Lenexa Feeder Manager Has Rollaway?

wannabeups

Many of your older diesel engines (in particular Macks) had a knob you pulled which was a manual shut-off for the engine. It was the way the injector pump was designed. If the shut off even went in a little ways and the vehicle got bumped, (in particular with spring brakes, if the yellow button wasn't pulled out either) the engine would start and the truck would just idle along until it hit something that stopped it.

I know what you are what you are talking about now. The kill switch. The switch is kind of like the old open throttle switch. I have driven a few of them that you would have to keep pressure on to kill the engine. That makes sense. Sorry I am so slow to figure these things

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
MFB, I agree with you. (not that I'm a mechanic) I learned to slip shift and it is, by far, less stressfull on everything involved (including my knee) if done properly. I would have a hard time not doing it. Habit. The only thing you need a clutch for is starting out. IMHO
:happy-very:

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
If you go to Eatons website and view their online videos they recommend double-clutching. If I recall they say the average driver shifting without the clutch will mess up about 20% of his shifts. Which they feel is more detrimental to the transmission. Most clutch wear happens when starting out or backing up when your "slipping" the clutch, particularly backing up spotting a trailer. When you shift and double clutch you quickly disengage and engage the clutch. The slippage is minimal then.

(I'm an ex-mechanic, ASE certified although they've expired.)
Understandable, I was just writing what I've experienced with our equipment, I do agree that there is not that much wear on the clutch when actually double shifting, but there is evidence that not using the clutch to shift will get you more miles out of it. And again only if you can shift extremly well without double clutching.:peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I used to train for a trucking company that I worked for a few years ago. For the most part the drivers that were hired were decent drivers but I had one that could not shift worth a tinkers damn. All trucks shift differently and most drivers are capable of getting a new (to the driver) truck figured out with in a matter of an hour and on rare cases a matter of a couple of hours. We were in that truck for 10/12 hours and he could not get. He would grind the gears every single time he shifted. By the end of the day my jaws hurt from clenching my teeth. He was the only driver that I ever gave a negative report on. And I can tell you, he did NOT like it one little bit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Interesting thread. When I worked for Brown as a Peak season feeder driver, one of the first things we were told was that if you had a rollaway you were gone...end of story. When I drove RTD (same as feeder) for FedEx, it was the same deal. In fact, any sort of runaway vehicle, be it Econoline van or tractor-trailer means instant termination unless there is some sort of mechanical defect.

Over my many years at FedEx I have seen several people skate away from runaways like they were Tonya Harding because they were on the "good" (management suck-up) list and not on the "bad" list. It also helps to be female or a minority when the vehicle gets loose because HR is afraid of the race or gender card being played. In other words, it depends on who you are if they are trying to can you for a rollaway.

brown67

So no real reason now to leave trucks in neutral other than its just a method. Newer trucks don't have the problems the older ones do with getting stuck in gear or rolling away and starting?

bluehdmc

So no real reason now to leave trucks in neutral other than its just a method. Newer trucks don't have the problems the older ones do with getting stuck in gear or rolling away and starting?

I personally think it would be better to stay in the habit of leaving the truck in neutral. If the truck rolls with the spring brake applied there is a problem with the spring brakes. Of course you should check this in your spring brake. Also I've had occasion where the truck has to be started to build up air pressure to jack up an H-frame trailer. If you just reached in an turned the key and the truck was in gear it could jump and someone could get injured. I don't really understand the previous post where the driver was disqualified for not leaving the truck in gear. A lot of trucks used by the postal service and municpalities and buses have automatic transmissions. These transmissions don't usually have a park position, and would rollaway if the parking brake was not applied.

Braveheart

I want you to say that to GOD when he asks you if you think you are above his law smarty pants.
I guess when someone gets frustrated because they don't understand what someone is saying and they can't formulate a rational response, they then post some childish gibberish like this. It's been almost 20 years since I had a teenager in the house but let me try this again. :childish: (PS: This is the Tit for Tat part of my reply).:childish:

I never question anything God tells me to do nor do I think my self above the laws of my country in any way.
My point is that a rule or guideline stipulated in the contract between UPS and the Union is not a Law.
Sorry, I thought that was obvious but for you, I'll draw you a picture and send it to you via PM. I don't think anyone else on the site needs it, so no reason to post it. :wink2:

Bring a parachute dude so you can at least enjoy the view on the way down.

Your post was childish so here is is my childish, moronic reply. "I'll try not to hit you on your head when I land." :devil3:

Which brings me to one of my favorite retorts, "Better to be a smartass than a :censored2:." :funny:
It is a law, "Contract Law". You think you are above your own rules and your own contract law. You want respect but you are not man enough to admit that if a manager has a roll away he should be fired just like any of us. So if he comes to work drunk, high on dope, touches a female customer on her breast, steals time or packages, punches anyone on company property then the manager still does not get fired. Why, because he wears a tie?! All men are created equal ring a bell? That means all men should be held equally accountable too.

Who is the child? You call me names many times big guy I just tried to get you to see the path that lies before you with your pompous actions.

You are such a hypocrite. You make rules and enforce them on us but look the other way when it is one of your own. Sorry you will not hit me for I am not a two faced snake.

You must obide by your own rules, laws, and guidelines or you are a liar. If one can not be held accountable to his own rules then he has no integrity. You wonder why workers fail to give respect to people like you it is because of your holier than thou attitude.

Webster's Dictionary, HOAX= a trick or fraud, To deceive with a hoax. You are a fraud. To deceive is to lie. You are a liar then too huh. It is your name so at least you are be honest about being a liar. So thanks for that.

A true leader would have said yes he too should have been fired as we managers are to be held equally accountable for our actions just as we would hold accountable our employees for the same actions.

But no not Hoax. Did not the devil trick by deceit or hoax? Just a thought.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is a law, "Contract Law".

No it's not, it is a TERM within the contract ... not a law.
A contract is defined by terms and conditions, not laws.

You think you are above your own rules and your own contract law.
Contract is for Union employees not non-union employees.

That means all men should be held equally accountable too.
I agree ... however, it's not determined for a non-union employee by the contract with Teamster union.

Who is the child? You call me names many times big guy I just tried to get you to see the path that lies before you with your pompous actions.
Funny I think ... Huh? :happy-very:

You must obide by your own rules, laws, and guidelines or you are a liar. If one can not be held accountable to his own rules then he has no integrity. You wonder why workers fail to give respect to people like you it is because of your holier than thou attitude.
I try to abide by the rules and guidelines UPS has communicated to me. UPS has no laws.

Webster's Dictionary, HOAX= a trick or fraud, To deceive with a hoax. You are a fraud. To deceive is to lie. You are a liar then too huh. It is your name so at least you are be honest about being a liar. So thanks for that.
Thanks for recognizing my honesty. :funny:

A true leader would have said yes he too should have been fired as we managers are to be held equally accountable for our actions just as we would hold accountable our employees for the same actions.
A true leader thinks about the situation and realizes that s/he should not treat every occurrence exactly the same ... unless they are forced to by the union contract.
I guess you disagree with 705red that UPS should have treated the 5 year person with cancer differently from a healthy new hire?

But no not Hoax. Did not the devil trick by deceit or hoax? Just a thought.
Funny I think ... Huh? :happy-very:

Now that's funny ... thanks for the entertainment from the logically impaired.

Sincerely not covered by the UPS Teamsters union contract,
The Hoaxster

Last edited:

srudbyups

Feeder manager put imformation in feeder news letter claiming he did have rollaway "BUT IT WAS BECAUSE HE WAS DISTRACTED" Do you think the same man would take that excuse from a driver!

UPSNewbie

Feeder manager put imformation in feeder news letter claiming he did have rollaway "BUT IT WAS BECAUSE HE WAS DISTRACTED" Do you think the same man would take that excuse from a driver!

I'm pretty sure there are a hundred more distractions on the road than a blank space in the yard... What an idiot.

over9five

Staff member
One wonders how he will ever be able to discipline a driver who has a roll-away, or anything else.
He has certainly lost all credibility with his drivers, and maybe the ability to effectively manage them.

raceanoncr

Distracted? DISTRACTED? From what I hear, this maroon(yes, spelling intentional) would fire you if you were "distracted" whilst walking out of a crosswalk one step at UPS.

I still say, CORPORATE BROWN CAFE MONITORS, you MUST pass the word along! This action has stepped over the line!

And him admitting it, too. Amazing!

over9five

Staff member
I guess it does prove that we are the professional drivers - not the management team.

If you were to be overly fair, you'd say it is far worse for a professional driver to have a roll-away then a manager who rarely drives a truck.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess it does prove that we are the professional drivers - not the management team.

If you were to be overly fair, you'd say it is far worse for a professional driver to have a roll-away then a manager who rarely drives a truck.

Obviously, it seems, in terms of consequences. :wink2:

bluehdmc

This just makes it worse IMO, probably would have been better not to have mentioned it at all. This would not be an acceptable excuse from a driver and I certainly don't think it's an acceptable excuse from someone who is supposed to train a driver. Should have left well enough alone instead of bringing the subject up again..

some1else

Banned
lmao; there where ten pages on this! the issue is the mgmt is claiming b/c of their super-training they are better drivers! gawd