Leaving Fedex Express - What other career options are available?

Jayhawk

I interviewed with the Union Pacific for a train crew position. I was offered the job but turned it down because the start date was Dec 1 and I didn't want to put my manager short handed at peak. There were other reasons such as uncertain work times. The pay and benefits would have been much better. I will apply again if there is an opening.

overflowed

I interviewed with the Union Pacific for a train crew position. I was offered the job but turned it down because the start date was Dec 1 and I didn't want to put my manager short handed at peak. There were other reasons such as uncertain work times. The pay and benefits would have been much better. I will apply again if there is an opening.
Your manager? Wtf? Fedex will not do you the same in kind. If it's a better deal take it. Your manager doesn't give one :censored2: about you. Nor does fedex.

MAKAVELI

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
image.jpg

Seriously? So you had a job with better pay and benefits and turned it down to not leave your managed short-handed? Are you on crack?! I like my manager a lot, but I would be gone so fast it would make his head spin.

Nolimitz

Serious OD on the kool-aid. Wow!

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I understand, Jayhawk....I'm sure your manager would've readily kissed off an offer of a much more lucrative career just to make your life easier as well. After all, opportunity knocks hundreds of times.....right?...And your loyalty to the Reich shall be richly rewarded, you can be very very certain.

Good grief, WTF be the matta witchu?
:asskissf:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You have shamed the whole Jayhawk nation
Young padawan!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Actually, being a train crew member has serious family implications since you are essentially on-call 24/7/365. Thinking of FedEx first? Uh...no.

STFXG

The railroads not all that great for your first ten years. Takes a long time to build seniority there.

The interview doesn't guarantee you a job either. The training can be intense and you have to pass their tests before you can get hired on.

Jayhawk

Not a kool aid drinker as some of you like to say. I do take pride in my work and am not a lazy sob like half the people at my station. My current manager has been at my station for almost 10 years. He hasn't been on my case about gap time, sph, or any of that other crap that I have read about on this board over the years. He lets me do my job and has never questioned me about anything. Sure I think I should make more money. I get as mad as anybody about our bogus pay raises and the BS that MT3 and others feed us. It was a difficult decision not to take the job but as someone mentioned above I would be on call 24/7/365. Also I live 10 minutes from Fedex. The UP job is 45 minutes away.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Keep in mind your manager will most likely be gone before you are and chances are they'll replace him with some Kool-Aid drinking :censored2: who worships Smith and MT3 and micro-manages you and your cronies to no end. Just the way it is these days.

hypo hanna

To the OP...Get a job in a library or bookstore while you go back to school. Or stick with fedex while you go back to school. Either way go back to school since long term prospects for fedex or a Lit degree aren't very good.

DontThrowPackages

Not a kool aid drinker as some of you like to say. I do take pride in my work and am not a lazy sob like half the people at my station. My current manager has been at my station for almost 10 years. He hasn't been on my case about gap time, sph, or any of that other crap that I have read about on this board over the years. He lets me do my job and has never questioned me about anything. Sure I think I should make more money. I get as mad as anybody about our bogus pay raises and the BS that MT3 and others feed us. It was a difficult decision not to take the job but as someone mentioned above I would be on call 24/7/365. Also I live 10 minutes from Fedex. The UP job is 45 minutes away.
30k vs 70k per year...:glare:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Getting blocked in at a loading dock, Street closers, Bridge out, customer telling courier her husband suffered massive heart attack 2 nights ago, all these things the gap report doesn't understand.

You are absolutely correct in that regard and those are things that couriers should note on their gap reports if they are presented with them. That's what feedback is for. If there are stops that consistently eat an inordinate amount of minutes, you should make note of them on your gap report each time you're presented with it.

A common myth is that a single 9 minute delay caused by being blocked in at a loading dock will justify missing the RTB time by 30 minutes.

Make use of them or ignore them at your choosing. The can CYA for you if you know how to use them.