Layoffs after Christmas

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Layoff's are starting here on Monday. I was informed on Friday that I was on the list.

Layoff's before peak.... how wonderful. Can't wait until after peak. My state's unemployment rate is at the highest in 16 years.

I GOT ONE MORE

Helen is right. Prepare yourself.
Look around folks, the financial crisis in this country and around the world is staggering. Until home prices stabilize, the economy will continue to gut itself. The consumer is scared and re-prioritizing purchases and will be consuming much less into the foreseeable future and that will drive down workforce levels across the board including UPS.
UPS is a company that reacts well to expansion and equally well to contraction. They will and should react to market demands.
We are down thousands of packages daily this year compared to last year. This will likely be the easiest peak in decades, in terms of volume.

I don't like sounding like a pessimist, but the realist in me, sees a minimum 10% reduction in staffing levels.

Those gift cards won't be as abundant as some hope. Change is coming......PREPARE

helenofcalifornia

Hef, Upstate, Cove, I think we can all agree that UPS is doing things that they never have before. Mandatory layoffs, without giving other drivers the option of going home, is one of them. May be a good business move in that they save on the monthly health benefits of those that choose to not work two part time shifts.

And unemployment benefits? How is $280 a week going pay bills when you are used to taking home at least 2-3 times that a week??

The economy is still tanking, it's not getting better, it's getting worse. I am still seeing the "For Sale" signs popping up all over my neigborhood. For the most part, I am an upbeat, glass half full type of a person. I just think we should not have our head in a hole ignoring what is going around us. Internet sales in January are not going to save us from layoffs.

Anybody from feeders have post Christmas volume projections or layoff plans that they have heard of? I sincerely hope that my doom and gloom is all for naught.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Layoff's are starting here on Monday. I was informed on Friday that I was on the list.

Layoff's before peak.... how wonderful. Can't wait until after peak. My state's unemployment rate is at the highest in 16 years.
-
Sorry to hear that Santa.
Theory and objective observations don't mean much when it happens to you.
Good luck and hope this economy turns around quick.

laguna ike

Our center has already laid off all 12 cover drivers and the rumors say that some full time utility will also be laid off. I've heard mixed messages about full time layoffs. some people tell me that full timers can't go back to work in the building... I couldn't get hold of my shop steward on friday, and the uncertainty is nagging at me. When a full-timer is laid off, does he lose his benefits. From what I've read here, it appears that collecting unemployment is the best option... This is all pretty new to me, I never thought it would get this bad.....

Overpaid Union Thug

We are up alot of drivers drivers right now and have not even started training seasonal yet. Rumors are flying right now that we could see lay offs in the next week or so. I believe the only reason we have not seen any yet is our new contract is in effect and we keep our current wage for lay offs. Ups does not want to pay us almost $29 an hour to unload/load trailers while they can pay someone $9 to do it.

I have suggested that they put up rlo sign ups sheets for anyone that is interested in taking an extra week unpaid. Feeder already has these sign up sheets up.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the economy turns around and quick, if it doesnt my family will even cut back on gifts from santa this year for the kids, and of course i can actually give the wife a lump of coal in her stocking.

Here we go back to "hub pay" if we are laid off more than seven consecutive days. It sucks but I don't see us having the exodus of layoffs that others are fearful of. We are really close to an army base and a majority of the troops are returning from Iraq in November/December. Anyone that deploys usually comes back with a truck load of cash. Especially the Army because they deploy for so long. This will help us a bunch here. Being close to any major military installation usually helps the local economy. There is allot of steady income there.

I GOT ONE MORE

Here we go back to "hub pay" if we are laid off more than seven consecutive days. It sucks but I don't see us having the exodus of layoffs that others are fearful of. We are really close to an army base and a majority of the troops are returning from Iraq in November/December. Anyone that deploys usually comes back with a truck load of cash. Especially the Army because they deploy for so long. This will help us a bunch here. Being close to any major military installation usually helps the local economy. There is allot of steady income there.

Gotta think macro. The micro mentality will sustain some areas here and there a little longer, but "the big picture" is gonna hose us all for the next 12-18 months.

Be very thankful if you have some seniority at a company that can weather the time period.

My guess........... and it's just a guess, because I'm just a truck driver.......10% unemployment rate this time next year.

NedFlanders

anyone know how this works?

I have a question about the layoffs. I have been a ft cover driver for 1 year. I know it takes somewhere around 24 months to reach top pay. If i get laid off and later re-hired as a driver does my pay progression start over? that doesnt seem fair if true.

i mean a driver could be one week away from top pay an be laid off, then rehired and have to start over?

any idea how this works?

I have a question about the layoffs. I have been a ft cover driver for 1 year. I know it takes somewhere around 24 months to reach top pay. If i get laid off and later re-hired as a driver does my pay progression start over? that doesnt seem fair if true.

i mean a driver could be one week away from top pay an be laid off, then rehired and have to start over?

any idea how this works?

No, you do not start over in pay progression. At least in my area.

I GOT ONE MORE

Great article, but the last part sums it up best. Read it and re read it.....soak it in. Lots and lots of info like this out there. THE ECONOMY IS ASSOCIATED WITH A SUCKING SOUND.

Layoffs Starting to Spread As US Recession Looms

Shockwaves from the global financial crisis are now being felt in almost every corner of working America as companies press the eject button on increasing numbers of their employees.

While the ax has been falling for months in the financial, homebuilding and auto industries—where the current economic downturn started—makers of everything from soft drinks to water filtration systems have unveiled rounds of job cuts in recent weeks as they brace for what could become a long and deep recession.

This week alone, companies including PepsiCo and Danaher said they would lay off thousands of workers, while the state of Massachusetts disclosed plans to cut its payroll by 1,000 as it faces a tax shortfall.

The situation is poised to worsen as the holidays approach as many businesses scrutinize budgets for the coming year. Christmas layoffs are common in tough times.

"It's a fairly grim outlook," said Michael Goodman, director of economic and public policy research at the Donahue Institute of the University of Massachusetts. "I don't know of any sector of the economy that will be spared."

A four-week moving average of new U.S. government jobless claims last week hit its highest point in seven years.

Ed Yardeni, chief investment strategist for Yardeni Research, is hoping that the U.S. government's $700 billion bailout package will slow the job cuts.

"If this rescue plan doesn't work, then...you could see something much worse that could feel like a recession or a depression, with all sorts of people losing jobs," he said.

A survey of more than 100 chief financial officers and other senior executives—conducted Wednesday—found 56 percent expect to reduce payrolls over the coming year.

A majority polled by CFO Magazine also predicted falling revenues and plan to cut operating costs by at least 5 percent.

Workers are scared.

Some 47 percent polled last month by Workplace Options said news of the financial crisis made them fearful about job security, and 25 percent said they had begun scanning help-wanted ads or updating their resumes.

"I'm being more conservative about spending, I'm concerned," said Donald Gaunt, a 52-year-old construction worker from Smithville, Rhode Island, who said he had work through the end of this year but wasn't sure about 2009. "It hasn't been this bad since the early 1980s."

Workers in the financial sector, as well as those related to home building and at the Detroit automakers, have been hit by round after round of layoffs this year.

The failure of investment banks Lehman Brothers Holdings and Bear Stearns resulted in tens of thousands of people losing their jobs, but even banks that have survived the crisis, including Bank of America have cut head count dramatically.

General Motors said this week that it would close plants in Michigan, Wisconsin and Delaware and cut more than 4,000 jobs. That's already started to ripple.

U.S. auto supplier BorgWarner said Friday it plans to cut up to 1,250 jobs in the United States—250 more than previously planned—in response to production cutbacks by carmakers it supplies.

And the layoffs are spreading into other sectors:

—PepsiCo Tuesday said it would cut 3,300 jobs, almost 2 percent of its work force, in a bid to cut costs.

—Danaher, which also makes Craftsman tools, said Thursday it would lay off 1,000 workers and close 12 plants.

—Rockwell Automation said it would lay off about 3 percent of its staff, or 600 people.

That news came on Sept. 30, the last day of the U.S. manufacturer's fiscal year.

—Textron, the world's largest maker of corporate jets, said an unspecified number of jobs would be cut as it scales back its financial operation.

—Leggett & Platt, which makes bed springs and store shelving, said it was cutting back hours at some factories and, in the words of Chief Executive Dave Haffner, "must move to reduce staff. We are already doing so." It did not disclose the number of jobs it plans to eliminate.

Temporary employment also may prove harder to find.

Consumer electronics retailer Best Buy, which normally bulks up staffing in the holiday season, plans to cut seasonal hiring by as many as 10,000 workers this year.

"When we see job losses and rising unemployment, this does not just affect those who lost their job," said Lawrence Mishel, president of the partly labor-funded Economic Policy Institute think tank.

"Wages grow more slowly when there's higher unemployment, so the downturn will be affecting most working families through reduced hours of work ...

This is not something that affects a small part of the workforce." With the pace of layoffs picking up, the cycle becomes a vicious one, pressuring consumer spending and hurting home values yet again.

"As people lose their jobs, they cut back on their consumption, and people are less able to afford their mortgages, which are already strained.

And so people lose their houses, which continues to aggravate the financial problems.

So it's reinforcing in that way and it's also spreading," said Ron Blackwell, chief economist at the AFL-CIO, the largest U.S. labor federation.

"This recession—and I didn't see it this way a month ago—is going to be global in scope."

UPSGUY72

Usually center cut some routes after peak but to tell you the truth going from 40 to 20 something routes is totally unbelievable I mean lets use some common sense here. Who ever told you that is either a idiot or trying to make you look like and idiot.

I could see if something major happen like QVC, Amazon, Walmart, and every other big store went out of business at the same time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When we are laid off here you keep your current rate of pay for the duration of the layoff, no going back to inside ptime rate.

If they do lay off in january again its very important to enforce your 8 hour language requests and 9.5 language, if not you will be out there again 11 and 12 hours while others are on lay off.

leastbest

LeastBest
I'm not too worried about layoffs. I have 31 years driving so I'm reasonably secure. It's the young guys who run without breaks and down the red bull that will be hurting. I don't feel sorry for them. Guys are laid off because they skip their breaks and run.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I'm not too worried about layoffs. I have 31 years driving so I'm reasonably secure. It's the young guys who run without breaks and down the red bull that will be hurting. I don't feel sorry for them. Guys are laid off because they skip their breaks and run.

That's a pretty general statement. I'm 34, don't run, take lunch and breaks and hate Redbull. They are laying off 15 drivers in my hub. I'm one of them, today was the first day back inside.

Maybe some of the older guys should retire already.....:huh:

rod

Retired 22 years
That's a pretty general statement. I'm 34, don't run, take lunch and breaks and hate Redbull. They are laying off 15 drivers in my hub. I'm one of them, today was the first day back inside.

Maybe some of the older guys should retire already.....:huh:

touche!

NedFlanders

why are guys laid off for skipping their break and running?

aren't they are being laid off because they have the least seniority.
am i missing something here?

over9five

Staff member
why are guys laid off for skipping their break and running?

aren't they are being laid off because they have the least seniority.
am i missing something here?

What they meant is if EVERYONE took all their breaks and lunch when they are supposed to, we would need more drivers, not less.

When you skip lunch or breaks, you are doing work that could be done by another driver, by someone who wants ot, by putting another route in, etc.