Lenexa Feeder Manager Has Rollaway?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said; but what you fail to realize is that what you heard is not what I meant.

tieguy

Banned
Why do I keep hearing Allen Iverson in my head...

Practice , You're talking about practice..

How can you compare a couple of weeks of training, even months of training to actually doing the job every day. You are a fresh set of eyes and serve a purpose by reminding the actual drivers of things they could do to be safer. Why isn't that good enough for you?

Are you talking to me or to Hoaxster?

If you're talking to me then you have not been paying attention to my many posts. In fact its always been interesting watching other posters take a one line quote of mine and try to use it to define all the points I've made here.

The issue here really has nothing to do with who the better driver is.
My response was never meant to discount oceanraces ( I'll write it out since someone took his name and turned it into race) accomplishments.

However thirty years experience does not always equate to a safe driver. Thus my original point that sitting in a seat for thirty years does not automatically equate to a good driver.

He may have been lucky for five or thirty of those years. It does happen.

In my profession as a DTS Trained driver trainer one of the most difficult parts of my job is often reaching a guy to understand his driving methods suck when he has somehow survived 15 to 20 years without an accident.
He thinks that time period makes him a good driver. I then ride with him and see that he uses poor defensive driving skills that will get him in trouble some day when conditions present thierselves.

Should I shut my mouth simply because I have not been driving as long as he has?

Are you talking to me or to Hoaxster?

If you're talking to me then you have not been paying attention to my many posts. In fact its always been interesting watching other posters take a one line quote of mine and try to use it to define all the points I've made here.

My response was never meant to discount oceanraces ( I'll write it out since someone took his name and turned it into race) accomplishments.

However thirty years experience does not always equate to a safe driver. Thus my original point that sitting in a seat for thirty years does not automatically equate to a good driver.

He may have been lucky for five or thirty of those years. It does happen.

In my profession as a DTS Trained driver trainer one of the most difficult parts of my job is often reaching a guy to understand his driving methods suck when he has somehow survived 15 to 20 years without an accident.
He thinks that time period makes him a good driver. I then ride with him and see that he uses poor defensive driving skills that will get him in trouble some day when conditions present thierselves.

Should I shut my mouth simply because I have not been driving as long as he has?
Wouldn't life have been much easier if you had said this from the start? Not to mention making a long thread much shorter. Tie, I'm not disagreeing with you or slamming you in any way. When you first posted to "race's" post you came across as inflammatory and judgmental. You made it sound as if being able to say all the key words was all that mattered. I know that wasn't the message you wanted to express. No, you shouldn't "shut" your mouth...maybe just filter a little.

wannabeups

I think I saw something on the Speed Channel about DTS. From what they showed it seemed kind of like a military "boot camp".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh, sounds like I hit a nerve, huh?

OK, semantics. They are "Illuminated" when performing the pre-trip. Not "Lit". Geez! You got me!

Hmmm...no corporate auditor this year? Hmm...this "incident" has already been confirmed by PM and others. Here? They have been practicing their "cross-training" for weeks here in anticipation of the "non-corporate" auditor.

Me? Hmmm...Feeders 28 of my 31 years here. 61 years old, 6'0", 195 lbs. OK.

Try me on the pre-post-any trip you want. I can outperform any computer trained geek any day of my life. My "experience" has had me driving most machines you have not even heard of. Marmon, Hendrickson, Emeryville.

Yes, you are right on one count. I DO claim "some type of driving superiority". 31 years service...31 years safe driving. Arrogant? Yes. I've drivin thru Louky, Meadowlands, Cach, Earth City, Denver, Minn, San Fran and all points between. Arrogant? You bet! Have any of your peers match that!

And name calling? That's pretty low, Tie. Have I ever done that? To ANYBODY? Pretty low.

Someone who knows what a Marmon, Hendrickson and an Emeryville are would also know a 5&4, a Brockway and why there used to be something called a White Freightliner. 31 years is pretty impressive anywhere, and I doubt very much that any company program anywhere can improve on a driver who truly knows what he or she is doing. My two cents....we have the same issue with what are called Driver Developers on our side of the fence.

Re-Raise

My response was never meant to discount oceanraces ( I'll write it out since someone took his name and turned it into race) accomplishments

Tieguy We really do have different perceptions of the same things don't we. I look at the original poster's name and I see Raceanoncer and you see Oceanraces.

Also , did you come up through the ranks or were you hired from the outside straight into management?

Fullhouse

They are required to certify on a regular basis to keep thier skills up. they may get a visit from region but there is no "if they like you" auditor from corporate this year.

Despite your claims of being some type of driving god you can take anyone and train them to drive a tractor trailer. Many of the current tractor trailer drivers are also computer geeks so I guess you're going to have to find some other type of slur to put down those you believe are so far beneath your **.
The only class that UPS does not not force Sups to take!

tieguy

Banned
Wouldn't life have been much easier if you had said this from the start? Not to mention making a long thread much shorter. Tie, I'm not disagreeing with you or slamming you in any way. When you first posted to "race's" post you came across as inflammatory and judgmental. You made it sound as if being able to say all the key words was all that mattered. I know that wasn't the message you wanted to express. No, you shouldn't "shut" your mouth...maybe just filter a little.

I think if you keep my post in context with the one I responded to then it all makes sense.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy We really do have different perceptions of the same things don't we. I look at the original poster's name and I see Raceanoncer and you see Oceanraces.

Also , did you come up through the ranks or were you hired from the outside straight into management?

All management is concieved by immaculate conception. You didn't know?:happy-very:

Through the ranks done just about every job at one time or another.

some1else

Banned
All management is concieved by immaculate conception. You didn't know?:happy-very:

Through the ranks done just about every job at one time or another.
on monday i had a ft sup tell me " i was a driver blah blah blah" and i couldnt help but laugh at the "30 day wonder" lol.

it sounds like you drove for a while; i just dont understand why they both with the 30 day thing for pt sups to get promoted. it doesnt get them any respect or experience

tieguy

Banned
on monday i had a ft sup tell me " i was a driver blah blah blah" and i couldnt help but laugh at the "30 day wonder" lol.

it sounds like you drove for a while; i just dont understand why they both with the 30 day thing for pt sups to get promoted. it doesnt get them any respect or experience

I've never heard a sup get respect in this area. its either said that he did not drive long enough or if he drove for a while then they say he took a promotion to get out of doing hard work / couldn't cut it etc.:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
I've never heard a sup get respect in this area. its either said that he did not drive long enough or if he drove for a while then they say he took a promotion to get out of doing hard work / couldn't cut it etc.:happy-very:

LOL! Yup, you hear those two often enough! Right now I can think of five drivers who drove for at least a year, could do the job, and then went into management. Two have since left the company (one made it to driver sup, one made it to center manager). The other 3 are still here. I'm sure there are more.

I have great respect for a couple of Feeder sups who have been actual real genuine truck drivers (outside of UPS). They know how to drive.
I was lucky to have one of them with me on my 40 hr unproductive. I learned more from him than in CDL driving school.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I don't know about all this name calling. What I do know is that I am highly trained to drive a vehicle that bends in three places, can, depending on the load, skip all over the place, and I can do it in any weather, day or night. I count on my supervisor to find my faults, and make me aware of them. I mean, I drive the same tractor everyday. I know that the safety triangles are in the case, and I know that I have all the paperwork that the tractor is supposed to have, so I drop those items off the pretrip. And I get gigged every year on those items. If given the chance, would I go to DTS school? Most likely, as I relish a challenge. Just like I would love the chance to run the Dalton, with 80,000lbs in the trl behind me. I would have to do it just once, and then I could mark it off my bucket list.

blue efficacy

OK, City, since you're from the freight side, you are not faced with this yet...YET! Here's the deal.

UPS Parcel has had this procedure in place for many years. They take a person that they like...um...kinda like your terminal clerk, and teach them to drive a truck, even if they don't want to. After forcing them to get a CDL and sending them to Top Gun school in South Holland, IL (or whereever else they hold em), where, it seems, everyone comes back in the top of their class, they are now qualified to teach YOU how to drive a truck, irregardless of your years of experience. They are now called your supervisor or manager.
"Irregardless" is not a word. :smart:

moreluck

golden ticket member
IRREGARDLESS - no such word! Use regardless or
irrespective.

Irregardless is an informal term meaning regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "incorrect" or "nonstandard".

I treat it like the term, 'ain't'. It may be accepted and you may find it in a dictionary, but it ain't proper.

IRREGARDLESS - no such word! Use regardless or
irrespective.

Irregardless is an informal term meaning regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "incorrect" or "nonstandard".

I treat it like the term, 'ain't'. It may be accepted and you may find it in a dictionary, but it ain't proper.

Irregardless, there ain`t no reason to get bent out of shape over it.