Lay offs

Vikings88

I work pre load and have been working with UPS for 8 months. A couple people got hired for pre load a couple months after me and they got moved up to be a driver during peak season (I am not 21 yet so I couldn’t drive during peak), and now that they are back down to pre load our hub is telling us that they are now the most senior guys in the hub even over the 2+ year guys... problem is that puts me near the bottom of the list after recent layoffs, and rumor is they are going to lay off more. Is it right that they would lay me off over those people that were drivers and have been there for a couple months less than me? TIA

Nah
I work pre load and have been working with UPS for 8 months. A couple people got hired for pre load a couple months after me and they got moved up to be a driver during peak season (I am not 21 yet so I couldn’t drive during peak), and now that they are back down to pre load our hub is telling us that they are now the most senior guys in the hub even over the 2+ year guys... problem is that puts me near the bottom of the list after recent layoffs, and rumor is they are going to lay off more. Is it right that they would lay me off over those people that were drivers and have been there for a couple months less than me? TIA

What supplement are you covered by? In the central, drivers who come back inside must have more company seniority than those they displace.

If you have any supervisors performing work, now would be a good time to grieve them for it.

Are they full time drivers?
Because where I'm at Full time seniority Trump's part time.

Vikings88

What supplement are you covered by? In the central, drivers who come back inside must have more company seniority than those they displace.

If you have any supervisors performing work, now would be a good time to grieve them for it.
That makes sense, must be what it is then. Just frustrating when I’ve been here longer and now I might get laid off because of lack of volume.

Nah
That makes sense, must be what it is then. Just frustrating when I’ve been here longer and now I might get laid off because of lack of volume.

You didn't understand me, friend. If you are covered by the central region supplement, they have to have more company seniority than you to bump you. Based on what you said, it sounds like they have less company seniority than you. So they should be completely out of work before you are.

But again, this is only true if you're in the Central. I don't know what other supplements say.

Vikings88

You didn't understand me, friend. If you are covered by the central region supplement, they have to have more company seniority than you to bump you. Based on what you said, it sounds like they have less company seniority than you. So they should be completely out of work before you are.

But again, this is only true if you're in the Central. I don't know what other supplements say.
Sorry I guess I did misunderstand! I’m not sure what supplement I’m on, is that the union? I am in Arizona so I believe I am on the Western or Southwestern if we are referring to the same thing

Nah
Sorry I guess I did misunderstand! I’m not sure what supplement I’m on, is that the union? I am in Arizona so I believe I am on the Western or Southwestern if we are referring to the same thing

Probably not in the central then. Just ignore everything I said and either talk to your steward or find out who your business agent is and call him.

Nah
I just also want to say, don't get so discouraged if you are laid off for a while. It's only temporary. You will come to expect things like this during this time of the year. It's normal.

542thruNthru

You're western region and southwest package/sort rider like me.

Going off of just what you said...

The guys that went driving either went as cover drivers or seasonal drivers. Either way they do not have more seniority than you when it comes to preload.

They do have more center seniority if you were to become a cover driver after them but that's a whole different issue.

File a grievance if they are violating your seniority.

Vikings88

You're western region and southwest package/sort rider like me.

Going off of just what you said...

The guys that went driving either went as cover drivers or seasonal drivers. Either way they do not have more seniority than you when it comes to preload.

They do have more center seniority if you were to become a cover driver after them but that's a whole different issue.

File a grievance if they are violating your seniority.
Gotcha, that’s how I thought it should be. I will talk to them about it tomorrow, thank you!

542thruNthru

Gotcha, that’s how I thought it should be. I will talk to them about it tomorrow, thank you!

You should get all the facts though. Find out what they went driving as. Find out who your shop steward is and speak with him or her if you feel your seniority is being violated.

You only have 8 months. To be honest as long as you're not being laid off I can't imagine too much they could be doing to violate your seniority.

Vikings88

You should get all the facts though. Find out what they went driving as. Find out who your shop steward is and speak with him or her if you feel your seniority is being violated.

You only have 8 months. To be honest as long as you're not being laid off I can't imagine too much they could be doing to violate your seniority.
Yes I agree, I am fine with staying later than others, doing less desired jobs, etc. but the rumor is they are laying off 3 people and I’m third from the bottom when I should be 5th from the bottom but they are considering those two drivers above me. I will definitely talk to my steward about it in the morning though

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I don't see clear language in the Western region contract, my local rider however goes on about comparing company (first hire date) seniority before displacing the least senior employee. I believe the vanilla WR language implies that FT employees are absolutely above PT employees in terms of layoff, however.
Try to search your local contract under the package driver section.

542thruNthru

I don't see clear language in the Western region contract, my local rider however goes on about comparing company (first hire date) seniority before displacing the least senior employee. I believe the vanilla WR language implies that FT employees are absolutely above PT employees in terms of layoff, however.
Try to search your local contract under the package driver section.

In his rider FT employees can displace the lowest PT employee.

But I believe the 2 drivers that were sent back to preload were not FT driver. They would have had to qualify and if they did 5 weeks at most they never did.

Justaloader

^^^^^^This is the entire friend**ng problem with our Union membership.

Not like anyone at UPS tells you this information. Hell, I had to come to this website to find anything out about my supplement, review the master contract and my specific supplement, etc. When I asked HR and my steward for a copy of the contract and info about the union, I was told "you can find it online".