:

You start earlier

You get back earlier

You go home earlier

I go home earlier

I would add that most dont like being on car with drivers either, especially 3 days rides but they are being told to do this.....comming from the top down.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

In the new and improved UPS, the center manager has no direct control of how many pkg cars that can be run, or the start time.
Over dispatched is the norm and "other measures" are used to make the drivers numbers work in my center.
-(that is as far as I will go, on the dishonesty )-
What is going on in my center reminds me of the early 90's, when the entire center team got fired for dishonesty for not "honestly" making the numbers dictated by the DM.
Fine by me.
After 23 years, it is time for me to feed them fish heads.

this seems to be a no win situation..too many expectations that cannot be met...period without doing things dishonestly....happening on both sides. Do the folks who are dictating these agendas actually believe that they can be reached honestly, or expect major corners to be cut//books being cooked???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And that is why they own most of the air market. They are delivering at 8:00 AM where I am at, and Fedex Ground and Home Delivery are on the road before then. I work just a few miles South of the Atlanta airport, and our air trailers hit the Hub about 6:15. There is no excuse for a later start time, but they moved ours from 8:30 to 8:45 AM a couple of years ago. Customers want a premium service that they paid top dollar for as early in the mornig, not at the latest time that is convenient for UPS. I have a Fedex driver that lives on my area and he is through with his Priority Deliverys and is at home on break when I deliver NDA in his neighborhood. I think we need staggered start times and let our reidential drivers leave earlier and run some NDA off the commercial routes. Those drivers can start later so they can make pickups later.

So they were just beating ups on price, now its service too....is there anybody who finds this disturbing besides me????

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Mgt says that ups has to be the ones out there late to cover late pu's for our customers, that is what they expect but there have been many times where a business has fedex pick up at 3 and ups has a late close out at 7, but fedex is actually picking up more than ups including most of the premium stuff...so basically were going there at 7 to pick up 20 ground pkgs. I always wonder why fedex doesnt pick up at 7...well I guess they have told their customers that they dont do that, and that really doesnt affect the business that fedex is getting. Fedex seems to be making a nice profit without working their employees until 8 pm...yes there is that occasional fedex ground guy out there burning the midnight oil next to the ups chumps...but that is the exception.

DS

Fenderbender
I think we need staggered start times and let our reidential drivers leave earlier and run some NDA off the commercial routes. Those drivers can start later so they can make pickups later.

I have said this for years.my idea was to have a second wave of drivers start at 10 AM to insure all commits were made,all packages delivered,all pickups completed,and everyone under 9.5

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have said this for years.my idea was to have a second wave of drivers start at 10 AM to insure all commits were made,all packages delivered,all pickups completed,and everyone under 9.5

Company has made it clear they cannot make a profit with drivers working 9.5 hours or less. Fedex makes a profit working their drivers 8 hours a day.

DS

Fenderbender
Company has made it clear they cannot make a profit with drivers working 9.5 hours or less. Fedex makes a profit working their drivers 8 hours a day.
Sorry but this makes no sense.How have they made this clear? by overdispatching? and hoping the driver will skip his break?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sorry but this makes no sense.How have they made this clear? by overdispatching? and hoping the driver will skip his break?

Yep and changing the allowance to show a route loosing time, well cant have that now..add 30 stops. Theres going to be a breaking point..if it hasnt already come. You can only micromanage so much, you can only have so much technology, before the whole thing goes haywire. Sooner or later you have to fight the real common enemy... fedex...is it really that hard, maybe Im missing something.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

DS, they havent come and and say it, just through recent actions that seem pretty extreme...beyond an economy thing. Many things happening really have no correlation with a cost savings...in some cases spending more.

satellitedriver

We are all about:

You start earlier

You get back earlier

You go home earlier

You are correct, until you stated this;

I go home earlier

When I punch out at 9:45pm -(which is my standard punch)-, my sup's, from DM, to On Road, have been long gone.
It is not due to late "wrap up" on pre-load, it is due to the last minute add/cuts micro-managed decisions from Division.
Stops per car is the new math/mantra and that dictates how many cars that can be run out of a Center.
What boggles my mind is that all pkg's going to any center is known by 9:00pm the previous day.
Often, my center manager gets a call from the DM to cut out 3 cars 15 minutes before start time, just to meet the SPC.
The scramble of add/ cuts begins,
later start,
pkgs unloaded and crammed into already loaded cars, ect...

IMHO,
If the job of a DM is to micro-manage their district, then they should be in the office until all the reports come in about the known quantity of the next days load.
Nah,
that ain't gonna happen.
It is just easier for the DM to come to the office, grab a cup of coffee, read the reports and make a conference call to the centers and tell them to make the numbers work.
-( I know that my synopsis is very simplified version of a DM's duties)-
but, I also know what tactics are being used in centers to meet the divisions goal.
The present 'economy" is the excuse, and the union has turned a blind eye to the"abuse".

All that being said,
I would like to Thank the person's/people / him/ her/ MS/ Mr./and any other politically correct term, for increasing my take home pay.
I am banking that $500 a week OT you needlessly pay me,
while you think you are being frugal and efficient.

Kindest Regards,

Steve

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Yep scrambling to cut 2 cars out 10 minutes before start time=scrambling at 530 to help 10 people who are over dispatched and have 50 stops left. There will be a time where it is CHEAPER to run a couple of extra cars and keep everybody at minimum overtime....you dont sound one bit angry:angry:

Dragon

Package Center Manager

You left out a person in this equation.

Where is the PDS?

He should have built the plan (using EPD if he has it) around 1 am.

If your center is cutting 3 routes 15 min before start time to make SPC, its not the DM's fault its the the PDS fault first followed by center manager.
:dissapointed::dissapointed:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dragon, you mentioned that if we start early we will get done early. For the most part you are right but we have a couple of drivers in my center who will finish at the same time no matter what time we start.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dragon, you mentioned that if we start early we will get done early. For the most part you are right but we have a couple of drivers in my center who will finish at the same time no matter what time we start.
I love having a guy like that in my loop, you know who's going to get the biggest split when they cut a route :happy-very:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Where is the PDS?

Standing at his computer station 5 minutes before start time juggling stops.

Interesting though, our new Division Manager wants to move our start time back 20 minutes to 830 from 850. More stops per day?:biting: