Lay the Blame Where it Belongs.....The Members.

F

Frankie's Friend

I don't have the numbers of members in right to work states versus non right to work states in front of me. But it's probably safe to assume that the western part of the country combined with the South, both of which make up most of the right to work states, more than equals enough members to matter. I know my state (Tennessee) has more buildings in it than most. Or that's what our district manager told us anyway.

If I remember correctly there are 27 right to work states and 23 non right to work states.
I just wasted 10 min of my life to gain nothing from this issue.
The country was apathetic in voting for a Pres, the members of the Teamsters union were apathetic in voting in the election that left Hoffa in power, and the voting % was higher than all of these other issues but yet we are worse than the rest of the country in priorities?
I dont think so. I believe there's leaders that need a dose of reality right along with the general public.
We wont fix it because we haven't truly suffered enough long enough.

BrownRecycler

My local 710 doesn't vote and there are (20) 710 Teamsters. 50% said Yes and 50% said No. So, A. Secret Society Exist or B. I don't know what to think of this hidden members.

Meanwhile, I want to vote but can't because of the independent system.

I think people are neglectful and don't want to do the work helping new people toward union culture. The contract focus too much on driver and not enough on the package handler and sorter. It isn't just about the money and hours.

Overpaid Union Thug

I just wasted 10 min of my life to gain nothing from this issue.
The country was apathetic in voting for a Pres, the members of the Teamsters union were apathetic in voting in the election that left Hoffa in power, and the voting % was higher than all of these other issues but yet we are worse than the rest of the country in priorities?
I dont think so. I believe there's leaders that need a dose of reality right along with the general public.
We wont fix it because we haven't truly suffered enough long enough.
Apathy and ignorance are the only true dangers to unions. Any other obstacle is null without them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Anyone have an answer about what guidelines the union uses to determine who is an eligible voter for contract votes? Until that is clarified, I don't take for granted that a majority of members said they "don't care". How do they come up with a percentage of eligible voters when "eligible voters" is not defined? How can the numbers be verified, or even challenged? How can they invoke a 50% 2/3 rule when the term that said rule is based on is undefined?

We authorized a strike, so the assertion that the constitution required ratification under the circumstances is baseless. The General President has final say on questions about article 12, but did anyone actually ask him questions, or did everyone assume? Did he issue any statements regarding the answer to any questions?

How are non-voting members held accountable? Why do voting members get lumped in with non-voting members when assigning blame? Who is verifying that the vote was handled properly? Not just the count, but who was in charge of making sure eligible voters were sent ballots? How did they know who were eligible? Who was in charge of following up to make sure members got their ballots?

I say there's plenty of questions that need to be answered, and there is plenty of blame to go around. The only ones not to blame? Voting members. Prove me wrong.

Overpaid Union Thug

Anyone have an answer about what guidelines the union uses to determine who is an eligible voter for contract votes? Until that is clarified, I don't take for granted that a majority of members said they "don't care". How do they come up with a percentage of eligible voters when "eligible voters" is not defined? How can the numbers be verified, or even challenged? How can they invoke a 50% 2/3 rule when the term that said rule is based on is undefined?

We authorized a strike, so the assertion that the constitution required ratification under the circumstances is baseless. The General President has final say on questions about article 12, but did anyone actually ask him questions, or did everyone assume? Did he issue any statements regarding the answer to any questions?

How are non-voting members held accountable? Why do voting members get lumped in with non-voting members when assigning blame? Who is verifying that the vote was handled properly? Not just the count, but who was in charge of making sure eligible voters were sent ballots? How did they know who were eligible? Who was in charge of following up to make sure members got their ballots?

I say there's plenty of questions that need to be answered, and there is plenty of blame to go around. The only ones not to blame? Voting members. Prove me wrong.

All valid questions. But if more people had bothered to enter a simple code on a website and click "yes" or "no" then we'd likely be discussing re-negotiations here instead of having multiple threads about who and why we had ended up having a vote for nothing.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
All valid questions. But if more people had bothered to enter a simple code on a website and click "yes" or "no" then we'd likely be discussing re-negotiations here instead of having multiple threads about who and why we had ended up having a vote for nothing.

There's no way to hold non-voting members accountable, so why make that the focus? They are the only members to blame, but all you can do about them is weep and gnash teeth. Let's focus on the things we can do something about, like verifying that we actually had a fair vote. If it was all done properly, great. I don't see how it could have been, or how such could be verified, if "eligible voter" is undefined. Did the Union actually bargain in good faith? I think there is evidence they did not, or at least enough to justify opening an investigation. But people want to roll over, take it, and blame the untouchables for everything. I won't take that path.

Overpaid Union Thug

There's no way to hold non-voting members accountable, so why make that the focus? They are the only members to blame, but all you can do about them is weep and gnash teeth. Let's focus on the things we can do something about, like verifying that we actually had a fair vote. If it was all done properly, great. I don't see how it could have been, or how such could be verified, if "eligible voter" is undefined. Did the Union actually bargain in good faith? I think there is evidence they did not, or at least enough to justify opening an investigation. But people want to roll over, take it, and blame the untouchables for everything. I won't take that path.

images

Jim Rockford

"muh IBT constitution" or no. I really didnt think the IBT would be this dumb, in 2018, to impose a NATIONAL contract. Just mind blowingly stupid. It'll deserve everything coming to it.

F

Frankie's Friend

Without apathy and ignorance corruption and dishonesty would have a hard time thriving.
Those issues have plagued the union and others for years. This cba showed the greatest voting turn out I've seen in almost 30 years. It was declared weak by the weak negotiators and now it's our fault? Whatever.

BrownRecycler

I want to know who the mysterious voter because it is one thing to have an accurate truthful election but another to have a ghost that didn't vote. They were those who didn't get the ballot but logged as "didn't vote" after rubber stamp as eligible.

The evidence isn't in the election but in the ghost network, the people who didn't get the ballot but was marked as eligible voter.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I want to know who the mysterious voter because it is one thing to have an accurate truthful election but another to have a ghost that didn't vote. They were those who didn't get the ballot but logged as "didn't vote" after rubber stamp as eligible.

The evidence isn't in the election but in the ghost network, the people who didn't get the ballot but was marked as eligible voter.

People can't complain about not receiving a ballot, when they had almost

a month.... to request a duplicate.

Inthegame

You're chasing ghosts. Have you ever been involved in your local union officer elections? Give that a try and your questions will be answered.

The process isn't the issue.

Eligible voters are members current with dues. The IBT (as one would assume) keeps a close eye on this. Anyone not current gets flagged (off work for a month could affect eligibility) and their ballots are then checked for eligibility before being counted. That's why the outer envelopes must have member names on them.

Candidates (elections) and interested parties (contracts) have rights to observe the entire process including questioning eligibility of any ballot, mailing and counting.

Very few ballots (% wise) are questioned. If the decision is close enough that challenged ballots could impact the results, additional efforts are made to determine eligibility.

Your local union could have elections this fall. Might be a good opportunity to learn.

panther

Here's what I find disheartening. All the fliers in the mail and emails and text messages about "updates" and not once were the bylaws about contract ratification or rejection ever mentioned. Not even at the contract meeting. I knew about them and was telling and informing folks, but it just seems odd that it never was addressed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don’t think I have ever seen anyone beat their own chest and gloat as much as you have over this subject. In my opinion, you are the sorriest “winner” I have ever seen. Why are you so happy about this? You’re like a child that stomped their feet for a candybar and the sucker parent gave it to you at the supermarket.
Not to mention changed his story and what he was "predicting" about 15 times.