Leave Ground for Express?

El Burro

The starting pay sucks, sure, but you hit 36 or whatever in four years right? How do transfers work? Like, if I wanted to do a couple years in Seattle then come back here how does that work if the waiting list is 12 years? You actually have to wait for a spot to open and transfers get first dibs or they just take you on regardless?

floridays

Another question are they gonna raise our top rate next year anyone hear managers talking about that, as UPS new top rate is 41 compared to my 32. That's a big difference. Curious if they are gonna raise our top rate.
They are, the new top rate will be 27.00.

floridays

Unless the economy crashes like 2008 I think it's a safe bet they'll be annual. The company has too many problems with retention, especially in a better economy, to start playing those kind of games again.
That wasn't his question, he wasn't asking for prognostication. It is not written anywhere as policy that the steps are annual. The pilots have a contract, the rest have inducements to stay.

!Retired!

Do YOU want to be my friend, too?
I don't post here enough to really care.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Is 35 too late in the game for UPS? Last I heard the waiting list around here in SoCal is 10 years to even get on a truck, whereas 10 years at Express would put me in a pretty good spot. Would I be stuck working 20 or less hours a week loading trucks for that entire time? I think I've heard you can drive during peak for top rate, though?

I know folks at UPS work insane hours but I gotta be honest -- I've never seen a UPS guy run like some of us Ground donkeys have to all day. I've gone 9 years using on average one vacation day a year, zero sick days, and typically don't have time to take lunch or breaks period for 10 hour shifts.

I love the freedom of working for Ground but I can never get any time off. My contractor always has a "we don't have anyone cover your route!" excuse.

To be honest, even pay aside, having a job with paid time off and a lunch break every day sounds so nice. Should I give UPS a try? It sounds risky in terms of how long it could take to become a driver. But also if the new contract passes they're going to be hiring TONS of new drivers.

The part timers at Express I know complain about never getting enough hours. How is it really?
You can try UPS if you like. But, before you do, head over to the UPS section and read their complaints. It's not all wine and roses. They get pissed on worse than we do. Just ask yourself....Is it REALLY worth making more money and being miserable?

Side note: I delivered a DSR FO to a house I go to a quite often during my regular route, but they're never home. Guy answers the door wearing a UPS uniform....conversation went like this:
Him: You guys are working early
Me: (shrugged my shoulders) Yeah, well these are due by 8:00, someone has to deliver them
Him: I bet you have a long day ahead of you.
Me: Yeah, my route's a little busy today...I probably won't be off until 2:00
The look on his face was priceless.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

You can try UPS if you like. But, before you do, head over to the UPS section and read their complaints. It's not all wine and roses. They get :censored2: on worse than we do. Just ask yourself....Is it REALLY worth making more money and being miserable?

Side note: I delivered a DSR FO to a house I go to a quite often during my regular route, but they're never home. Guy answers the door wearing a UPS uniform....conversation went like this:
Me: (shrugged my shoulders) Yeah, well these are due by 8:00, someone has to deliver them
2:00?!?? I would have had the same look on my face. Lol. I delivered my last stop yesterday at 1830. 2:00, must be nice.

Oldfart

That would be an incorrect statement.
What is incorrect about it? Was my questimate of 10 years incorrect? Did they not give everyone that wasn't topped out a raise the last 2 years and those that were a 6% bonus this past year because of the pending complaints from those not topped out?

Oldfart

I'll check the historical raises when I get back to work. You can find it yourself.
You are more worried about it than me. Why worry about something that happened 7, 8, 9 years ago. Next you will complain about a manager making you unload cans in 2001 like tex always does.

vantexan

That wasn't his question, he wasn't asking for prognostication. It is not written anywhere as policy that the steps are annual. The pilots have a contract, the rest have inducements to stay.
Yes but I can also safely bet that if they give annual raises for the next 15 years there will be people on here in the 16th year saying there's no guarantee that they'll keep doing that. :) Taken as a whole, the company had terrible retention rates when they were screwing us on raises. Was not sustainable. If they do choose to not give raises one year, it will be because the economy is in terrible shape like in 2008-2009. It won't be some willy nilly thing just because they feel like it.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
The starting pay sucks, sure, but you hit 36 or whatever in four years right? How do transfers work? Like, if I wanted to do a couple years in Seattle then come back here how does that work if the waiting list is 12 years? You actually have to wait for a spot to open and transfers get first dibs or they just take you on regardless?
Our top rate 4 years from now will be over 41 an hour.

So how a transfer works is we have a 6 to 1 ratio. So for every 6 part timers they promote to full time they can then take a transfer or hire off the street. They will always go to the transfer list first.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

You can try UPS if you like. But, before you do, head over to the UPS section and read their complaints. It's not all wine and roses. They get :censored2: on worse than we do. Just ask yourself....Is it REALLY worth making more money and being miserable?

Yes our days are typically longer than yours. Am I jealous that you guys are off by 5 or 6 everyday. Yes. That being said.
I have excellent medical, dental and vision health benefits that do not cost me a dime.
Pension and 401k.
I'm going to make between 110k-120k this year depending on how peak goes.
I have a combined total of 7 weeks of vacation. Will max at out 10. Those being paid at 45 hours a week. Not 40.

Ask any ups driver if they would go work for FedEx.
How many ups drivers quit and run over to FedEx to be a driver. I'm guessing slim to none.
We have plenty of FedEx guys who jump ship when we are hiring.

vantexan

You are more worried about it than me. Why worry about something that happened 7, 8, 9 years ago. Next you will complain about a manager making you unload cans in 2001 like tex always does.
I volunteered for almost 4 years to unload cans in my late 40's. Unbeknownst to me while I was doing it, except for the occasional odd pain, an artery was clogging up, eventually 99% blocked. That was in 2011. What have you volunteered for in your later years where you actually had to hump? You are so full of crap but you'll never admit it you little purple and orange troll. Bite me.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yes our days are typically longer than yours. Am I jealous that you guys are off by 5 or 6 everyday. Yes. That being said.
I have excellent medical, dental and vision health benefits that do not cost me a dime.
Pension and 401k.
I have a combined total of 7 weeks of vacation. Will max at out 10. Those being paid at 45 hours a week. Not 40.

How many ups drivers quit and run over to FedEx to be a driver. I'm guessing slim to none.
You guys do have the much better deal. I DO have to disagree with you on one thing though. We have a bunch of former UPSers at my station including management. Sometimes they just can’t take the abuse at UPS anymore and come to the other side. Lol.

floridays

Welcome back, have missed your pointed entries.
I enjoy that you understand attempts at bad humor. Thank you Horshack,
DeafeningWateryCoral-size_restricted.gif
thank you sir

floridays

Yes but I can also safely bet that if they give annual raises for the next 15 years there will be people on here in the 16th year saying there's no guarantee that they'll keep doing that. :) Taken as a whole, the company had terrible retention rates when they were screwing us on raises. Was not sustainable. If they do choose to not give raises one year, it will be because the economy is in terrible shape like in 2008-2009. It won't be some willy nilly thing just because they feel like it.
Agreed

floridays

What is incorrect about it? Was my questimate of 10 years incorrect? Did they not give everyone that wasn't topped out a raise the last 2 years and those that were a 6% bonus this past year because of the pending complaints from those not topped out?
Not likely, and I think Tex was just relaying facts of his situation. I don't think what I've posted could be viewed as a complaint, it was merely a statement of fact.

!Retired!

2:00?!?? I would have had the same look on my face. Lol. I delivered my last stop yesterday at 1830. 2:00, must be nice.
FYI....I punch in at 4:30.
Pension and 401k.

I have spoken with quite a few UPS drivers and they all said the same thing when I told them I did not miss a single volleyball game, swim meet, school play or any other event the kids had while in middle and high school. They wish they could get off early enough to do that stuff. Maybe you can. But, I'll bet those that can are far and few between. Yes, the money would be nice. But, it no way makes up for the stuff you drivers miss at home.

Oldfart

I volunteered for almost 4 years to unload cans in my late 40's. Unbeknownst to me while I was doing it, except for the occasional odd pain, an artery was clogging up, eventually 99% blocked. That was in 2011. What have you volunteered for in your later years where you actually had to hump? You are so full of crap but you'll never admit it you little purple and orange troll. Bite me.
LOL. Why don't you tell us how a manager lied to you in 1992 by telling you how many hours you would get. Don't forget to tell us about a manager putting you on a bad route in 1995 and made your stops per hour too high. How bout in 1999 when a manager cut your hours because you went to a director about the manager.