Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Show me a business case where shareholders punished C-suite. There is always a big severance agreement.
They will lose their jobs.
Just like the managers they are letting go now.

Severance is being offered to the current managers, as far as I know.

GameCockFan

If you have 50 drivers running 2 hrs OT each or even 1hr each, they would absolutely save money by running more routes. Especially if they are laying FT drivers off anyways
Well, let's see:
2hrs X 50 drivers X $66.51 X 5 days X 52 weeks = $ 1, 729, 260

100 hrs/8 hrs is 12.5 new routes. X 40 hrs X $44.34 X 52 weeks = $ 1, 152, 840
Benefits for those 12.5 new routes @ $800/week = $520,0000
14 new package cars @ 40K each $560K
additional fuel/maintenance $100k
addition part-timer to load cars and their benefits $125K

OT = $1,729,260
12 drivers. $2, 457, 840

Closer than I thought but, OT is cheaper

anonymous23456

Much less than she'll get if she grows the company.
That is true, but she isn't in it for money anymore. She has made oodles from Home Depot.

In 2022, Tomé brought in nearly $19 million in total compensation last year, down from $27.6 million in 2021. She has been around for 3 years. She wants to push for maximum profit for shareholders and wants to leave with a reputation as a CEO that will make UPS extremely profitable.

First, she needs to correct her input in buying Coyote Logistics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tome was a member of the UPS Board of Directors when UPS acquired Coyote in 2015, "but the strategic rationale was really about expanding the portfolio," she said. "And it was a very thoughtful strategic rationale to expand the portfolio. But I don't think we fully understood at the time just how cyclical this business is."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL. OK, lady...you worked for Home Depot and you don't think this business is "cyclical".

Last edited:

RangerMan06

Well, let's see:

OT = $1,729,260
12 drivers. $2, 457, 840

Don't need new package cars or more loaders. Fuel would be nearly the same or less. Already paying benefits for the drivers as well. Don't forget the millions in penalty pay

dudebro

You're aware of what the shareholders will do to them if they destroy the company, yes?

Our fates are very intertwined. If we die, so do they.
Dying with a $10-50M net worth is a different death than the ones most of us experience though.

FromOffTheStreets

Well, let's see:

OT = $1,729,260
12 drivers. $2, 457, 840

Like Ranger said, we have the additional pkg cars setting on the lot not going out. Ups is already paying the benefits of the additional drivers (maybe a little less if they were loading & not driving) fuel is about the same( still driving to the same addresses).
The other thing is the additional routes would most likely be filled with drivers in progression (cutting that # you posted in half)
The only additional payout would be 4 or 5 more loaders who won't stay long enough for benefits.

I'm not saying it would definitely be cheaper but I don't think it would really be much more.

The real reason they don't do it is because they want people quitting so they don't have to pay them a pension for the rest of their lives.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you have 50 drivers running 2 hrs OT each or even 1hr each, they would absolutely save money by running more routes. Especially if they are laying FT drivers off anyways
IMG_5254.jpeg

Dusty01

UPS is like the Fed. They don't necessarily make good decisions in a timely manner. They are reactive, not proactive. If your awareness goes just a little beyond what you are doing next weekend, you could see the signs. I shorted UPS stock in July of 2023 and I shorted them again in December and January. Our earnings report last week was a great payday. That being said, I didn't short them because I was guessing. It was an educated decision based on real signs. There were signs everywhere that our volume was excessively low. When you can walk down the belt and visually see that you can walk through just about every truck on any given day during peak season, that should tell you something. Historically, normal peak season days came with full trucks and multiple shuttles out to areas, followed by air meets in the evenings due to most driver's having late ETA's. This peak season came with empty trucks, early ETA's and few shuttles.

That being said, things will get much worse before it gets a little better. The signs are everywhere.
Cut your personal costs and invest until it hurts because inflation will eat away at your $$$ stuffed in your pillow.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
People say that every year. What dept do you think is responsible for the network planning shift from manual to automated hubs? Because we mainly have drivers in this forum, they think the only function IE has is planning volume and stops. It's more than that.
Do you :censored2: the rest up as bad as you do planning volume and stops?

Brownwind

UPS is like the Fed. They don't necessarily make good decisions in a timely manner. They are reactive, not proactive. If your awareness goes just a little beyond what you are doing next weekend, you could see the signs. I shorted UPS stock in July of 2023 and I shorted them again in December and January. Our earnings report last week was a great payday. That being said, I didn't short them because I was guessing. It was an educated decision based on real signs. There were signs everywhere that our volume was excessively low. When you can walk down the belt and visually see that you can walk through just about every truck on any given day during peak season, that should tell you something. Historically, normal peak season days came with full trucks and multiple shuttles out to areas, followed by air meets in the evenings due to most driver's having late ETA's. This peak season came with empty trucks, early ETA's and few shuttles.

That being said, things will get much worse before it gets a little better. The signs are everywhere.
Cut your personal costs and invest until it hurts because inflation will eat away at your $$$ stuffed in your pillow.
Enjoy some downtime and relax. Everyone is crying about overtime and not having a life. Now’s your chance to take a break chill out and spend some of the money we’ve been hoarding away. I’m looking forward to having a few burner weeks. Might even get out to New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.